It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're Poor, You Didn't Get There On Your Own. Government Helped You Get There...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by The Old American

You do realize he was talking about bridges and roads....

"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

Bridges and roads made every successful person what they are today? Man, put down the Kool-Aid, it's poison.

/TOA

/TOA

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Sounds like a big stereo type. What do you define as welfare? Because
in my state the most people get are food stamps unless they are disabled, kids, elderly.
They don't just say hey have cash if you don't want to work. And the people who get cash
I think it's 200 dollars a
Mo unless they are on state based disability or federal.

It's not enough for a person to live on.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnathanandheather

Sounds like a big stereo type. What do you define as welfare? Because
in my state the most people get are food stamps unless they are disabled, kids, elderly.
They don't just say hey have cash if you don't want to work. And the people who get cash
I think it's 200 dollars a
Mo unless they are on state based disability or federal.

It's not enough for a person to live on.

Stereotype? Who am I stereotyping? Good job missing the point of the thread, though. You keep on missing it, and we'll keep watching you drive on by.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Labrynth2012

www.statisticbrain.com...

Mostly Blacks and Whites, Hispanics come in at # 3 with half the percentages of the previous 2.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I would be considered upper middle class, but both my parents grew up relatively poor. My dad worked his ass off without a high school diploma to get to where we are now. So my whole life was a slow, steady climb in "quality".

With that being said, I've never had any rich friends. All my friends have been middle class to poor. So naturally when we go to parties and stuff most the people there are poor (impoverished type of poor). They can be pretty annoying, actually. I hate when they look at me and assume I'm rich. Some will obsess over my few material possessions and it is very annoying. Then they will ask for things from me like they expect it, even if I have never met them before in my life. And actually get PISSED OFF when I don't give it to them. That really gets under my skin. Rude ass people.

I can feel their vibe. Its like they think anyone thats middle class just has money/gas/cigarettes/weed to just throw around to every Joe Blow that asks. When they actually get something that is what they do though. Just give it away to everyone until it is gone. Like they have no solid concept of the future and conservation. Then they wonder why they are poor? Everytime they get something they blow it... Seems obvious to me. Must be some paradigm that I am not aware of...

Keep in mind when I say "they" i don't mean every single poor person. Obviously since I've had poor friends. But I'm talking about a very distinct and large group of poor people that act this way.
edit on 30-7-2012 by theroguelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Well...yes actually. Without the government building those highways, travel time would be hugely inefficient. Without the government funding roads, schools, hospitals, firemen, policemen, etc etc, you'd probably be very poor.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I didn't mean to imply that drugs are the only bad habit of poverty. A drug test for welfare I feel is just one reasonable approach we can implement out of the many issues at hand.

Man, I worked at a gas station for a few years a while back. There were quite a few people who would come in and buy a $13 twelve pack of beer, $5 cigarettes, and the change on gas. Don't even get me started on the scratch lottery tickets. I hate them. Priorities man, priorities.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Nope. He said if you own or built a business, someone else made that possible for you. That's what he said, and he hasn't backed away from it. Hope you still have a job after you vote for him and he wins....

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by flashtrum

Nope. He said if you own or built a business, someone else made that possible for you. That's what he said, and he hasn't backed away from it. Hope you still have a job after you vote for him and he wins....

I'm sorry but he clearly mentioned infrastructure, I'm guessing you missed the full-context quote and probably caught one of the hack-jobs on youtube or fox news.

And even if he was saying what you're implying he said, he'd still be right. A business owner wouldn't make dollar #1 without customers and employees.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Collectivists: Not doing anything on their own since...ever.

You can only go so far with the butterfly effect until it gets ridiculous.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MackeyfromMars

Oh i know exactly what you are talking about. I used to bartend, the women were your average single mothers getting food stamps. I remember they all used to carry Coach bags (about 200 to 300 dollars a pop) and fake Louis Vuitton with your average Rainbow/Forever 21 too tight clothing and stripper heels. They would be in the club every weekend getting drunk. At the end of the night they would yell at their baby daddies for more child support. The retort was always "You get stamps and government check though". Kinda hard to get ahead when you party your life away.

I lived in a rather bad section of town during this time and my neighbor would want rides. I gave her a ride twice. It was always to the corner store for cancer sticks and scratch off tickets. Then she needed 500 dollars a week or so later for her house payment. Hmm...wonder why you can't pay your bills?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
i dont have any credit cards, my cars payed off, my house is payed off, my loan is payed off i sure hope your pipe dream comes true not all of us are slaves i would love to stop working but i have mouths to feed if all your saying happens i can stop work & go fishing yeeha the trick live with what i need, not what i want....the country is screwd some of use got out of the chains gave up some plastic ,and now just wateing for the giant to eat all the golden eggs untill they run out... theres a sign in the wild life reserve please do not feed the animals they will become dependent i crawl out from under a rock, i work for every thang i have. my first job was a dish washer /oven cleaner...it was a job

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017
What I'm getting at... is, Who wants to buy me a pack of cigarettes?

Nobody!

Bullsheet.

Come on over. Hell, I'll give you a pack.

Just one, though. And the next one will cost ya extra, but...

Harte

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by flashtrum

Well assuming you don't own a robot army you built yourself, it's true. You never build a business on your own. Otherwise you'd never have to hire anyone.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I bet you believe in fairies too. Sure it's all about doing what you have to do. keeping at it, hard work never giving in and never giving up. It's a ritual: you preform it, you will win. Trouble is it's not 100% that it works, Nope not even close. Sure any success rate, lends credibility and you'd want to brag. But not everybody wins here. Wealth comes from rent on excess labor. It won't do to have someone just cover their wages. No you need to make money from their labor. To say you did this all on you own is just not quite true Everyone should put in their share of labor, and should also have their share of wealth.So don't get so all bent out of shape. You got what what, because you got it. You got what you got, because you earned it. You got what you got, and you deserve it. Thank god for America.These good old United States. Although if you don't have much from all your hard work, I wouldn't get to comfortable. and if you got quite a bit. I wouldn't flash her around.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Uh, dude.... The internet was not government research..... The concept was born in a military program, but the internet you know today is something else all together. The freedom, the availability of information in an instant. That was made by the people, for the people, and it is the most dangerous civilian liberty we have today. It stretches world wide in an instant. It's however becoming flooded, day after day with advertisements, being chopped up into pieces for ownership, search omissions, loggers, data mines, and viruses. Do you really think the #tiest viruses were thought up by board kids? No, what pleasure do they get releasing something that could inevitably # them over? God Microsoft probably has a hefty business in writing virus software to ruin it's newest platforms it's all control control control.

Absolutely the government is responsible for people being poor. These programs to support the needy were started by caring individuals and were adapted by the government as a means to control the masses, and they do a damn good job at making " tax payers" feel like their hard earned money is going towards it, driving a stake between them. The hard working hate the less fortunate, the rich don't give a damn, and the poor feel ashamed and seperated. I wasn't well off growing up, but I wasn't poor, but those who were, were easy to spot, and innocent compared to the well off.

Lost my train of thouught, that's it for now i suppose.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
There is a reason the left wants people in perpetual enslavement to the welfare system, and it isn't because they care. They don't give a rats ass about the poor. The spew platitudes and wring their hands "Oh, more must be done! We must take care of these people!" Do you really think it's because they care? Hell no!

The left realizes that if you can subjugate the populace by having them permanently dependent on your party for a monthly check, they can count on those people's votes forever, thus keeping the left in power longer.

Worked on the black community. Just look at how they sneer at any black that makes something of himself/herself and refuses to be in bondage to the Democrat party.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

lolwhat? Clearly you've never been to 4chan, where ruin = profit.

Kids do write viruses just to mess people up and watch it happen. They don't care if it affects them, because chances are they have their important data stored on an offline local machine.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Collectivists: Not doing anything on their own since...ever.

You can only go so far with the butterfly effect until it gets ridiculous.

/TOA

You've never done anything on your own either. That's the whole point.

You can call me a collectivist all you want. You're typing on a computer that you (most likely) had no means to create yourself. You were educated by somebody at some point. You drive on public roads and walk on public sidewalks.

You wouldn't be speaking a language right now if it wasn't for 'collectivism'. 'Collectivism' is the reason human beings stopped picking fruit and started hunting in groups. 'Collectivism' is the reason we built cities, and governments. The founding fathers were 'collectivists'.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by glasshouse
reply to post by milominderbinder

I guess I missed the part where he suggested nobody should pay any taxes?
I agree that businesses benefit from infrastructure but without revenue created by businesses and the people they employ the government as we know it would not function.
Considering business doesn't rely solely on revenue produced by the government, I would propose that business is more capable of existing without government instead the other way around

edit on 07/27/12 by glasshouse because: (no reason given)

It's in the "how about we just keep all of our income".

...and you're wrong. Business is 100% dependent upon the government for it's existence. Nothing can be shipped on air, land, or sea without our network of roads and rails, and the US military ensuring free passage of the seas and air.

Take those things alone out of the equation...and the US is largely impassable wilderness infested with bandits and pirates.

....in other words...A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join