It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow over 13,000 = Bad economy ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
So I have been rattling this around in my brain lately

The Dow is at 13,075 as of right now

Major corporations are showing profits but yet we sit here with very high unemployment.

The record high for the Dow is 14,154 in 2007.

Something just dosen't seem right. You would think with being so close to the record high we would have better employment numbers.

I personally believe the corporations are sitting on the profits and not expanding or hiring.

The money is stagnant.

They cannot keep going on the economy sucks if the Dow keeps creeping up.

What say you?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The market are manipulated
especially the DOW

remember the 1000 pts drop and after second it came back to normal

how weird

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

There are TONS of jobs out there... people are hiring all over.

America is filled with religious idiots who want the world to end... so they are not going to get jobs.. they are going find a way to kill themselves but still get into heaven.

Its sick an disgusting.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

My take (as a student of the markets) is that a) lower employment has meant that corporations can lower their expenses and improve relative profitability and their balance sheets before the demand returns in the economy, b) markets are forward looking and they may be discounting a Romney victory which would be better for business "net net", c) the markets are rigged (even more so since the Plunge Protection Team was formed after the 1987 crash) and ''tptb'' have managed to trap a lot of recent shorts in the market thru the buying of stock index futures and ''engineered'' news ("positive" economic reports and statements from the ECB Pres) to create short term buying stampedes in the market. "They" (the administration) want the stock market to be firm before the election to take the sting out of the argument that "it is the economy stupid." The challenge for them recently has been to actually let the market go down in the short run to force energy (ie gasoline) prices lower for the consumer and yet contain the markets from a continuation collapse and slowly allow it to rise as we get closer to the election for a positive net effect on voters.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I remember reading in all those double dip gloom and doom threads, that the DOW would make a marked recovery before a MAJOR dip...

Wonder if this is what they where talking about.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Zaanny

America is filled with religious idiots who want the world to end... so they are not going to get jobs.. they are going find a way to kill themselves but still get into heaven.

Its sick an disgusting.

Keep believing in that, until you yourself in it.

Learn about how the great depression started and why it started.

On topic, what goes up must come down, whats bubble must explode, supply and demand law by itself will correct such a high price
With unemployment, astronomical debt, lack of direction to corporations from USA international stand, etc, you can say USA are at the edge of great depression or a great war, either one.

I would be shorting DOW if I'm trading it, good price

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The market is responding to the beat of war drums. War is good business and business is about to get good.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
in the words of Conway Twitty, "It's only make believe" as the story goes the DOW is never an indicator of the economy, yet many people still think it is.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

THEY LIE
plain and simple.
It will be a very hard fall when it does.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Zaanny

Its sick an disgusting.

you want to run that by a lessor educated audience maybe once before you sell that crap here?
You know, just to gauge your B.S. content before you hit the "Big's"

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Its sick an disgusting

Ever hear of a thing called the "Living Wage"? You might want to look it up before the dominoe effect comes and bites you in the ass! Then all of us on ATS can listen to you boo hoo about how unfair things are!!!!

Also to bring religion into it just goes to show you how ridiculous your post is...............Hmmmm, I guess only religious people believe in a fair wage for a days work????

WOW!!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The "Dow 30" is not the same as the smaller local businesses that employ the majority of Americans.

The "Dow 30" companies are all international and they have plenty of ways to "adjust" their accounting to suit a profit & loss statement.

They also make some money without American employees.

Unemployment has dropped 2 percentage points or so the last 2 years.

To get below 5%, the small businesses need to hire full scale.

And, many investors are not buying U.S. Treasuries and CD's because of low interest rates.

Plus that, the majority of money going in and out of the Dow 30 are from the big institutions that handle money for the other institutions as well as rich individuals. The biggest institutions own the bulk of the Dow 30 stock.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I am convinced and reassured that everything will be ok now. Thanks OP.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

ding ding ding. You win. winner winner chicken dinner.

In 2007 the dow was less than 25% in financial institutions. Today it's like 80%. They do not create jobs, they take them.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Even if the number is manipulated, the yearly reports for profit show the major corporations showing profit.

But we give American corporations tax breaks with record profits but they don't spend the profits.

Its like a big money vacuum.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I'm going to sing this old band song that I'm once, their fan.

Song is for different nature, but still usable on USA context.
When you are multinational, who gives a damn about where DJIA goes ?

Multinational corporation, genocide of the starving nation.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
As of today....

Dow Jones Industrial Average
Dow Jones Indices: .DJI - Jan 25 4:51pm ET

Economy still is stagnate

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Over 14,000

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

The stock market isnt reflecting median income. It reflects profits. Do you know how these companies profit? Let give you a hint, not by hiring and not by paying their employees what they deserve.

I apologize for coming off strong.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The ZImbabwe stock market is at record highs. The problem is that most stock portfolio's in Zimbabwe will only allow you to buy 3 eggs.

The DOW will likely reach epic heights but it's purchasing power measured in dollars will buy you very little. We are witnessing an invisible crash.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join