It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where was God in Aurora?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
appears you have a point about the absence since "God" is eternal

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
1John3

edit on 29-7-2012 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
we failed, not God.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Where was Obama during Aurora? Just because bad things happen in the world, this does not mean God doesn't exist, and that he doesn't have good intentions. There is light and darkness in this world, but without the darkness, we could not see the light. In addition, those tragic deaths are only a transition to the afterlife.

I think there is a lot about the spiritual world that we do not know as a people, but that can begin to be proven by science. This does not mean that I agree with organized religions - at the moment, I think they are starting to go off their rocker, especially the more conservative ones in the U.S.

I realize that I might alienate a lot of people by believing in merging spirituality and science, but I truly believe that this is the most healthy future. People might not believe me, but that's okay, because hopefully I will be able to provide them evidence one day.

Finally, if you want to know where God was, you might start looking at the three guys who saved their girlfriends by jumping in front of bullets.
edit on 30-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

God exists, because you do. God is blameless, and can not be categorized by man-made religion. God created the universe and gave us the power to balance it out. We are here to grow and to learn. The very fact that we still question "does God exist" shows how immature we are as a race. If this type of evil was not accepted by us in our society/world, it would not exist. Period! We create it, we tolerate it, we embrace it, we perpetuate it, we watch our fellow man destroy one another on t.v. as a form of entertainment. We've allowed these wars and the complete erosion of human rights. Silence is betrayal, and we've been silent for far too long. We get what we deserve. The balance has not been preserved. To say that God should step in is the very same thing as saying govt. should step in because we can not manage ourselves. Our so called leaders are leading us straight into hell. When will we learn?

We, the human race, need to get of our knees and take responsibility for ourselves.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Where was God in Aurora?,

He was in you.
He is in me.
Maybe asking the wrong question, where were we?

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who do not believe, no proof is possible. - Stuart Chase

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by triplereiki
I have heard too many times that when bad things have happened, folks have said "It was God's will" Well, I dont think that kind of god is very caring or loving when he lets so much evil run amock. When I worked hard and succeeded, and started seeing results of the fruit of my labor, some folks have said "Thank God"....I immediately told them, "No, god had nothing to do with the sweat that dripped off my brow, the muscles I strained, and the effort I put into stepping forward each and every day".....That thoroughly pissed them off. People should start thinking from within instead of some invisible idea womewhere on the outside. It is we, who perform miracles, or sometimes are at the wrong or right place at the wrong or right time. Just as god isnt forcing that person to step in front of an oncoming train, that person is not in their right mind to think god will stop that train for him. We are to take responsibility for our actions and choices, learn from lessons in life, and use our own judgements to pursue the best path to follow.

But it's all there-all of your answers-in your very last sentence.
Almost always, we answer our own questions.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Now that i've aged i've come to notice the same in them all but I "attack" Christianity because I hope that maybe perhaps I can change minds in time.

You might change minds, but most likely it will be your own mind that changes.

Eventually it will be common knowledge.

I agree!

If it were up to me, I would have us start from scratch right now, a world project to find god.
Conclusive proof of a god, even 1 piece of evidence,
I would be a follower for life, that's why I search, in my own way.

Sounds like a great plan! I hope you continue your search. Seek, and ye shall find.
Always......

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Same place He always is, letting us have free will. The argument you use is rediculously stupid, should only take 2 brain cells meeting momentarily to see how dumb it is.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
thisd thread bring about the same argument that cannot be ended by one side or the other. Believers belief and atheists will not belief.

Im a atheist myself, but i cant fully throw the possability of a 'higher power''of some sorts away. I just know its not one of the current religions that excist. Human religions are afterall, made by humans.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Maybe the Christian god could give a rats ass about America. We're not exactly a venerable nation worthy of divine intervention. If there is no divine intervention for the suffering in Africa, why would there be intervention for the gluttonous in America?

It's simple: god doesn't care because she's shopping.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Some of you complain about God's lack of intervention as if it is a bad thing. If He gave us what we deserve, it would be Aurora style shootings 24/7. The Jews tried to corner Jesus with a similar dilema of whether or not the persons who had a tower fall on them were greater sinners, Jesus' answer was "Unless you repent, you will likewise perish". You should all be thanking God you weren't involved, but instead you complain? Repent while you still have a chance

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
God is everywhere. You can't imagine He's likes what goes down anymore than anyone else who suffers does.

He may be the reason the AK-47 jammed leaving 100 bullets un-fired. Who knows?????

What I know is this: he may be the reason why that wacko was able to buy 4000 rounds of ammunition and a drum magazine for his rifle (no, I don't think that having drum magazines is essential for home defense and the amendment du jour).

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

but starvation , famine , masacre , war , epediemic , flood , tornado , poverty still ran rampant - where was god ?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I find your remarks as equally offense as the GUN BAN idiots, God gave man free will over the earth after they had sinned in the garden of Eden. God went from benevolent caregiver to "seek me first" if we humans lived according to the scriptures this wouldn't be happening so there for we will continue to live with these types of acts until Jesus's return.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mythos

It's understandable, the definition of atheism you've been working with is the same one I was also using my entire life until a friend of mine set me straight (and subsequent searches into the real definition proved him right).

An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in god(s).

If you believe in one or more god you are a theist, if you don't believe in god(s) you are an atheist. So atheism runs the gambit from those who outright claim there's absolutely no god to those who leave some intellectual wiggle room. A person who claims to KNOW there are no gods is called a Gnostic-atheist, this is because agnostic and gnostic refer to knowledge. So an agnostic-atheist is an atheist who doesn't believe but also doesn't claim to know that there are no gods. Most atheists are agnostics. The gnostic and agnostic labels can both apply to theists as well.

There are those who choose to label themselves simply agnostic, usually to avoid the baggage associated with either the theist or the atheist label. I used to label myself just agnostic because I didn't know the definition of atheism and agnosticism were not mutually exclusive and that I actually fit both categories.

There will always be those who seek to use tragedy for an agenda, be it for political, ideological, personal or religious reasons. I mean just look at the Westboro Baptist Church, they're the epitome of that practice. I think a lot of the issue here is the internet, people are more ready to spout their opinions, we've all gotten used to transparency and documenting every thought we have to such an absurd degree that people react without thinking even outside the internet.
edit on 30-7-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
Where was God in Aurora? You're no doubt referring to the kindergarten, exoteric, orthodox concept of God that Joe Sixpack refers to. When you have a grown-up concept of God to ponder, let me know.

Surely growing up implies observing the lack of evidence for the existance of any of these invisble men that live in the sky regardless ofall new whistle and bells packaging you may choose to give them

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
This seems to be a variation of "why does evil exist?" Let's say that God created everything "perfect," then eventually, its residents will ask, what exactly is the purpose? Even sex with the most beautiful women in the world can get boring eventually(and that's not to say that there aren't already worlds like that out there). No matter what type of worlds you have, eventually, its residents will yearn for something new, and perhaps that something new is eventually evil(like we're yearning for good.)

What if God's purpose of THIS world is to allow a sufficient amount of evil, and that a society where everybody exists in harmony is the goal?

Now it IS possible that he made the game too hard, and allowed too much evil, as my opinion is that God is merely a computer programmer(among many) in a higher dimension(simulation hypothesis, and so far, this seems to fit best, especially why the constants have the values that they do(someone must have programmed them that way), why the universe is describable by math(if not an expression of or math itself), why the Higg Boson data can be heard as music, etc. Even the multiverse can be explained by the fact that we are merely a program among many. You can even add souls to them, and perhaps that is what makes the programs "come alive"), so yes, it's possible that he made a mistake.

Is it possible that the God in the highest dimension also made a mistake, or not omniscient? Well, if we assume that THAT God is an Energy Source that is constantly evolving, then yes, it's possible that he is not omniscient, as by definition, he wouldn't need to evolve, if he has learned all there is, but that doesn't make him any less of a God, and doesn't really matter much, in the grand scheme of things. As long as he has the power to reproduce souls, controls life and death, and we don't really die, that's enough I think.
edit on 30-7-2012 by np6888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Your Getting the christian God mixed up with some other gods. Yes God is all knowing and all powerful, but humans also have free will God just dosent swoop down and says "do what I tell you to, or im gonna vap you" we have the ability to choose wether or not to do good or bad, and hes going to let us. He could have sent down thousands of angels and wipped out the roman's and the jews for crucifying Jesus, but he let it happen. We are all Gods Property he can do with us as he pleases, we get mad at him and say if he does exist why does he let so much bad happen. Well I say if he dosen't exist why do we let so much bad happen !!!! how about we get off our computers and stop talking trash about a non existing being and start changing the world. Why don't you show us christians your better than us and go start a organization that ends slavery all around the world, or start a soup kitchen in your area to end hunger. Stop focusing on a non existing God who can't do anything to make the world a better place and start focusing on making it better yourself.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Why do people spend their time concentrating on something they dislike??? Reminds me of those women who go out of their way to be extra mean to guy because they secretly like him.

either that or some people are just sadistic who cannot let others be happy. If you are happy with your belief you do not spend your time crapping on others beliefs. unless crapping on others makes you happy.. weirdos..

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Gods are completely indistinguishable from things that do not exist. So a God could've been there in Aurora, but we'd never have any reason to think one was.

The world ticks along just how any sane person would expect it to. Bad people doing bad things, good people doing good things, no super space ghosts required.

I see the free will garbage being thrown around in this thread, unsurprisingly.

Ponder this.......were you asked if you wanted free will?
edit on 30-7-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join