It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Allepo Codex Mystery: Modern Day Intrigue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
the Aleppo Codex is the oldest, most complete, most accurate text of the Hebrew Bible. The story of how it arrived in Jerusalem, is a tale of ancient fears. The story of how some 200 pages of the codex went missing — and to this day remain the object of searches carried out around the globe by biblical scholars, private investigators, shadowy businessmen and the Mossad, Israel’s intelligence agency — is one of the great mysteries in Jewish history.

To talk to the many individuals who are obsessed with finding the missing portions of the codex or solving the mystery of who stole them, or whose histories are somehow bound up with the story of the book, is to get a glimpse of the power it has held over people for more than a thousand years.

In Aleppo, Syria, where the codex was safeguarded for six centuries, it was believed to possess magical properties. It was said that women who looked upon it would become pregnant, that those who held the keys to its safe were blessed, that anyone who stole or sold the codex was cursed and that a terrible plague would wipe out the Jewish community if it were removed from their synagogue.

The story of what happened next — how the codex came to Israel and where the missing pages might have gone — is a murky and often contradictory one, told by many self-serving or unreliable narrators.

On Nov. 30, 1947, the morning after the U.N. General Assembly voted in favor of the establishment of a Jewish state, a mob stormed the Jewish quarter of Aleppo, attacking the Jews and demolishing their businesses and setting fire to the synagogues. News that the codex had been destroyed spread quickly across the globe. Because the elders in Aleppo forbade photographing the manuscript, the invaluable information that it contained was thought to have been lost forever.

The Syrian government took an interest in the codex after an American antiquities merchant offered $20 million for it, and so the leaders of the Aleppo synagogue went to great lengths to persuade Syrian intelligence that the book had been burned. For 10 years, even after word got out that the codex had not been destroyed, they kept it hidden in secret locations and refused to contemplate moving it from Aleppo.

In the mid-1990s, Mossad, with some involvement from the C.I.A. and the U.S. State Department, conducted a large-scale secret operation to get the last Jews out of Syria, including the devastated Aleppo community, many of whose members believed that the curse of the codex had befallen them.

Read more: www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I've never heard of this codex. Pretty intriguing story about it. Other religious artifacts, such as the "Veil of Veronica" are said to have similar powers. I hadn't heard of it either until about two years ago. Thanks for the post.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Pretty scary to think that the people who believe in this crap actually have the ability to destroy the world with the press of a button.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I take everything I read, reduce by half, divide by 4, subtract 80% and therein lies something akin to what actually happened. The fact is, nobody knows and it's all speculation.

new topics

top topics

join