It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Olympics: Lack of Nationalism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I can't be the only person to notice, but it appears as though the Olympic games are lacking displays of nationalism.

What I mean is this.

In games past, the graphics and the play by play were always strong in representing which contender was from which country.

In Swimming for example, one could see an overlay on screen to depict which country the competitor was from, from the beginning of the race to the end.

This year, however, NBC has chosen to NOT highlight the competitor's nationality at all, except with just the final results and starting lane announcements, etc.

I can't tell who is in what lane during the swimming meets.

I can't tell what country they are from.

Its almost as if the country of the competitors is not important anymore?

Is this some sort of One World Order being pushed on us? Where the Olympics have become just a collection of WORLD competitors, with disregard to their nations they represent?

Is the UN Involved in this decision somehow for NBC to blatantly disregard this feature of the sporting broadcast? Are they conditioning us to set aside the need to differentiate the countries being represented in some Global type melting pot?

Here is an example of a screen shot of the 2008 Swimming competition. Notice the top three positions are displayed? This type of graphic is displayed throughout the entire match. Not only that, in 2008, they had the flag of the nation in the lane displayed throughout the match.

This year, the only display they have is before the match begins, but nothing during the match:

The same goes for track and field. There just isn't a lot of effort in displaying country information.

Is it me? Or has anyone else noticed this?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think you may be clutching at straws a little here, but I see where you're coming from in a way...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I too noticed how so many things seemed rushed, and there was less attention to nationalism. Made me think either yea, we are inevitably(force and circumstance) moving towards a singular civilization, or they were just trying to appeal to the shrinking attention span of the day, with rapid fire presentations, going all 'modern' on us.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Interesting thing to notice Phantom, maybe you're right.

I have noticed that it is harder to get information on the athletes like their nationality, so it isn't just a problem with American news channels but with the UK news channels also.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Or...it could be just the change in TV sponsorship. Perhaps NBC has just decided to do things differently.

But I cant help but notice these little things.

The other thing I noticed is the over dramatization of China winning so many heats thus far. Seems like the commentators are really putting in extra emphasis on how shocking China is performing.

And then again, I could just be PMS'ing. I need a testosterone injection!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
in The 80s they had even less grafics. What is your point?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I remember a while back the hockey broadcasts had a halo around the puck so people to see the location of the puck. It was really annoying. (they were trying to allow the new hockey fan a chance to follow the action.) I wasn't alone in the opinion because soon after this graphic started, it ended.

I am guessing that the graphics change for better or for worse each round. this time, we have less. Just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Is the UN Involved in this decision somehow for NBC to blatantly disregard this feature of the sporting broadcast?

Yes the UN is involved, it's an evil insidious conspiracy....

No I think it's more likely another example of NBC's lamentable coverage.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
I too noticed how so many things seemed rushed, and there was less attention to nationalism. Made me think either yea, we are inevitably(force and circumstance) moving towards a singular civilization, or they were just trying to appeal to the shrinking attention span of the day, with rapid fire presentations, going all 'modern' on us.

I have some questions.

Outside of the normal paranoia that's abound here at ATS. What's wrong with a single Global civilization? I mean the most popular Sci-fi books, TV shows and Movies show humanity achieving such lofty goals.

Also, Whats wrong with just highlighting the Athletes VS. which country they are from?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

The same goes for track and field. There just isn't a lot of effort in displaying country information.

Well, that's very interesting and perceptive - the 'track and field' athletics don't start until Friday?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
For the swimming, just find out what colour your nations swimming cap is. Great Britain's are red, so that's how I identify them. Are you just a little bitter about losing the relay to the French.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Bobbitt, Philip. Nation-states becoming market-states. Can't recommend his work highly enough.

The concept of having pride in your country or nation will be hilarious to people 50 years from now...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Outside of the normal paranoia that's abound here at ATS. What's wrong with a single Global civilization? I mean the most popular Sci-fi books, TV shows and Movies show humanity achieving such lofty goals.

I share the sentiment slayer, although I wonder what some of our conservative friends would say about the notion? As a fan of sci-fi I have always anticipated a day when a global society comes together, and I support the idea as long as there is exceptional transparency and fair elections. This would reduce division and help to usher in a new a paradigm of cooperation that stands to benefit everyone, and not just some.I like the idea of representatives more than leaders too.

Also, Whats wrong with just highlighting the Athletes VS. which country they are from?

I guess nothing is wrong, I was just relating to the op in that by comparison, this year seems to have less emphasis on nationality. Historically, nationality has been a pertinent aspect of the games, but less emphasis is okay with me. Maybe it is a sign o the times.
edit on 30-7-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

FYI

1. China 9 5 3 [17]
2. United States 5 7 5 [17]
3. France 3 1 3 [7]
4. DPR Korea 3 - 1 [4]

edit on 30-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
OK, folks.

We have a competitive one here, and I think Nationalism is alive and well:

FYI

1. China 9 5 3 [17]
2. United States 5 7 5 [17]
3. France 3 1 3 [7]
4. DPR Korea 3 - 1 [4]

Yeah, I'll say it aloud: Go United States!

Aside: What's up with Great Britain? Are you the UK, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales or each in the Olympics? (Honest question)

edit on 30-7-2012 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
yep,
Kissinger said nationalism has to go....the paradigm is changing much too fast for me

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I noticed as well, however, I consider nationalism to be an evil of this world, so Im not too upset about it.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I've never really been into the Summer Olympics (my preference has always been the Winter Olympics) and so honest question here for those who watch both:

Does it seem that there is more nationalistic tendencies during one or the other, or does it appear to be about the same?

Maybe it's just me, but I find it much easier to get fired up rooting a hockey game between the US and Russia or Canada then I do a swim meet.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BurningSpearess

Aside: What's up with Great Britain? Are you the UK, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales or each in the Olympics? (Honest question)

edit on 30-7-2012 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

Yup we all compete together as one, however our stronger events are to come, so don't be fooled by the slow start.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

Thanks for clearing that up...

I was just wondering why "Great Britain" was selected instead of "United Kingdom"?

Aside from that, good luck on catching up, lol, just kidding...in the grand scheme of things who really cares?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm seeing plenty of Nationalism on the side of the USA, and I have no problems differentiating teams while watching selected events....?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join