It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Japanese 'Decline to Fall in Love'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Young Japanese Decline to Fall in Love

Japan's population is getting smaller so to try to boost the birth rate, payments have been introduced for parents and steps have been made to improve access to child care. But a government survey has revealed a big problem: over a third of young men and more young women have no interest in sex.

There is also a video to watch.

I think this has many implications, for example, women are becoming stronger and leaders in society while men are becoming more passive and keeping to themselves. I also think that a lot of people are in friendships instead of relationships, and enjoying their youth for a longer period of time.

There is a part of American culture that I find to be heavily influenced by Japanese culture, and this is the gamer / anime culture. I don't think Americans in this culture are as affected by this, as I have personally known a lot of gamers who have gotten married or are in long-term relationships. However, I do also notice a trend for people, especially guys, to be more interested in friendships and hobbies than sex. I think this is rather healthy, aside from the fact that it could result in population decline.

Also, I think that having a family with a stable home is important for children, so I hope that those who do decide to get married or have children take it seriously.

One big thing to notice is this idea that men are suddenly becoming more passive while women are becoming more dominant. I am surprised this was pointed out by the BBC, but I have been noticing that in American culture as well, especially the younger you go. I see a future where women are in charge and go to work at top jobs and have fulfilling lives while men work less hours, live on meager incomes and have fulfilling lives doing their hobbies and hanging out with friends. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but it is different.

All in all, probably some good changes, I think.
edit on 29-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I think we are on that track. I think the feminine side of the world will come to bear, and it is about time. I am a guy, and really. Guys have messed this world up for far too long (and some pretty evil women).

But if the circumstances changed, where women (who are governed more by emotion, than logic) will be able to actually make a big difference in the world as a whole. If women ruled with compassion, things would be far different.

There would be no worldwide hunger
There would be no wasteful wars

I could be wrong though and once a month the female president of _________ nukes a random country =P

SnF
edit on 29/7/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

It has been shown that societies where women are in charge have been much more free, stable, and the like. In them, women are also known to desire more sex.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

It has been shown that societies where women are in charge have been much more free, stable, and the like. In them, women are also known to desire more sex.

Sold. when do we start?
There is nothing more than i want than freedom. Stability. And an end to the elite (all of which are male).

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Of course when we have to choose between allocating funds to more electric wheelchairs for the disabled/mentally retarded and building a colony on Mars, the woman would choose the former, causing stagnation, while the male would choose the later, causing progress and expansion(something we may really need sooner rather than later).

So each have their place, methinks.
edit on 29-7-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Interesting. I saw similar yesterday night on Pro7 on German TV. It was about sex culture in different countries. While Japan has the sickest sex industries, mariage sex is not so public.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
At least they're more likely to have mature, well-rounded families instead of a bunch of teenage girls having babies they can't take care of, financially or emotionally. And no, that was not a sexist attack on females.
A decline in birth rate doesn't necessarily mean a decline in society.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

Sold. when do we start?
There is nothing more than i want than freedom. Stability. And an end to the elite (all of which are male).

You forgot to mention hornier females???
How did you miss that part

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I could be wrong though and once a month the female president of _________ nukes a random country =P

SnF
edit on 29/7/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

Those are pretty ignorant and demeaning statements. That is like saying a male president would nuke another country for a booty call.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I lived in Japan for seven months and I have to agree with the OP. Many times women would complain to me about how Japanese men are soft and effeminant. A lot of young people are influenced by the J-pop (japanese pop music) which is mostly comprised of boy bands with feminine features and pretty hair styles.

Add that to the culture of emotional repression and government supression and you get people who are afraid to strike up a conversation with each other.

I taught English when I was there and taught a class titled "Starting Conversations with Strangers", and 95% of the people I asked said that they NEVER start conversations with strangers.

In the city I was born and raised (none of your business), it was unusual for us to NOT talk to someone if we encountered them at a bus stop, or standing in line at your favorite take-out restaurant. If we saw someone we were attracted to, we simply talked to them...easy.

It's hard to believe that Japan was the home of the infamous samurai only a short time ago.

I'd like to add that things could be changing for the better. With the recent protests over restarting the nuclear power plants and the realization that government isn't always looking out for it's peoples best interest, they could be some good old fashioned rebels in the making.

I wish them luck.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Sold. when do we start?

We start today, my friend.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

You are very wise, that is actually the case. Women do tend to focus on their surroundings and maintaining stability, while men tend to focus on goals and bringing fresh information and the like into the system.

I didn't know other people picked up on this sort of thing. I would like to think that if women were in charge, they would allow men to follow their "silly pipe dreams" as well. At least in my experience, when I am in a friendship with a woman, she wants to be free, but she doesn't necessarily mind whatever I do as long as I don't interfere with her.

But this is something to consider. There is also the possibility that once free, women might surprise us with a creativity previously unknown to mankind.

In the end, I don't want to suppress men and their desire to accomplish things, that is totally not the point. If the society did that, it wouldn't be healthy.
edit on 30-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

join