It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Control Panel item - Location and Other Sensors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I went into my Control Panel today and hay presto there was a new item in the list called Location and Other Sensors. Never seen it before and I can't think of what I've downloaded to cause it to install.

When i Open it, it states that it is enabled but that no sensors are installed.

I run:
Windows 7
IObit Malware Fighter
Malware bytes
Advanced System Care
Wise Care 365
Wise registery cleaner a
CCleaner

Any ideas on where it came from and how to get rid of it?

thanks
edit on 29-7-2012 by learnatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Interesting... I'm looking into this, but the feature wasn't added by malware. Meanwhile, disable the option and check the Windows firewall (and the firewall on your router) if you're paranoid about this.

Edited to add: There's a page on this. Looks like it's a way for the OS to use geolocation without GPS. Most browsers send geolocation data out anyway unless they're configured otherwise.
edit on 29-7-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by learnatic

Explanation: S&F!

Here ...

Introduction to the Sensor and Location Platform in Windows [msdn.microsoft.com]

Enable or disable a sensor [windows.microsoft.com]

Windows 7 Ult - Control panel - location and other sensors [answers.microsoft.com]

List of Control Panel Applets in Windows: Complete List of Control Panel Applets in Windows 7, Vista, and XP [pcsupport.about.com]

Personal Disclosure: I hope that info dump helps. I do not believe [or know] if anything in control panel can be removed as they are important system based apps and so I urge caution in trying to disable them till you are fully informed as to their nature etc. Goodluck!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Thanks for your help people, much appreciated.
cheers

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
So Microsoft now has a GPS locator installed on your PC? Why would anyone want Microsoft to now their physical whereabouts? I take many steps to hide my location, and now Windows users get it by automatically. Another good reason not to run Windows.

join