It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're Poor, You Didn't Get There On Your Own. Government Helped You Get There...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+96 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What I believe Obama meant to say:

"There are a lot of poor, downtrodden Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been on welfare, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so dumb. There are a lot of dumb people out there. It must be because I worked much less than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of lazy people out there.

If you were on welfare, somebody along the line helped you get there, and stay there. There was a government program somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this atrocious American system that we have that allowed you to stay poor. Somebody gave you food stamps and extended your stay in welfare. If you're on welfare, you didn't do that on your own. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we are poor, we stay poor because of our kollectivist "everyone is a victim" mentality. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody kept their own wages. That would be a hard way to keep you under our jackboots."

This is the reality of being poor in America. You are kept poor. You are kept enslaved. You are not encouraged to get off of welfare and make a life for yourself. You are a victim and must keep sucking on the teat of Mother Government.

And if you are successful, it is your responsibility to help keep the poor there. After all, it was your fault they were poor in the first in the place. You had some, they had none, therefore you were wrong. And keeping them poor gives the rich something good to spend their dirty money on. Because America can't thrive without victims.

Keeping the poor that way gives the guilty something to do. Something to make themselves Feel Better. And that's all we need, right? To Feel Better. "I helped someone today to feel good about being poor."

/TOA

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Oh, that is awesome. Even though I come from a middle-class family and went to a private liberal arts college, I hang out with a lot of poor people. One thing I find interesting about them is they have a lot of habits that keep them poor, and they often don't realize how talented they are in certain areas, and don't think they can do anything special - even though they can, it just takes thinking differently about things.

As a side note, I don't think there is anything wrong with increasing the quality of your life. Of course, this can be done without screwing other people over - I seriously don't believe that improving the quality of life for yourself means harming others in all cases, this is just silly. But surprisingly, it can also be done for free!

On another side note, just because you don't have a lot of money doesn't mean you can't improve the quality of your life without making more money, and doesn't mean that you are automatically going to be unhappy.

On a third side note, I don't think there is anything wrong with making sure that people stay fed and have homes,

What I'm trying to say is, poor people shouldn't feel bad because they are poor, there are many amazing ways they can still contribute to the world and have a quality life these days.
edit on 29-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

If that is a silly and emotionally angry post I don't know what is...

In conservative America, feeding people makes them hungry, I have heard it all before,
you guys expect the worst from people.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Bravo !

Very nicely done.
edit on Sun Jul 29 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by pisssss
reply to post by The Old American

If that is a silly and emotionally angry post I don't know what is...

In conservative America, feeding people makes them hungry, I have heard it all before,
you guys expect the worst from people.

Hoping for the best and expecting the worst means we're rarely disappointed. At least I rarely am.

Great thread Op! I love the way that reads now. Looks a whole more accurate than the version I heard BO give.

+23 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
There is the biggest wealth gap in the country ever.

The average American didn't cause this, the people in power did. Stop giving tax breaks to corporations to outsource.

JP Morgan runs the foodstamp program. They even outsourced jobs to process the food-stamp orders to India. The more people that are poor the more profit they make. It is a conflict of interest.

Stop the crony capitalism.

edit on 29-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

There is a huge working poor population in the USA. There is this myth that everyone on welfare is lazy when it isn't the case. Most do have jobs, and they usually have the worst labor intensive jobs there are.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
There is the biggest wealth gap in the country ever.

The average American didn't cause this, the people in power did. Stop giving tax breaks to corporations to outsource.

Stop the crony capitalism.

It is easier for the Crony Capitalists to program the pee on army to foam at the
poor and hungry.

You can't stop crony Capitalism because these same people are the defenders of
it simply because they are too confused most of the time.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm confused... is this supposed to be sarcasm, ignorant ramblings, or entertainment....

Please clarify:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Didn't get there on their own and now they have to climb back...on their own.

Vicious cycle.

Peace

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017
I'm confused... is this supposed to be sarcasm, ignorant ramblings, or entertainment....

Please clarify:

It's called conservative propaganda

Welcome to Amerika

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Depends on what you consider poor. Skip to 44:20...

edit on 29-7-2012 by CallYourBluff because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
There is so much wrong with this post that it kind of makes me nauseated. Being a very poor person myself I must say that you sir have never seen our side of the fence. I can honestly say that the "big bad" government DOES NOT make it easy to receive welfare. The "red tape" in that department is more like a big red electrified 50 foot iron wall. I do receive food assistance that I am very grateful to the "big bad" government for. Without it me and my girlfriend would have already died of starvation long ago.

This post is what I believe to be the main problem with america today. No one wants to see someone else getting help. They believe since they did things themselves that others would be able to do the same. Not everyone has the capital to start a moneymaking venture so we just join the workforce in an entry level position and before you know it capitalism has you as a wage slave.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
GREAT post! S&F. As insightful as you can be. Wish the GOP would make it into an ad!

Whiners, give it a rest.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pisssss

America spends hundreds of billions of dollars a year keeping people on welfare. That's not propaganda, that's disgusting.

And I'm not a conservative.

/TOA

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
trickle down economics:
A little while back the heritage foundation published a report which stated in the 1980's 85% of americans paid taxes. Now we are down to about 50%.

www.heritage.org...

Conservatives tell us this is beacuse people are lazy.
I would say our middle class is gone. The tax breaks that started during the Reagan Administration and since have not trickled down.

The rich are richer and the poor... well the poor are being blamed for the economic mess.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boot2theface
There is so much wrong with this post that it kind of makes me nauseated. Being a very poor person myself I must say that you sir have never seen our side of the fence.

Are you so sure about that, sport? I escaped the clutches of guilty America and now I'm comfortably...lower middle-class. I checked, I qualify for aid. But I don't need it, because I live I within my means.

This post wasn't aimed at poor people in the context of them being lazy. This post is aimed at the elitists in D.C. that pretend to actually care about the poor. If they cared, they'd actually encourage them to get off of welfare, off of food stamps. They'd stop taking so much money from small business owners, who is the majority of job creators in America. They'd stop taking so much from the regular Joe, and thus stop creating poverty.

Congress doesn't care about helping the poor, so much as they want to punish the successful. Listen to the news...all of it. Fox, NBC, CNN, ABC...all you hear is "the rich isn't paying their fair share!". Not word one about how to really help the impoverished.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
reply to post by pisssss

America spends hundreds of billions of dollars a year keeping people on welfare. That's not propaganda, that's disgusting.

And I'm not a conservative.

/TOA

Oh I see, and I guess feeding people is detrimental to those people because it makes them
dependent on food.

I am glad you are an OLD American -

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wwiilliiaamm

The rich are richer and the poor... well the poor are being blamed for the economic mess.

Yup and these geezers pass on the propaganda like the flu, I wish we could blame senility

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I've always been kinda 'poor'... and I don't see what all the hubbub is about. Never once did it cross my mind that receiving some form of 'welfare' was ever appropriate. It's pretty sad when people hop on the 'welfare' train... because the next stop is a long time after their departure from responsibility. Granted, there are always circumstances that arise, but cmon!

I know a guy who claimed bankruptcy 4 years ago, due to his own actions... owns 3 houses, rents 2 of them out, owns the largest house in his neighbor hood, has a nice swimming pool, hot tub, pool table... ultimate bachelor pad... and this a-hole is on food stamps? Not to mention, the 4 other people living in his current residence are on food stamps! Every single last one of them could be working, but no... They can get the government to pay for their food, give them cash even, lower their electricity bills, lower internet bills.... and all sorts of other craziness. So basically, there are 5 people... sitting around, nerd herding the internet, eating non stop all day and contributing absolutely nothing to society.

They chose this, we made it possible... time for change!

I demand! lol.... Mandatory drug tests by every single individual who uses welfare!!!

Even if all drugs were legal, still... this vice keeps people poor, and even with government money... they remain poor! I'm getting soooo sick of paying for other peoples addictions with taxes.

I'm addicted to cigarettes, at $5 a day, x 30, that's $150 a month... lets say I make $300 a week at some crap job... 1200 a month... left after taxes... 800(if lucky)... then pay rent at $500 a month for a crap room, another 200 a month in random utilities and phone... omg I'm left with only $100!!!! But I smoke $150 a month on them!!!

How will I ever afford to live?!?! Foodstamps!! and Money from the government!!

Or... quit smoking, and find different means that are in accordance with my wage?!!?
Ahh... prosperity hidden in the shadows...

What I'm getting at... is, Who wants to buy me a pack of cigarettes?

Nobody!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join