It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Shooting Case: Media Seek to Unseal Documents, End Secrecy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
It would be quite ironic, if this was an orchestrated distraction, that this judge stole their thunder by sealing the case. Frustrating as it is, I'm not so sure I'm sorry he did it (esp if all we'd be getting from "the media" is bs anyway).

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by cd123456
reply to post by squirelnutz

We need a journalist, of decent repute, who shares some of the same views we have,

Sorry, snipped the mail to show what the real issue is - do you see what you did there? You want unbiased news... from someone who 'shares the same views we have'! So in other words, bias is bad unless it matches your own bias.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

I think that this is a good move, the judge could have sealed the court records in order to protect information that would be controversial and possibly needing to be covered up. If this goes through, we might finally get to have a clearer idea about what was going on in Aurora that night.

What was the reason the judge sealed the records? No one knows.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I'm not sure it's a good thing until the jury selection process is over wirth.. that's the problem with information leaking out is that it severely risks tainting the jury pool .. I think once the court case is under way then it should be unsealed so we can get a steady flow of information.. but until a jury is selected then it absolutely makes sense that things be sealed... this is a very high profile case, it's pretty standard.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Secrecy is the institutions most valuable tool, they will not give it up easily. Why is the details of this secret anyway? It all just implies that stuff is being hidden, which it probably is

My guess is because it's a National Security threat if they release that info.
Some rogue blackop perhaps from CIA or some random agency? Hiding that info would be necessary.
Or even perhaps from a foreign intelligence agency? Can't let the public know we could be infiltrated in such a way.

Why does it have to be so extreme?
.. The sealing of the documents is almost certainly related to jury selection.. he will go on trial and it's already going to be hard enough finding jury members who will know nothing about the case.. when the media starts leaking critical details it damages the process.. Despite what you might think about the guy.. he's still guaranteed the right to a free and fair trial by a jury of his peers.. That's nearly impossible when information is leaked prior to a jury being selected and sequestered.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022
The jurors will not be chosen for some time [possibly years], and that's if this case even gets before a jury. With a gag order in place, future jurors will have to be sequestered and won't be permitted any regular TV, outside of movies, no newspapers or radio..and they can't even discuss the case amongst themselves other than during deliberations. Much will be kept from them [not all evidence is allowed in any case], and the jurors who are chosen will be people who were not interested in the case as it was in the news [within reason considering the magnitude of this tragedy]. It won't be easy finding jurors, but I'm starting to think that this won't get to trail..hope I'm wrong.

I see you sort of hit on things I later said, sorry I didn't notice .. not sure I agree about it not going to trial, and I don't think we'll see this thing drag out for years like you suggest either.. BECAUSE it's such a large and horrific case, I think we'll see this sort of expedited ..

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
it's completely standard for the judge to want information leaks kept to a bare minimum!! he has the right to a fair trial. all of you who think this is a set up are off your rocker. no matter what information comes out you will only see it as a staged event. there is no amount of proof that will make you think otherwise.

he deserves a fair trial. i certainly don't want it to be so messed up with information leaking and a tainted jury that the guy walks off completely free!!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
What if The Notebook contains proof of a conspiracy?

Hear me out and I am not sure if this has beem mentioned.

What if Holmes knew he had some mental problems but was about to take an experimental drug one to help cure his problem but instead made him worse to the point of becoming homicidal? Let's say the Notebook shows his mental decline into madness and does show how he began to plan this horror. This would no doubt involve a Major Drug company and the University could this be the reason behind all the secrecy?

Just wanted to put this out there!
edit on 30-7-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This case shouldnt be released to anyone, let alone the media. Technically speaking an active criminal investigation is not open to FOIA requests anyway, therefore its irrelevant. This case needs to stay gaged so that way a fair trial can be given. Court cases have no business in the public, until after they have been closed. Then file all the FOIAs you want to.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Without having read a majority of the replies to this post, my thought is not that this is any sort of cover-up as much as it is to prevent a mistrial, etc.. The guy is guilty, and we all know that. What the judge, prosecutors, victims and society in general wishes to avoid is having the integrity of the case compromised by saturated media coverage. I don't think that this is such a bad idea.

I know a lot of people are believing that this is some sort of false-flag, psy-op. Sometimes people just "go tragically mad" (in the words of Todd Snider). Not everything has some greater meaning, and I think that it is important for the integrity of the greater ATS community and integrity of the real conspiracies (of which there are many), to use discretion when calling things an "inside job". I could be wrong, but that's my two pennies.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It's apparently just been announced that Holmes has been charged with 24 counts of murder and 116 counts of attempted murder. Is it just me or does that seem to be double the amount of murders/attempteds that were initially reported? Has been charged twice or something? I'm not entirely sure what that's all about.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaemonD14
It's apparently just been announced that Holmes has been charged with 24 counts of murder and 116 counts of attempted murder. Is it just me or does that seem to be double the amount of murders/attempteds that were initially reported? Has been charged twice or something? I'm not entirely sure what that's all about.

That's not uncommon, especially in murder cases. Obviously we don't have all the details here, but they may have charged him with murder 1 AND murder 2. In that case, the jury decides which charges will stick and which charges will be tossed.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Here is one of the only articles I've seen thus far that describes his demeanor on any level, whatsoever, for today.

www.coloradoan.com...|head

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Could be?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
A few days ago the prosecutor said "This won't be a slam dunk case"

Yeah cuz he didn't do it.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luckystars2012

You know, I'm not one for real far out theories, but I'm starting to believe that. He doesn't look like the same guy in the initial pic they showed. Of course people change over time and if he was going through some kind of breakdown, it can change your appearance. But his demeanor and everything about the way he is acting indicates something is way, way off. Can't put my finger on it.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Right. A LOT of people are saying that it's basically open and shut. Whether or not he actually did it, was setup, was a patsy, or whatever.....crazy legal magic can be done on a case hinging on circumstantial evidence....even if it's REALLY compelling circumstantial evidence like this case.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by samcrow

The Port Arthur shooter in Australia, his mother convinced him to plead guilty and he got 34 life sentences with no trial. NOW his Mother says she wish she had not advised that.
That was the case that got gun control there.

If the seek the death penalty this could end up the same, closed and shut forever.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Is perhaps the real reason for so many media organisations wanting a look-see at those documents more to do with ratings and sales over any perceived notion that the public is being 'denied' the truth? Not so many headlines ago, the worlds second-largest media group, News Corporation, was/is being exposed and prosecuted for some wholly immoral news gathering practices. Holmes has just provided the media with a bonanza of a story that is likely to run for some time. Whatever we think about the media, we can all be assured of one thing: the days of Watergate-style investigative reporting are long gone. Profit and not the truth is king and the Murdoch scandal has just proved that to be true on a colossal scale.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is really bad if the documents come to the media because it affects the case and the jury..

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join