It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The RIGHT Way to Handle a Police Stop: (made by Attys-good info)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I have been pulled over many times in my life of driving. For the most part it was my fault as I was exceeding the speed limit.

I have learned a few things over the years and have applied that in recent years. Only once since I have learned the best way to act and things to do have I met an officer that was unpleasant. To my surprise even that officer let me off with a warning.

Things I do when pulled over.
Always be polite, but never answer anything that is not asked i.e. What are you doing in this area? I am conducting personal business with the bank for my father.

Be truthful yet tactful i.e. Do you know how fast you were going? I was going 65; I know I know I was speeding sorry. (this example of a 55 zone stop)

Listen and do not interrupt when they are speaking i.e. Well actually you were traveling at 71. Is there a reason you were driving so quickly? No, just driving at rate that felt comfortable for me.

Have your I.D. and insurance ready before they ask, you know you were speeding and you know they are going to ask for it, the sooner you get it to them the quicker and easier you get out of there.

Also if you know or are pretty sure you were speeding and you see a police car start to slow down or turn on their lights and they are in the opposite lane just pull over then. If they go around you, you cleared the way for an emergency vehicle. If they pull behind you, you are letting them know you are paying attention to the road and your surroundings (this means you are a safe driver despite speeding).

Doing the above has helped me greatly. It made things better for both myself and the officer and got us both back on the road quicker without giving up any of my rights.

Edit to add: the unpleasant officer just did not seem to have a sense of personality.

Raist

edit on 7/30/12 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Be truthful yet tactful i.e. Do you know how fast you were going? I was going 65; I know I know I was speeding sorry. (this example of a 55 zone stop)

What you stated is what goes on the back of the officers copy of the citation. Your admittance to the "crime".

He doesn't need anything else.

It comes down to discretion on the Officers part is what saved you.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

They have proof in the form of the radar detector that gives them a reading. There is no other reason for them to be pulling me over other than the fact that I know and they know I was speeding. Playing games only makes the situation worse and takes more time.

Raist

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I once had a bad experience being pulled over for bogus reasons and even though I was highly agitated with the cop I did walk away with a learning experience. This officer told me after going back and forth for a few minutes that "We are not gonna hold court on the side of the road" so save your comments for the appropriate place. To this day that has stuck with me and like others have said if you think your being wronged or singled out, save it for the right place to dispute it, the court room.....

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300

Originally posted by Infi8nity

reply to post by anon72

I have been pulled over countless times and never, not once, has a police officer acted like that.

This is a straight up propaganda video to get people to be afraid of the police. My experience with the police has lead me to the conclusion that the best way to deal with the police is to not break the law in the first place and they will leave you alone. If you do break the law for some minor thing like speeding and get stopped then just be nice and alot of the time they will let you off with a warning. If you are committing a felony on the other hand, you deserve what you get. Just my opinion though.

How is this propaganda? This is a routine stop.
I have been in this exact situation, twice.

It portrays police as jerks trying to manipulate you is how. Like I said, I have never met an officer that acts like the guy in the video. I know there are a few out there that abuse their position but for the most part your every day ordinary police officer is just a normal person just like you and me with a job to do and a family to go home to just like you, not some evil man that believes in trampling on peoples rights. Alot of people in my family are police officers and there is no secret police agenda to turn the US into a police state and take away peoples rights. You break the law, you deal with the police, you don't and 99 percent of police officers could care less about what your doing, they are more worried about if their wife is going to cook roast beef for dinner or if their kid did good on his test at school.

I am guessing you are a cop. Are you?

As a normal housewife, I have been pulled over twice in the last 6 years. Both instances I was treated pretty closely to this video. The first time, during the course of the conversation at my window, I came to the realization that I was being talked to like I was a dangerous criminial and made a visual scan of the cop to memorize his name and description. He clued into what I was doing and backed off. He was an A^^hole, no other word for it. Second time was a female cop, I did not believe I did anything wrong, but she said I was speeding and yelled at me, for asking for a warning instead of a ticket, She snapped "We're crackin' down on speeders!" I was not speeding, but if I had to guess, I was an easy ticket.

Actually had a third incident, with my child at school. He got in trouble for a prank that he did not even know he was involved in(long story).

3 cops separated my son from me to question him, then had me come in. I was not happy, but I listened. I may have verbalized that I did not think my son was really at fault, and boy did that bring on a storm from the lead cop. He sent my son out of the room and lectured me on how criminal behavior like this will lead to a life behind bars, and that he better not EVER have to meet my son again, or he would go to jail. there was much more said at me, and I just sat there and listened, but I was furious! This is how our neighborhood officers treat people?

I honestly wanted to press charges against the lead cop, he was completely abusive, but upon looking into the statistics of what happens when you file a complaint, I decided my life would only be worse for it, and NOTHING would happen with that cop.

I and my family are good, law-abiding citizens, and yet I've seen this change in attitude, and I don't feel trust anymore for law enforcement. Very sad.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

I have been pulled over countless times and never, not once, has a police officer acted like that.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

The thing is, the "driver" in this video starts the confrontation by doing stupid things like only cracking the window and not responding to the question of "why" he was pulled over. In the video, if he was truly speeding (which they never deny he was), then you just tell the cop.."yeah...I was speeding...just got away from me".

I get warnins all the time and cops just telling me to "slow it down" because I talk to them like another human being...not like they are the enemy.

I actually find it hilarious that the people that want to "assert their rights" are the ones that have their time wasted and in a sense self-harrass themselves by acting like morons.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by Raist

What you stated is what goes on the back of the officers copy of the citation. Your admittance to the "crime".

He doesn't need anything else.

It comes down to discretion on the Officers part is what saved you.

But if you know that you were speeding, then why not just admit to it? It's not like the cop is trying to trick you into admitting something you didn't do.

Now if you are going 20 over the speed limit like in the video and you claim you don't know why you were pulled over...then if I was a cop it would piss me off that you are playing games with me.

If you are speeding...then you damn well know why the cop pulled you over.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I wrote a three paragraph response to this but was logged out int he process and could not get it back ugh.

anywho I wanted to point out that we ALL break the law. to suggest to someone to just obey the law if f**king stupid and you are in no way shape or form denying ignorance.

we all break the law some more than others and some in worse way than others. would I defend a rapist? hell no.am I against the death penalty? no (although I have reservations because I feel like its an easier way out for them) I have never received a traffic infraction but am a felon due to my beliefs about mj just being a damn plant (plants are here for us to use) anything can be abused, really with all the f**king fat people out there I am completely surprised that mcdonalds isnt illegal( its not surprising really).

so ask yourself about the following areas of legislation. Gay marriage, abortion, racial and class divisions, religious influence in government, gun control and the restriction of what is acceptable to put into our bodies. (of course some drugs are real drugs and some drugs are just plants) death penalty (too easy imo)

why do we justify what it is that we want to the ends of the earth. not matter what it is and you pretentious adult saying that you disagree are the issue. i was speeding because i was in a hurry or i was late, i drove home drunk because i was have a really bad day/time, marriage is ok for me because im a man and want to marry a women, im not fat im big boned....... you see the point

WAKE UP! I am just as hypocritical as the rest of the world! however I am making as big a stand against it as I possibly can. blind judgement, stereotypical judgments, etc.

extend the helping hand (not in a give homeless money kind of way, think donate to soup kitchen and then cook your donations for everyone! money doesnt count, even though it helps and you may feel better, it is your TIME that will help you both in the end.), treat family like the most sacred of brotherhoods, and continue to voice your opinions and votes, only voting to push things in a forward direction never taking steps backwards....

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

This is exactly true, and what I mean.

Doing so I have never been asked to have my car searched, nor have they even given anything in my car even an interested glance. I am not even asked if I am carrying any weapons.

What it does though is show the cop I was speeding. Pulling over as soon as I see they have caught me shows them that I am aware of my surroundings which is of more importance to them than the speeding as an unaware driver is not safe for other drivers. By giving them a speed it shows I am aware of my speed. Also know though that your speedometer could be off up to 5 MPH at any time in either direction. It simply takes a different wheel/tire combination, an inflation issue can cause your speedometer to be off even 1 MPH and age as well as mileage on a car can cause them to read inaccurately. Even two exact cars might be off as much as 1-3 MPH of each other. My admission of speed is what I believe I am going.

Now if I were speeding (and I know I am) and I believe I am going one speed and the cop tells me I am going something that I know has to be inaccurate I will say that I do not agree and leave it at that. When the time comes I will take the issue to court with photos of the area, my car and its abilities, as well as any other relevant information.

Raist

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Unfortunately, we need videos like this since a lot of people act more like...

COP: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
GUY: "Cuz I humped your mom's shoulder-length snatch, GOD DAMMIT!"

For instance here...

... and here...

The nanny law police state sucks, but some citizens are just entitled douchebags with no sense of responsibility and everything is everyone else's fault, especially the "pig" who just pulled them over.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spend
Unfortunately, we need videos like this since a lot of people act more like...

COP: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
GUY: "Cuz I humped your mom's shoulder-length snatch, GOD DAMMIT!"

yes there are some truly ignorant MF'ers out there

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I worked third shift several years back and was dating a girl who lived several hours away. I would drive back and forth on the weekends to spend time with her and would often have a buddy go with me, I'd let him drive while I tried to catch up on sleep in the passenger seat.

On one such trip he wakes me up and asks me a question, "Hey should I pass this cop? Should I pass this cop?" He was young and excitable, I was half asleep and mumbled sure why not. I woke up real fast as the cop pulled us over. He walked up to the window and said, "Did you think I wouldn't notice that you were speeding as you passed by? Did you think I was not going to do my job? Do you think I'm stupid or something?" Without batting an eye my buddy says, "D all of the above."

I started laughing my @ss off and then my buddy starts laughing and neither one of us could contain ourselves. It caught the officer off guard and I think the guy was laughing too because he turned around immediately to compose himself before asking for license and registration. We got off with a warning.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by QuietSpeech

thats some funny shenanigans

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

Originally posted by Infi8nity

reply to post by anon72

This is a straight up propaganda video to get people to be afraid of the police. My experience with the police has lead me to the conclusion that the best way to deal with the police is to not break the law in the first place and they will leave you alone. If you do break the law for some minor thing like speeding and get stopped then just be nice and alot of the time they will let you off with a warning. If you are committing a felony on the other hand, you deserve what you get. Just my opinion though.

How is this propaganda? This is a routine stop.
I have been in this exact situation, twice.

It portrays police as jerks trying to manipulate you is how. Like I said, I have never met an officer that acts like the guy in the video. I know there are a few out there that abuse their position but for the most part your every day ordinary police officer is just a normal person just like you and me with a job to do and a family to go home to just like you, not some evil man that believes in trampling on peoples rights. Alot of people in my family are police officers and there is no secret police agenda to turn the US into a police state and take away peoples rights. You break the law, you deal with the police, you don't and 99 percent of police officers could care less about what your doing, they are more worried about if their wife is going to cook roast beef for dinner or if their kid did good on his test at school.

I am guessing you are a cop. Are you?

As a normal housewife, I have been pulled over twice in the last 6 years. Both instances I was treated pretty closely to this video. The first time, during the course of the conversation at my window, I came to the realization that I was being talked to like I was a dangerous criminial and made a visual scan of the cop to memorize his name and description. He clued into what I was doing and backed off. He was an A^^hole, no other word for it. Second time was a female cop, I did not believe I did anything wrong, but she said I was speeding and yelled at me, for asking for a warning instead of a ticket, She snapped "We're crackin' down on speeders!" I was not speeding, but if I had to guess, I was an easy ticket.

Actually had a third incident, with my child at school. He got in trouble for a prank that he did not even know he was involved in(long story).

3 cops separated my son from me to question him, then had me come in. I was not happy, but I listened. I may have verbalized that I did not think my son was really at fault, and boy did that bring on a storm from the lead cop. He sent my son out of the room and lectured me on how criminal behavior like this will lead to a life behind bars, and that he better not EVER have to meet my son again, or he would go to jail. there was much more said at me, and I just sat there and listened, but I was furious! This is how our neighborhood officers treat people?

I honestly wanted to press charges against the lead cop, he was completely abusive, but upon looking into the statistics of what happens when you file a complaint, I decided my life would only be worse for it, and NOTHING would happen with that cop.

I and my family are good, law-abiding citizens, and yet I've seen this change in attitude, and I don't feel trust anymore for law enforcement. Very sad.

I am no cop, alot of my family is but not me. Not by far, my comments actually come from experience on the breaking the law side of things.
It sounds to me that you just have bad luck and have run into the few out there that shouldn't be there.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spend
For instance here...

... and here...

Believe it or not this video is one we have used for training / refresher in terms of how not to behave as an officer. While the driver was acting like an ass, the officers attitude / condescending tone did not help the situation at all.

reply to post by QuietSpeech

If the person I stop can make me laugh they usually get a warning. I do my very best not to pull people over for violations I am guilty of myself in my own car. Unless the driver does something extremely stupid I will usually lecture and a warning and move on. I have found at times an ass chewing can go a lot farther than a citation (even more true when dealing with younger drivers).

The one issue I will write a citation for is when people refuse to slow down / change lanes when emergency personell are present roadside - whether its police / fire / ems / construction crews etc.

One of my buddies is Highway Patrol and told me a story from when he was stationed in the northern part of the state. A trooper in his area made a traffic stop (speeding). When the trooper approached the driver, the driver looked at him, waved his hand in front of him while telling the trooper "this is not the car your looking for". The trooper looked at th driver, shrugged his shoulders and stated to the driver "this is not the car im looking for" at which point he turned around, walked back to his car and left the scene.
edit on 30-7-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Interesting.

Lecturing. Now that is when you cross the line. IMO.

I stopped that a long time ago.... I like the line.

We are not here just to enforce the laws... but to also educate. Then I educate them. There seems to be a lot less hassle and need to appear at court.

Usually by the time I am done they confess and promise not to do it again. Great. Of course, they will and someone else will enforce.

It's a Circle.... Not a Square kind of philosophy.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Any time someone in a position of authority educates a person, that person perceives it as being lectured to. Call it what you want, I have found it to be effective in the long run.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
someone cooking bacon?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I gotta comment on this
I've been pulled over numerous times for speeding, before and after I caught a felony. NEVER, EVER once have I've been treated badly, even after I had the conviction on my name. All the officers I've EVER encountered (with the exception of one MP trying to show off to a gal) always treated me with respect and courtesy.
One time I was speeding home from an airsoft game, and had my M4 with attached M-203 grenade launcher in my back seat, along with other assorted combat gear (this was after my felony conviction). See pic here When he looked in the back seat, he drew his sidearm, and ordered me out of the car and had me lie on the ground, and cuffed me while he called for backup. I didnt argue with him, insisting it was an airsoft gun. I know that would have made things worse. After securing me, he asked what was I doing with that as a felon. THEN I told him it was an airsoft gun. When he examined it, and saw it wasnt a threat, he uncuffed me and helped me up, THEN wanted to play with it after showing him how it worked. By this time, his backup showed up, and we all were standing ther, them two taking turns shooting it into the woods next to the interstate. Because they were so fascinated with it, the original officer let me go with a warning and told me to keep the gun in a case or in my trunk (bought a case and kept it in the trunk lol).
The next weekend, the two SAME LEOs showed up at the airsoft field, interested in playing. Hell, they showed us how to mock clear rooms in a SWAT scenario and are now regular players, and trust me, I've tagged em more then once in my games LOL.
The moral of my story is this: Be polite, do what your told and 99% of the time, you wont get into a hassle.
LEOs have every reason to harrass me, yet they dont. Why? Because I dont give em a reason to. When I am pulled over, I put my hazzards on, shut my car off and keep my habds on my steering wheel til the approach me.
Its all about being polite, respectful and not give em a reason to mess with you.
Before you all cop haters say he had no reason to search my car or detain me, he did, my airsoft gun was in PLAIN VIEW and had probable cause.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

You will find a great deal of those on ATS do not care to understand plain view or will refuse to believe it thinking if they lock their car they are okay and do not have to consent to a search.

Like I said in the above post once I changed how I handled the stops the stops changed completely. Even the officer without a sense of personality was not as bad as some of the stories I hear on here. Of course if I had reacted differently instead of remaining polite and unthreatening throughout I can bet things would have been very different. I am willing to bet this officer could have been really bad news for me, but being polite, doing as asked and still not giving up my rights helped me get through.

Raist

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join