It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rules For Maintaining a Thread...Are There Any???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
We all start threads with the hope of much contribution from other members...but is there a guideline for maintaining that thread?

Should we check back every few hours?

Star every poster?

Decide my threads worth by those that contribute...(long time members...and the famous members of ATS)?

I've been a member for a minute or two...and have a few threads out there...but following the norm seems to be sporadic at best...so what kind of etiquette should we use when following and "up-keeping" our threads?

Should a thread author respond to all contributers?

I hope I am asking some questions that all of us thread starters wonder about!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Rule#1: Make a good thread with intelligent and insightful comments.
Rule#2: Wait 5 minutes for boncho to make a snarky comment.
Rule#3: Don't call people "poopy pants" when you disagree with them.
Rule#4: Star and reply to every single poster! This is fun when your thread goes over 10 pages!
Rule#5: Create a duplicate thread after about 1 hour, just in case someone missed the first one.

If you write it they will come!
edit on 29-7-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I check on a thread that I make periodically. I dont star every reply, just the good ones. If they disagree with my opinion but do it respectfully and with a valid argument, I will star them, as well as posts that agree with my opinion.
edit on 29-7-2012 by Juggernog because: my grammar sucks

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

When I write a thread, I tend to star anyone (except for trolling comments), bc they took the time to reply. It's a courtesy but not everyone follows it.

I reply to the posts that further the thread or argue against the premise presented. The hope is to get an interesting, meaningful discussion going. Watch out for the one-liners, they can derail a thread quickly.

All threads have a lifespan. The great and interesting threads may be top for several days before dying away. Some threads only live hours. And some threads die as soon as they're off the New Topic page.

Of course, just when you've forgotten about your thread, someone resurrects it for an hour or so.

Hard to say what will appeal to the ATS masses. Good luck!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Don't make a thread for every thought that goes through your head.

Star all posters who make some kind of effort.

Be a good thread host, pay attention to detail, and be courteous.

Don't flood ATS with nonsense.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Star all posters who make some kind of effort.

Be a good thread host, pay attention to detail, and be courteous.

Don't flood ATS with nonsense.

I got it all except for the "nonsense" part...nonsense to who?

I mean we all have seen enough "chemtrail/contrail" threads...and probably enough "Holmes" threads...alien and UFO threads are charted pretty well too...but what do you suppose constitutes a nonsense thread?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I couldn't agree more.

Nothing chaps my a$$ like a thread with a title like this>>>...*I'm going to bed early tonight*....

Des
edit on 29-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
On the evening when I "launch" a thread, I stay on ATS for at least as long as it remains on the Recent Posts page.
That makes it easier to give rapid responses to the people who reply.
I don't "star" everyone, but I do tend to respond to everyone, even the flippant replies and the critics; they're all helping to bump the thread, which brings it to the notice of fresh readers.
Be aware of time-zones- don't add new stuff when your main readership is asleep in bed, but save it for when they're more likely to be online.
Check MyATS daily, to see if there have been new replies.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I couldn't agree more.

Nothing chaps my a$$ like a thread with a title like this>>>...*I'm going to bed early tonight*....

Des

I'm going to bed early tonight Des!

Agreed though...the blatantly stupid are available and abundant lately!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I've only started a few threads, the most active one (which isn't a lot) is the one on my signature, about helping members with their avatars, sigs and background images. I try too keep it up to date and if someone has a problem I try my best to help them.

A few points I consider important:

-Make a good, informative OP, don't just post a link to a video and write "Thoughts?" at the end.

-Sources are important, don't forget to link back to them.

-Don't feed the trolls! If someone is being disruptive, alert them instead of replying because then you'd have several pages of banter that could possibly get the thread closed.

-Be polite. If you disagree, don't recur to insults. Instead, respectfully state your opinion.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

what do you suppose constitutes a nonsense thread?

Other than what's previously mentioned...

Anything that starts with "What if...."

And anything that trolls Religious controversy for no reason.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Posters and threads are kinda like parents and kids.

After birth some care for and nurture the kid / thread to be all that they can be in the world.

Some drop them off and hope everything turns out ok for them.

Most fall somewhere in between.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra
I've only started a few threads, the most active one (which isn't a lot) is the one on my signature, about helping members with their avatars, sigs and background images. I try too keep it up to date and if someone has a problem I try my best to help them.

A few points I consider important:

-Make a good, informative OP, don't just post a link to a video and write "Thoughts?" at the end.

-Sources are important, don't forget to link back to them.

-Don't feed the trolls! If someone is being disruptive, alert them instead of replying because then you'd have several pages of banter that could possibly get the thread closed.

-Be polite. If you disagree, don't recur to insults. Instead, respectfully state your opinion.

Very good advice...and from a long time, excellent thread author...thank you!

Sources...as we have come to find out over time...are essential...and need some speculation occasionally!

Linked videos are always good support for a members "own" thoughts...and should be included for sure!

As far as feeding trolls...they are well fed here...and I have nothing to offer them!

Be polite is something that we all hope for...even in disagreements and debates...but it is rare unfortunately!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Hello OP and everyone....thank you for this thread, I've been wondering the same things myself, lol.
I have been here a while (long time lurker, fairly new member) but haven't participated very much.
After the last few days, I seem to be thinking of "awesome" threads to start (awesome could be debatable, hehe) but wasn't quite sure of thread management etiquette.
Anyway....all seriousness aside.....thank you!
jacygirl

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I try not to respond to any thread where I see that the OP has "Left the Building", as is in your case, but I'm going to respond anyway..

There seems to be a trend of threads popping up about the rudeness or lack of attention by OPs and regular posters.

Here's one:
If ATS Had An Entrance Exam To Be a Member. What Questions Would You Like To See
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted this response,

1. Can you read the Whole OP before responding ?

2. If you respond to someone, will you be able to "Write Correctly", proper punctuation.

3. Are you a Rude person, if so, please DO NOT JOIN.

4. Are you an "Out of the Box Thinker", do you believe that things you don't know about could be possible.

5. If you start your own thread, will you respond to others comments for at least the first 8-10 pages, (if not), then refer to #3.

------------------------------------------

I thought it would fit right in with your thread, especially #s 3 and 5.

I know some threads don't go for 8-10 pages, but maybe it's because we have too many where the OP only sticks around for the first 20-30 minutes, and then "Leaves the Building".

Check out the other thread, there's some good info in there

Hope that Helps

Peace

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FutureThinker

1. Can you read the Whole OP before responding ?

^ THIS

I wrote a thread once about a strange insect found saying it was NOT new but relatively unknown in its country of origin. There were members that kept posting over and over how the bug was not new, and listed several species that looked similar when I clearly stated in my OP that it wasn't new, just strange.

Apparently not everyone reads the OP completely before responding and sometimes they even reply in a rude manner. That's just wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

Apparently not everyone reads the OP completely before responding and sometimes they even reply in a rude manner. That's just wrong.

There was a thread started about this a couple weeks ago...I can't to find it in the search!

It is an obvious problem though!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FutureThinker

I try not to respond to any thread where I see that the OP has "Left the Building", as is in your case, but I'm going to respond anyway..

Ya...every once in awhile I log off of ATS!

I don't know about left the building...I am back pretty often!

top topics

join