It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man loses hand to Alligator - Charged with unlawful feeding!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Oh, my fellow ATS members I wish I could say this was a joke or a hoax. I really wish I could report that I misplaced where I posted and this isn't actually happening. Unfortunately, as I sit here listening to CNN in the background, I heard this story on there and then found it online! This is really happening.

Florida Man Loses Hand to Alligator, Charged With Unlawful Feeding

A Florida man's day went from bad to worse when he got his hand bitten off by an alligator and was charged with illegally feeding the animal.

To be clear, 63-year-old Wallace Weatherholt's crime wasn't feeding the alligator his hand — that falls under the "unfortunate accident" defense. It was the fish he dangled in front of the 9-foot gator that led to his being charged (and, of course, having an appendage bitten off).
Source

Now as the story notes, there is a minor technical distinction on what gets him the charge. The hand this man lost happened to be holding a fish to feed the Gator from his Air Boat. Not smart, no. He's obviously not in the running for any IQ records. However, he's out $1,000 bail and, well, the guy lost his hand.

One might think that would be enough or perhaps, a charge could have just been left out entirely? I mean it's pretty cold to follow the ambulance with this horrible an injury to go get the guy. They obviously feel very strongly about their animal feeding laws, but this seems a bit much by any standard?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
seriously adding insult to injury here. completely unnecessary, you think he didnt learn his lesson? notice the missing hand lol

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by blu3nowh3r3
seriously adding insult to injury here. completely unnecessary, you think he didnt learn his lesson? notice the missing hand lol

You know, the story struck me as so unlikely, I've really had to work to keep my own laughter out of the sheer insanity of the situation. It's outright absurd. They did show a riverbank with a bunch of Alligators along it and then the boat and dock area. I assume one of the Alligators pictured got the hand-out.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
thats because they couldnt charge him with being an idiot ... looks like the gator gave him a good lesson on what happens when people get stupid ....
never ceases to amaze how many people think that wild animals can be treated like housepets only to learn otherwise the hard way - DONT PLAY WITH THE ANIMALS ...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

He only lost a hand, while they killed the alligator. I don't care how much they fine him.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Ever seen a gator cut open so they could pull a partially digested child from its gut? Me neither....thanks to laws that make it illegal to feed an alligator.

Yes, it seems petty. And I abhor most laws. This is one of the "good ones", as it at least gives recourse to idiots like this one that teach gators that humans are a food source.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by blu3nowh3r3

it has nothing to do with him learning a lesson or not. It has everything to do with making an example out of him regarding this very, very serious matter.

Gators will crawl right up into someones yard and eat their pets and children. There is no reason to interact with gators unless you are a professional doing licensed work. They aren't cute, cuddly critters. They are cold, ruthless killers.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Only in America.

Give it any bets the courts are going to stick it to him too.
edit on 30-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
what a moron.

Call him Chubbs from now on.
(Happy Gilmore)

"Awe, aint he so cute hunny? lets see if he will eat this fish from my hand... "Here gator gator gator..come get your fish.....AHHHH! Holy Hell he got my hand!!! AHHH!! Why didnt they warn us gators were aggressive?"

people are so ignorant sometimes.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

There are tons of gators where I live and even the stupidest of the stupid idiots around here know not to try and feed one. I have no sympathy for this guy, there isn't even a word that can describe how dumb that is.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Crazy!

Well, at least they didn't sue the alligator for unlawful eating.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
If we are talking about the justice system i do not think it is too much to give him a fine. He did something he was not allowed too, period. Are we going to not fine people because they hurt themselves doing something illegal?

What i think of it? Give the guy a break. He just lost his hand!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CompisMentis

Well, and if we are to be humorous....

....Ever since I have read the story I have Gotye in my head:

"But you didn't have to bite it off
Now when i give myself a stranger
it feels so rough"

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by blu3nowh3r3

it has nothing to do with him learning a lesson or not. It has everything to do with making an example out of him regarding this very, very serious matter.

Gators will crawl right up into someones yard and eat their pets and children. There is no reason to interact with gators unless you are a professional doing licensed work. They aren't cute, cuddly critters. They are cold, ruthless killers.

You seem to know a lot about gators. My knowledge on the subject is limited. Would they really go out of their living area and hunt for human flesh ?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I don't know that much about gators, other than I have seen on television (news reports) of people having gators crawl over chain link fences, etc.

There are plenty of those "reality shows", but as i have seen with the American Hoggers one, they embellish the hell out of the scenes.

Regardless, those laws are in place for that reason.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

well...i don't think i want to look at it again...but feel free to Google up some stories about "alligator eats child" or "dog". There are plenty of stories.

Then go to YouTube to search videos relating to "alligator in yard".

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
if you read the comments underneath, it looks possible that he was a tour guide, slapping his hand on the water to get the gators to come to him, and using his unregulated feeding of said aligator to get more custom for the said tours.

on the surface of it, it looks harsh, but when you take the above information into account then it seems less harsh. wonder what the truth of it is.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
if you read the comments underneath, it looks possible that he was a tour guide, slapping his hand on the water to get the gators to come to him, and using his unregulated feeding of said aligator to get more custom for the said tours.

on the surface of it, it looks harsh, but when you take the above information into account then it seems less harsh. wonder what the truth of it is.

I believe I need to add to my thread. Perhaps this should also be considered an example of what MSM doesn't mention in their broadcast stuff, as a side note.

I did some more digging and jumping back links to get to what looks like the original story or real close to it. It has all the nitty gritty details. Here is the rest of the story:

Weatherholt was leading an Indiana family on a tour of the Everglades on June 12 when he encountered a 9-foot alligator, which bit his hand off at the wrist.

The Associated Press reports that airboat passengers stated Weatherholt hung a fish over the side of the boat and had his hand at the water’s surface when the alligator attacked.

Feeding alligators is illegal. Those who feed an alligator face a second-degree misdemeanor, with a fine of up to $500 and possible jail time.
Source

I don't know that it makes anything less absurd about the idea of continuing legal action against a guy that lost his hand. That ought to be punishment enough. Whats the point of $500 and the rest when what he lost on the scene was so far beyond all that.

No word on which hand it was. Not a small consideration for a guy.

Really.. So many little punishments are in that loss of a hand..

edit on 30-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Score one for common sense!......

I think ima offer a steak to a grizzly bear next time I see one!

In all seriousness though....some of these laws are put in place because....it really should be common sense.

Now it's time for me to go hug a 20 foot anaconda.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Corrupted cops probably though that it would be funny !
they have complete power after all .. they are the law
if they wanted to charge someone helping a poor lady crossing the street
for assault and molesthing .. THEY CAN

i still doubt this article
maybe its a satire jk article from people that dont love cops
if its true .. the sad thing it wouldnt surprise me
many wicked people out there that think they are funny
it was probably a dare between a group of clowns rogue cops

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join