It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The RIGHT Way to Handle a Police Stop: (made by Attys-good info)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I just watched this and I have to say, the makers bring up some excellent points that you really should put into your head and make them a common practice. Think it out ahead of time cause the odds are you will be pulled over someday/sometime.

Enjoy and I look forward to hearing your comments/ideas/thoughts.

I thought this was very important as our country (USA) slips ever so far down the slippery slope into a Police State.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Nice that is exactly the way to behave.

And on a side note if you are on foot and a police officer asks you to stop, you don't have to unless they give immediate probable cause to detain you.

These are "PUBLIC SERVANTS" not government officials. Know your rights. Keep yourself safe.

S&F

edit on 29-7-2012 by coven83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I have been pulled over countless times and never, not once, has a police officer acted like that.

This is a straight up propaganda video to get people to be afraid of the police. My experience with the police has lead me to the conclusion that the best way to deal with the police is to not break the law in the first place and they will leave you alone. If you do break the law for some minor thing like speeding and get stopped then just be nice and alot of the time they will let you off with a warning. If you are committing a felony on the other hand, you deserve what you get. Just my opinion though.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Having personal experience in this department I feel the following. I am always extremely polite and concise. I have been stopped in many states mostly in the west. I have found most of my experiences to be most dis-pleasurable and feel as though my basic rights were smashed upon via a few of the following experiences.

CHP man-handle searching my girlfriend at the time un clipping her bra (no female officer present...not sure that matters in their legislature or not.), searching of my vehicle, accused of many different things without basis, had a book removed from my home during a search for drugs(book was titled ##snip## Laws of all 50 States, these were really bright officers as they also took some victoria's secret mints from my drawer.), during the same search all my clothes were dumped onto the floor, bed overturned, every drawer was emptied onto the counter, have been tricked by a detective into a confession(went to court house for private meeting with attorney, judge and detective. detective intercepted me in the lobby, took me to a private room and proceeded to tell me that my attorney set up the meeting and I was to explain everything to him in detail, being younger and more naive I confessed and ended up releasing the names of a couple other people involved, at which point he told me I could leave, I thought that was the end of the meeting and went back home, he went directly into the courtroom where they were also expecting my arrival, the detective did not inform me that they were in a courtroom awaiting down the hall, I had all this thrown out due to what the officer lying in order to obtain a confession, forgetting to inform my council in defense of the meeting before hand what a ##SNIP##.)

now being a little older I have said no to a search only to have a dog do a walk around anyway ending in a three hour searching extravaganza only to find a container only containing some "##SNIP## shavings" (700$ in court cost and ticket, 24 hour online drug class:barf
I have been stopped on the sidewalk while walking home from the bar, asked where we were coming from which we responded to truthfully, being 23 and all made us feel quite confident in all our choices up until that point in the evening
, then they asked us if we were intoxicated when we proceeded to laugh they checked id's for warrants then let us on our merry way..... I am not a fan of cops, I have been stopped by some very nice people (officers) that were very professional and non judgmental and thus why I will always have a reservation about tying them all up into one gigantic # the police even though quite often for myself it ends up boiling down to just that.

thanks for reading?
ginormous
edit on 29/7/2012 by blu3nowh3r3 because: broke up the ginormous text block.

edit on Thu Aug 9 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors Just to clarify...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300
reply to post by anon72

I have been pulled over countless times and never, not once, has a police officer acted like that.

This is a straight up propaganda video to get people to be afraid of the police. My experience with the police has lead me to the conclusion that the best way to deal with the police is to not break the law in the first place and they will leave you alone. If you do break the law for some minor thing like speeding and get stopped then just be nice and alot of the time they will let you off with a warning. If you are committing a felony on the other hand, you deserve what you get. Just my opinion though.

I dont know how you can call it a propaganda video. Everyday there are reports of police over stepping their rights. Not every cop is a bad cop, but the ones who are WILL use your ignorance of the law against you. Your best defence is knowing your rights. That is all the video was intended to show.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Every one needs to know their rights. At the very least how to deal with the police.

This video series has gotten me out of some sticky situations. The police are not your friend, but they are not your enemy, IF YOU KNOW YOUR RIGHTS. Dont be taken for a sucker, most of the questions police ask do not need to be legally answered. Remember ANY THING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU. They will twist your words faster then ABC news. Do not say you know your rights prove you know your rights.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

reply to post by anon72

How is this propaganda? This is a routine stop.
I have been in this exact situation, twice.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Do not say you know your rights prove you know your rights.

And know your obligations, too.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

reply to post by anon72

It portrays police as jerks trying to manipulate you is how. Like I said, I have never met an officer that acts like the guy in the video. I know there are a few out there that abuse their position but for the most part your every day ordinary police officer is just a normal person just like you and me with a job to do and a family to go home to just like you, not some evil man that believes in trampling on peoples rights. Alot of people in my family are police officers and there is no secret police agenda to turn the US into a police state and take away peoples rights. You break the law, you deal with the police, you don't and 99 percent of police officers could care less about what your doing, they are more worried about if their wife is going to cook roast beef for dinner or if their kid did good on his test at school.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

reply to post by anon72

It portrays police as jerks trying to manipulate you is how. Like I said, I have never met an officer that acts like the guy in the video. I know there are a few out there that abuse their position but for the most part your every day ordinary police officer is just a normal person just like you and me with a job to do and a family to go home to just like you, not some evil man that believes in trampling on peoples rights. Alot of people in my family are police officers and there is no secret police agenda to turn the US into a police state and take away peoples rights. You break the law, you deal with the police, you don't and 99 percent of police officers could care less about what your doing, they are more worried about if their wife is going to cook roast beef for dinner or if their kid did good on his test at school.

yes please let us all blindly follow every law.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

reply to post by anon72

THIS VIDEO DOES NOT SHOW ABUSE OF POWER. THIS IS HOW THEY ARE TRAINED.
Learn your rights, GOOGLE!!!

This video is teaching you NOT to be afraid of the police because you know your rights....
This is police procedure and I have been in this exact situation. 1 cop pulled me over, asked for registration and told my friends to get out of my car. He tried to search the car and I said no. He called another cop to the scene and said it was suspicious that I would not let him search my car. He tried to SCARE ME into wavering my rights (FACT: they are tough to scare you into wavering your rights, FACT: Cops are tough to lie to manipulate situations and it is legal) He said he called a drug dog and that it would be at the scene in 1hr. I told him no and he insinuated that when the dogs got their he was going to plant if they found nothing. 30 min latter I received a ticket and was let lose.

Its idiotic to say all police act the same, they are human beings and every human being is different. Just because you experience some thing else does not mean it does not happen and it happens ALLOT. Just go to youtube and watch all of the police video's. Their are good cops and their are bad cops, just because a cop is nice to you does not mean he is a good cop and just because a bad cop is mean to you does not mean they are bad. The police are under allot of pressure from their pears and their Government, in order to keep their jobs they have to write a certain amount of tickets, arrest ect... THEY HAVE TO KEEP THEIR JOBS!!
edit on 29-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

THEY HAVE TO KEEP THEIR JOBS!!

we need to keep our lives! you think its ok that they turn up their targeting when the quota hasnt quite been met yet?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

THEY HAVE TO KEEP THEIR JOBS!!

we need to keep our lives! you think its ok that they turn up their targeting when the quota hasnt quite been met yet?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by coven83
I dont know how you can call it a propaganda video. Everyday there are reports of police over stepping their rights. Not every cop is a bad cop, but the ones who are WILL use your ignorance of the law against you. Your best defence is knowing your rights. That is all the video was intended to show.

Yeah but look at the scenario in the video. Buddy driving took all the heat. Cost them 10+ minutes of their time, antagonised the cop giving him a reason to use any excuse to pull them over again, and still getting the ticket.

"I didn't know the speed limit was 30 sir.. " + speeding ticket = the same thing, minus a pissed cop and 10 minutes of their lives wasted.

I'm dead against police officers abusing their force and getting away with it time and time again, but I dunno about this video.

edit on 29-7-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This is a very good topic. This video is along the same lines, where a current law school professor AND police officer urge people not to agree to be interviewed by the police. The video is a little longer but very informative. People need to understand and exercise their rights!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by coven83
Nice that is exactly the way to behave.

And on a side note if you are on foot and a police officer asks you to stop, you don't have to unless they give immediate probable cause to detain you.

These are "PUBLIC SERVANTS" not government officials. Know your rights. Keep yourself safe.

S&F

edit on 29-7-2012 by coven83 because: (no reason given)

hmmmmm....

you might NOT want to come to Portland/Oregon .. yeeeah .. if you keep walk'n .. they WILL down you right there in the back.. multiple threads on PO cops brutality ..

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by theTimeTraveler

All the good info possible.

Nice from what I can tell.

I still think when you get out of the car and LOCK your door is the best tip yet. Brilliant.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I'm not sure leaving the windows mostly rolled up would be a good idea... That could lead to reasonable suspicion perhaps. Otherwise, great informative thread.

reply to post by theTimeTraveler

Welcome to ATS, thanks for the video link and watching that now. The guy is very fast paced so far, definitely worth the watch.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Wow.. The title of this thread should be the wrong way for a police officer to act.

The reason officers ask the driver if they know the reason for the stop, it helps establish probable cause. While the officer clocks a person driving 50 in a 30, by asking the driver if they know how fast they were going supports the speeding accusation.

Unless we have consent from the person who is in physical control of the vehicle, a warrant, a search incident to arrest (refined and clareified by Arizona vs. Gant), or contraband in plain sight (alcohol / open container / druggs / etc). we cannot go into a person vehicle.

Also, Supreme court rulings in several states (not sure if its gone higher yet) has taken police to task for the way they were asking for consent to search. In my state we cannot ask a person if we can "look around their car". We must use the term search as they both have different meanings in the legal world.

* - "look around" is vague and does not adequately establish the reason. It also suggests its just a glance and not physical manipulation.
* - A search is invasive, allowing an officer to go into areas of a car that would normalkly be out of bounds.

The officer in the video is running into the issue of coercing an action based on a threat. Again in most states its a good way to have the charges thrown out.

The whole thing about not rolling the window down / locking the doors is goofy to me. It does not matter if the window is up or down or if the car is locked or unloacked, we cannot go into it without the criteria above.

As for pulling people out of a vehicle - it is allowed but problematic, especially if its one officer and multiple people in the car. We need to have a good reason to pull everyone out of a vehicle. Pulling the driver out is easy since we can request they sit in our car while we are doing our thing. Asking for passengers to step out usually occurs whith a crime other than speeding.

As for how the officer made contact - totally crappy and unprofessional. There is no reason to act like an ass to the person you just stopped. One of the questions I ask is why were they speeding etc. I try to remind myself that the person I just stopped could be having the worst day of their lives. The 2 departments I have worked for requires the officer to identify ourselves, the agency we are with and the reason for the stop. Simply demanding info without offering explanation / reason does not but escalates the situation and gives police who do their job right a bad image.

The only thing I would add would be the following, and please think before slamming me on it. If the officer is acting, in your opinion, like a moron it serves no purpose to argue with the officer, especially when its revolving around a citation / arrest. Law Enforcement enforces the laws, we do not ajudicate. That means whatever the issue that may exist between yourself and the officer, the officer is not the final say - the court is. When an officer finds himself being constantly challeneged in court by the people he dealt with, resulting in his citations being thrown out, it eventually hits the point where the PA stops prosecuting cases coming from that officer.

Finally - to tie in the cell phone recording. If you are a 3rd party (IE not a part of contact with law enforcement - as in the driver or a passenger in the car) your good to go. If you are a person in the vehicle please keep in mind you are being detained, along with the driver. Because of that your movements / actions can be restricted. Worst case scenario ask the officer if your in the car if its ok if you record the encounter. This will cut down on any issues cropping up when you have people in the car mving around and manipulating items.

If an officer acts in the same manner the one in the op video did, then please take the time to be a good witness and once completed, file a report against the officer for discourteous behavior. There is no need to act like an ass towards a person / people they just stopped.

Keep this in mind -
When you get pulled over you can be almost certain its a police officer. Marked car, uniform, radio etc etc etc. The officer has absolutely no idea who you / passengers are etc.

Jsut my 2 cents.

The video is 17mins long and ive posted it before however I think it could help add to this thread by giving a few examples of whats going through the police officers mind during calls.

edit on 30-7-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Or....

You can just use these simple tips...

Here's a summary of the tips:

Obey the law.

Use common sense.

Stop immediately.

Turn that # off.

Be Polite.

Shut the # up.

Get a white friend.