It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man loses hand to Alligator - Charged with unlawful feeding!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Weatherholt was leading an Indiana family on a tour of the Everglades on June 12 when he encountered a 9-foot alligator, which bit his hand off at the wrist.

The Associated Press reports that airboat passengers stated Weatherholt hung a fish over the side of the boat and had his hand at the water’s surface when the alligator attacked. .

OK...yes it sucks he lost his hand...and OK...YES he was stupid, but I am OK with him getting charged for feeding the alligators.

He has a boat full of family and children???? Do you know why it is illegal to feed the alligators???

Cuz next time that alligator sees a boat full of kids...he won't hide...he will think ...yum...FOOD!

Let's say this guy has been feeding the alligators for a year or two. Then one day he pulls up to his spot, the alligators get all excited and circle the boat and a kid scrambles to get a view over the side of the boat and falls in?

It is beyond stupid. It is putting people at risk. Glad they charged him. Letting him off simply would be unfair to those tour operators that follow the law.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I take your points and I agree entirely with them. Had this man been seen doing this, I'd be all for the charges and frankly, more. Given the reasoning of how gators would become half way domesticated in their approach to people, but only HALF-way of course, I can see the reason for the laws very well. They make real sense for safety.

What is the purpose of fines or actual jail, as apparently this charge can carry? Is it correction to see a person doesn't do it again or is it strictly punitive to punish a person?

If repeating the crime is the point, I believe stubby here is safe for not doing this again. I believe he's physically unable to commit his offense a second time. If punishment is the purpose, wasn't losing a hand punishment? Should charges still be leveled as if he were unaffected, unrepentant and generally just telling everyone he did nothing wrong? He;ll be reminded of this idiotic move every day, for the rest of his life. I don't know, that seems punishment enough to trying to give a family a show on their tour.

One could even say the stupidity he's apparently been cursed with is a form of punishment all it's own.

Giving the wildlife a hand strikes me as getting the point across quite well though.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
So, the exact reason why the feeding is unlawful is to avoid injury. This man fed the 'gators. He got hurt. He broke the laws, and SHOULD pay the fine.

Just because you get hurt doing something stupid does not remove the legal ramifications.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

If repeating the crime is the point, I believe stubby here is safe for not doing this again. I believe he's physically unable to commit his offense a second time. If punishment is the purpose, wasn't losing a hand punishment?

He has another hand?...Or maybe he can dangle the fish by his "Captain Hook" hand next time? That should bring in the tourists!

Kidding aside...The fine wasn't just punishment, it was to discourage other idiots from repeating the stupidity.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
You guys are brutal... lol

I do hope no one rooting for the maximum penalty for stubby is a cop or anything. I'd be terrified to commit some major offense like breaking the speed limit by a couple mile an hour.

Well, at least we know there are some very serious law and order types. In that way I guess I feel a bit more at home, even if this guy isn't who I'd order up some law for personally. I think he got handed a pretty big bite of reality as it is.

(hops off before just bursting with laughter...in a perfectly lawful way of course)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

haha. sorry man- but sometimes people deserve whats comming to them.
Not only that, but they should have to pay for wasting the publics money on
emergency services for the stupid.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Wouldn't that be like getting stabbed, dragging yourself to the hospital and being charged with "carrying a conceled weapon"?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I think this is a good idea to charge him on top of that because it gives other stupid people another thing to think about. Usually stupid people tend to be poor because well... They make stupid decisions. So, if they realize that the end result may end up in a fine then they may decide against it. But let's be honest, we're dealing with stupid here.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Wouldn't that be like getting stabbed, dragging yourself to the hospital and being charged with "carrying a conceled weapon"?

almost..but it would be "like stabbing yourself, dragging yourself to the hospital and being charged with "carrying a concealed weapon".

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

The hand this man lost happened to be holding a fish to feed the Gator from his Air Boat.

He seriously did this from an inflatable boat?

He's lucky he only lost a hand.

ETA: Just looked up air boats. It's not inflatable like I thought. Still stupid but...
edit on 31/7/12 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Its a little closer to breaking into a car, cutting a vein, going to the hospital and getting charged. Again, getting hurt while committing the crime does not make the crime null.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Feeding a gator reduces their fear of man and can lead to attacks on other people. The law is not so much to protect the person doing the feeding whom one would hope is smart enough to avoid being attacked but, to protect the next unsuspecting person walking along a lake or river that gator decides might have food like the last person. So yes the fine is completely ok.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
i might sound a little calloused here, but, being from "gator country", i'm with the cops on this one. yes, it sucks he lost his hand.

BUT, he is endangering more people by feeding the alligator, now the gator will make more of an attempt to see if the next set of humans he comes accross have food too. more encounters WILL lead to more attacks.

its a good policy, dont feed the gators, its not hard to follow.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CompisMentis
If we are talking about the justice system i do not think it is too much to give him a fine. He did something he was not allowed too, period. Are we going to not fine people because they hurt themselves doing something illegal?

What i think of it? Give the guy a break. He just lost his hand!

If the guy crashed a car and lost his hand, we would fine him and have done so with others previously. He knowingly broke the law. This is no different.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There's a difference between letting someone off for something that's technically illegal, but was completely unintentional and they're paying the price, and letting someone off for something they stupidly chose to do, and happened to get hurt doing it. When the mom accidentally leaves her baby in her car and it dies, and she is by all other accounts a wonderful and attentive mom, you don't charge her for it, it was a mistake and there's no use trying to discourage others from unintentionally leaving their kids in their cars with the threat of punishment. Losing your child is enough. But losing your hand when you chose to feed an alligator is absolutely not enough; you need to be made a mockery of.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Okay... I give up. lol.. I find myself outnumbered to a consensus! The premise was as much tongue in cheek as anything, for a story that actually happened but seems almost too absurd to be true. Everyone gets all serious these days.

I mean, like I said before, this level of stupidity is a punishment all it's own, isn't it? Some applause for that accomplishment seems right. C'mon, everyone give the guy a han.... err.. Uhh.. Yeah.

(No need to treat every story like we're sworn Jurors, obligated to be 100% fair and judge like our words carry such weight.
)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Sorry, maybe I'm calling them the wrong thing. The story looks like one of those swamp boats with the big propeller on the rear like one associates with the Everglades. I thought Air Boat was the term? Those are Aluminum and flat bottom I believe.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Not only is it dangerous to feed an alligator, they start associating people with food, so every time the gator sees a person, they think they're gonna get fed. It brings the animals uncomfortably close to people.He lost his hand because he was stupid..In this case I think nature did the sentencing. Don't really see a need to punish him further..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Oh, well.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Bet ol' Lefty isn't try that stunt again anytime soon.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reminds me of this song.....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join