It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music from South Africa!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by majestikc

Hi majestikc.

Thanks for wanting to share some South African rock!

Unfortunately it didn't seem to embed, and the "watch on Youtube" link says the video doesn't exist.

Perhaps the name of the song or artist could lead to an existing video?
I'm quite curious about what you wanted to share.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

One of my Alltime Top 3 most beautiful songs ever in the world!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Juluka - iJwanasibeki (1982)

Juluka

They were forced to keep a low profile and their success came from word of mouth instead of through traditional publicity. Clegg himself was arrested and beaten up by the police on several occasions for his activities and also for the band's lyrics. For some commentators, Juluka were the band that had the greatest success in challenging the racial separateness of Apartheid. When performing, both black and white band members would appear on stage in traditional Zulu dress and perform the traditional Zulu war dance together while singing in Zulu and English.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Thys Die Bosveldklong - Oshakati.

posted on Jul, 5 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Lourens Fourie - Rhodesia Answered Then.

edit on 5-7-2017 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Reviving indigenous Khoi and San identity in rural South Africa with the Riel Dance.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   
RIP Johnny Clegg (7 June 1953 – 16 July 2019)!

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Before everything was quasi-political.

Clout - Substitute.

Amazing how many SA youngsters these days actually think this song was done by Abba or a foreign group.

Clout's first and biggest hit, "Substitute", was a new arrangement of a Righteous Brothers song, composed by Willie Wilson. In 1978, their version reached No. 1 in South Africa, New Zealand, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Austria, Denmark and Belgium. It also reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart and remained in the UK charts for 15 weeks.[1] Due to sanctions against South African artists and performers by UK's Equity at the time, the BBC's Top of the Pops TV programme used the group's performance of the song on the Dutch TV programme TopPop from 8 April 1978 to present the hit song for its top ten countdown. A major success in Europe, Clout scored more Top 10 singles, notably "Save Me", "You've Got All of Me" and "Under Fire". Clout's cover of "Substitute" reached No. 67 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.
en.wikipedia.org...(band)
edit on 3-2-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Oops. I just realized I got confused myself.

But I'd argue please don't trash this thread in favor of a new one.

What remains is still pretty culturally valuable, even to an anthropological degree.

What I would suggest as a disambiguation is that this thread focuses more on historical and ethnographic music (preferably with some context), whereas the other thread(s) focus more on current pop and rock from South Africa.
edit on 3-2-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join