It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember, global warming is a "hoax"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarIce

Okay, I welcome you to argue with NASA. They generated the data on that one, not I. I'm going with the guys carrying all the letters this BBC piece based all their data on. Looks like a rare event to me...even if they are suggesting it was predictable? That part is interesting. Really... I didn't invent the date and year stretch.

Watch this space
He said that, because this Greenland-wide melting has happened before - in 1889 - scientists are not yet able to determine whether this is a natural but rare event, or if it has been sparked by man-made climate change.

"Ice cores from Summit show that melting events of this type occur about once every 150 years on average. With the last one happening in 1889, this event is right on time," said Lora Koenig, a glaciologist from Nasa's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland and a member of the research team analysing the satellite dat

edit on 29-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Corrected Quote... My paste picked up Side-Bar text. Oops

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well actually I'm using data from NEEM that was posted under Harvard, and ironic enough NASA backed it at the time...

see here

That's the thing, it was predictable because it happens every so often, this is our only second time seeing it, because we've only been tracking this stuff for so long. Sadly like everything else the climate will be made into a profit for a few wealthy individuals, and as always we will have to pay the price to feed the rich...
edit on 29-7-2012 by SolarIce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I applaud your thread in bringing this to everyone's attention. I'd written about this myself on another site so didn't need to come up to speed to appreciate your point. What happened here was staggering for scope and scale in such a short period of time.

Therein lies the rub though. Man can't make Hurricanes, can't make Tornadoes and sure can't melt the ice off an entire land mass in less than a month by global warming.

There is climate change, I have never debated that. I could have sworn the weather started getting downright crazy in the mid 90's and just keeps getting wilder in examples since. I'll tell ya though. I give a whole lot more credit to that giant ball of fire in the sky for climate deviation than anything man has done. As someone else noted. If we call it climate change, we can smile, agree and be horrified together at the spectacle which just happened in Greenland.

In the Middle Ages, the religious right wing tried to deny the fact that was emerging that The Sun was the center of the Solar System, not the Earth.

Now, the religious right are mostly denying global warming, or even that The Sun has anything to do with it.

Why are they so insecure about The Sun? Is it because it's very probable that the pagan "Sun" that was worshipped at the time of the Romans (and before) got mistranslated into "Son" for their Christian worship?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
We just came out of a freakin ice age what do you people expect

What do you mean by "You People"?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Actually the sun is too blame, I'm pretty sure other planets have seen an increase in temps.The problem though is this climate change is being cause by us, and our carbon emission...so naturally we need to pay a carbon tax to fix it. Which funny enough in this day and age we have the tech to switch to safer energy powers, but why do that no one could dare profit off free energy..
edit on 29-7-2012 by SolarIce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarIce

Hey, thank you for that. Now I feel bad about being sharp on my reply there. I can see your very serious and I added that link to my bookmarks under ATS >Climate change.
It looks like a good one to refer back to on data or a starting place to lead to more if the need arises.

@Babybunnies

You've lost me. Entirely. Totally. It's bad enough to make the current climate issues and whatever is ultimately causing and contributing to it, all about right/left politics. Today, I'm sad to agree, that point has real merit. However, you start out by carrying the Right/Left political paradigm clear back into a period of history where it didn't even exist in a way any Rightie or Leftie would ever recognize if time travel were available to look.

Sorry, but there is a point where it's taken so far into straight politics, I don't know where to go with it anymore. Last I checked, Republicans and Democrats weren't sporting some Party issued super-shields or something. We all roast or freeze as the human race and for that reason, I'm after truth. Not Politics. We'll see how it plays out.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No problem mate.

We all roast or freeze as the human race and for that reason, I'm after truth. Not Politics. We'll see how it plays out.

and +1 for awesome quote.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

Actually, if you read what the scientists have to say on the subject, they arent saying they believe this can be proven to be part of 'global warming', and may very well be part of a larger, cyclical change. It MAY be proof of global warming, but no one is saying its irrefutable.

It's too bad there is so much hyperbole from people on either 'side' of this debate who ignore the science in favor of their own predetermined ideas:

"Ice cores from Summit show that melting events of this type occur about once every 150 years on average. With the last one happening in 1889, this event is right on time," says Lora Koenig, a Goddard glaciologist and a member of the research team analyzing the satellite data. "But if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome."

www.nasa.gov...
edit on 29-7-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
If you call it climate change, we can all just move on here.

Hot summers, freezing winters, who would have thought?

Okay, thats just absurd, as well. This is FAR MORE THAN A WARM SUMMER.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

i don't know what to think of the greenland ice sheet melt. i have read conflicting information.

i do believe that climate change/ global warming is happening and humans are to blame for it's rapid pace. i'm not in the majority on this site for sure. i have so far read nothing that could change my mind regarding the hoax of the climate change deniers. the hoax in my opinion is the giant corporations spending tons of money to fund flawed studies and the promotion of misinformation so they don't have to cut their profits.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

global warming is a hoax it's freezing here, so who was heating the other planets? ALL the planets were warming up at the same rate as earth, how can we tax the E.Ts?????????

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Absurd? We've had other hot summers. and cold winters, look at the weather historically. I do believe we are going through some changes, and I think I said that. I just don't buy the global warming scenario laid out by Gore and friends. That scenario is about taxing us all, if you will just believe.

I believe we are going through weather change due to the sun and the position of earth within our galaxy, along with the possibilitly that the Gulf oil spill may have contributed to a failure of part of the jet stream these last couple of years and thereby pushed weather patterns off course. All guesses, but like Marg said, the media loves to use words like " unprecidented heat" or "hottest summer on record" yet, there are records of just these temps hot and cold, in our past. remember reading about the Dust Bowl?

PS: The heat this year, would have been tolerable, if there had been precipitation. We will suffer due to the lack of precipitation, not the heat.
edit on 30-7-2012 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Everyone seems to forgets that we are in a solar max. Which would also heat up the other planets. Plus when we take into account volcanos, then I dont believe the hype that we are heating the planet up by driving cars ect. Sure it will have an effect, but not what we are being brainwashed with by the govts and media. Who are just after money in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5

What do you mean by "You People"?

Ann Romney must have an ATS account.

erm, second line

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The Koch Brothers funded a study to deny man-made global warming. BUT then this happened:

Shocker: Man-Made Global Warming Verified By Koch Brothers Sponsored Study!

An op/ed set to be published next week in the New York Times will summarize BEST’s findings with regard to global temperature trends. From a copy of the op/ed, Converted Skeptic, circulating on the web Richard Muller is quoted:

CALL me a converted skeptic. Three years ago I identified scientific issues that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Now, after organizing an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I’ve concluded that global warming is real, that the prior estimates of the rate were correct, and that cause is human.

My turnaround is the result of the careful and objective analysis by the “Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature” team, founded by me and my daughter Elizabeth. Our results show that the average temperature of the Earth’s land has risen by two and a half degrees Fahrenheit over the past 250 years, and one and a half degrees Fahrenheit over the most recent 50 years. Moreover, it appears likely that essentially all of this increase is due to the human emission of greenhouse gases.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

As phroziac said - we are coming off of an ice age (as well as the the little ice age which occurred during the Maunder Minimum). Of course temperatures are warmer. That's what happens after an ice age.

Also, Greenland wasn't always the ice covered land we know it as. There was a rather large settlement of people (Vikings, I think) who lived in the fertile land of Greenland for quite some time - growing crops, herding cattle or sheep (I forget which) as well as several other settlements. There is a reason it was named "Green"land and that reason is not ice.

Edited to add: As for the current "climate change", I would like to point out that while a lot of you are complaining about the excessive heat, we here in the Pacific Northwest (and specifically in Western Washington state) are having cooler than normal temperatures. Not that I'm complaining because I hate the heat. I prefer fall temperatures myself - cool enough for a jacket but warm enough for shorts...anyway, other than a week here and there our summer has been cooler than normal so it's not truly "global" warming.

edit on 30-7-2012 by tallcool1 because: Washington state climate info

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It happens every 150 years...according to NASA.

"WASHINGTON -- Nearly all of Greenland's massive ice sheet suddenly started melting a bit this month, a freak event that surprised scientists.

Even Greenland's coldest and highest place, Summit station, showed melting. Ice core records show that last happened in 1889 and occurs about once every 150 years."

www.firstcoastnews.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Absurd? We've had other hot summers. and cold winters, look at the weather historically. I do believe we are going through some changes, and I think I said that. I just don't buy the global warming scenario laid out by Gore and friends. That scenario is about taxing us all, if you will just believe.

Yes, if your understanding of the rather complex, evolving and deep body of information known as 'climate science' is limited to pop references like Al Gore, it's easy to understand why you could make such broad, inaccurate assumptions about it being 'all about taxes'

I believe we are going through weather change due to the sun and the position of earth within our galaxy,

Yes, thats a popular theory, and one with some merit. But it does not explain all of the warming we are experiencing in terms of global climate.

, the media loves to use words like " unprecidented heat" or "hottest summer on record" yet, there are records of just these temps hot and cold, in our past. remember reading about the Dust Bowl?

And, again, no one is saying that just a hot summer in one spot is confirming proof of 'global warming'. The point is, these sorts of weather 'extremes' (and yes, we are breaking records quite a bit in the past few years., which you seem to be ignoring) are what climate models have predicted for a long time now. If you were willing to take the time to actually analyze the info you claim to disagree with, you might realize there is a lot ocuring now which has been modeled for many years now. It's unfolding in front of us, and discounting it, out of hand, with anecdotal evidence about previous hot or cold days is really only a limitation yu are placing on yourself in terms of understanding that complex body of information i referred to at the beginning of this post

PS: The heat this year, would have been tolerable, if there had been precipitation. We will suffer due to the lack of precipitation, not the heat.
edit on 30-7-2012 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

Yeah, record droughts are like that. "Global warming' doesnt mean 'hot everywhere'. It means an increase int he earth's temperature, which translates into extended drought, extreme rainfall, wild temperature shifts, etc. All of which we are seeing.

I challenge and encourage you to look beyond the pop-arguments 'for' and 'against' and read some information that challenges your assumptions. There is WAY more to this than just Al gore and carbon tax schemes. You are only limiting yourself if you stop there.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce
sooo......

“A core from the CO2 firn-air sampling site at NEEM was retrieved in July 2009, and the physical properties of the firn have been analyzed. In the 81m of analyzed firn core, two regions containing ice layers were identified at depths of 29m and 46m. Isotopic analysis provides a depth-age scale that dates these layers to be from 1935 and 1879, respectively. These years were in the two warmest decades of the instrumental temperature record for Greenland.”

source 1

source 2

1935 was the hight of the Dust Bowl in the US and if you look at what is happening right now in Great Plains its not global warming just a unusual weather pattern that has HAPPENED BEFORE CO2
en.wikipedia.org...
www.srh.noaa.gov...

The fact that both Greenland and the great plains are under the same pattern as in 1935 shows its more likely caused by a weather cycle then global warming.

For millions of years there has been unusual weather some place on earth every year. Now the only difference is the global warming believers automatically claim its caused by global warming

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrZrD

The melting of Greenland ice is a well established cyclical process that reoccurs roughly every 150 years. Here is a link that explains these natural processes in more detail.

Skeptics put the freeze on NASA 'hot air' about Greenland ice

IMO, global warming theories are all bunk. Water vapor will always be the greatest contributor to greenhouse heating on earth with carbon dioxide having only a very minor role. But you cannot tax water vapor so the CO2 villain was created through pseudo-science and greed.

Best regards,
Z
edit on 7/29/2012 by DrZrD because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/29/2012 by DrZrD because: (no reason given)

OUTSTANDING!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join