It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're Poor, You Didn't Get There On Your Own. Government Helped You Get There...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MassOccurs

Except it is near impossible to know for certain an environment. Rape rates were lower in the slumps of the Great Depression than they were in the projects of today. Same people. Same environment. Different culture.

I am an architect major. And one things we learn in study is the fact that poor people in the same environment react totally different based off how you design something. Same people, same environment. Totally different crime rates and graduation rates based purely off how you designed their homes.

The fact is that poor people in US low income housing become violent criminals, while poor people in low income housing in, say, Sweden, end up pretty well off in the long run.

Being poor, alone, does not determine your future and what type of person you are. Not even your environment does. What determines how you end up is primarily a result of your government's ruling style.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

That's interesting stuff. I'd like to note that a good amount of the poor in America are minorities/immigrants. I wonder about the psychology of being ethnically different than the ruling class/government and the effects it has on decision making. Do black people consider themselves black first or American first? Swedish people, I'm assuming, are mostly Swedish in identity and are less likely to rebel against the law in addition to having favorable housing styles.

Also, I'm under the impression that Sweden is a far left government with a high tax rate and significant social security/welfare system and government health care. Much of this thread has argued that this type of thing perpetuates poverty.

With regard to ruling style, I'm really not even sure who my rulers are. The US government? The corporate complex? Or are they one and the same?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MassOccurs

In the US, your rulers are local, federal, and yes, corporate.

This is just how societies evolve over time. In Ancient Rome circa 200AD it was no different. You had your local rulers whom were usually natives of the land, your federal rulers whom were the senators and Emperor, and your Corporate ones, which in those days were the military...well more accurately the mercs.

From here you really can go down two choices. Social unity or sacrificing to your god the dollar. Eastern empire chose the first, Western empire chose the second. You can discern for yourself from there.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Most taxpayers wouldn't CARE or judge the why or how people collecting a welfare check got there or how they use it if they would just DO something in return. Want your welfare check? Take your family which amounts to a crew of 12 and go paint a few park benches, trim the bushes at government buildings, volunteer to help out at a school.

Funnily enough, if that were to happen, recipients scream "slave labor", unions cry because they fear "theirs" will be infringed upon, racist propagandists come out of the woodwork and human rights people all freak out. It happened when our city began putting prisoners to work on city type stuff.

But guess what? Working taxpayers are REQUIRED to perform tasks to receive the "check".

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I live in New Zealand, I work full time and im still in debt, doesnt matter what i make each week, i cant seem to get out of it. Sucks really

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BazRaza7
I live in New Zealand, I work full time and im still in debt, doesnt matter what i make each week, i cant seem to get out of it. Sucks really

Quit the full time job. Work part time. And quit buying all those things. Learn to enjoy the things that are free.

There are so many good free things out there, that a person could spend many lifetimes just occupied with their enjoyment.

But, people have been "duped" into believing that they need this or that "expensive" thing.

For almost every essential thing that is being "sold" out there, you can find a "free" alternative, or one that is very "inexpensive" to replace it with.

When you quit your full time job, you'll have "time" to think and explore all these alternative ways of living.

But, once you're on the "treadmill" of some jobmaster's business, you have no time to think for yourself, just enough time to eat and pay the bills, sleep, and get up early to get to work again the next day. Basically, the jobmaster is just paying to keep you alive, so that you can come back to work the next day.

Until you quit, you'll never know how great life is on the other side.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hudson69
reply to post by The Old American

OP is poor. OP blames other people for his lack of wealth. OP is stupid.

You can't even comprehend the meaning of the post and you call me stupid? What a laugh.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Actually, the poor work many times harder then the en.wikipedia.org...
And the rich get most of the welfare.
The leisure class contributes nothing. * They simply bet on us, the creative ones and those that actually create value.
* I always laugh when I hear "the job creators". Good grief they think we are idiots! The elite are the ones that caused the unemployment.
www.youtube.com...

They should have a program where the poor go to rich neighborhoods and instruct them about the value of work!
edit on 12-8-2012 by wittgenstein because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join