It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Life on Enceladus?

page: 1
5

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
There seem to be more and more articles in the British media refering to life on other planets. The latest - www.guardian.co.uk... - seems very interesting to me and could contain a clue that it may be found here, The reason I think this is from a quote from the article :



Cassini swept over Enceladus at a height of 173km and showed that it did indeed possess an atmosphere, albeit a thin one consisting of water vapour, carbon dioxide, methane and nitrogen. "It was wonderful," says Dougherty. "I just thought: wow!"


It's this "wow" that stands out to me ... reminiscent of the 'WOW' from SETI.

What do people think?




posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by taoistguy
It's this "wow" that stands out to me ... reminiscent of the 'WOW' from SETI.

What do people think?

I think SETI stands for 'Silly Effort To Investigate' - Stanton Friedman.

edit on 28-7-2012 by greyer because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy
 


I agree such could very well be a possibility.
I'm not sure the "wow" is in the same league and the SETI "wow", but more in line with, "Wow, there's an atmosphere here very similar to some of the conditions we postulate regarding Earth's Precambrian and Cambrian period of early life development."

In regard to:

Originally posted by greyer

I think SETI stands for 'Silly Effort To Investigate' - Stanton Friedman.


Stanton Friedman? The guy that quit nuclear physics because he could make more money working less, by touring around the country, pandering to the gullible in speaking engagements, telling stories about UFOs?

He did some decent research in his early days, but, after that, he's devolved into just another circus actor that lives off of selling his books on the subject and getting paid to say the same opinionated thing over and over, still billing himself as a former nuclear physicist though he's spent more time being a circus clown that he ever spent applying himself to the trade of a physical science.

Sure, let's give weight to someone's opinion who's turned their back on real science in favor of a paycheck made from entertainment in the form of validating a mythology from a position of illusory authority.



edit on 28-7-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Here's something else to throw into the equation - facebook has released a new game.

Alien SimCity Invasion

Now, this could either be a way of prepping countless people via fb, or it could just be a harmless meme.



posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Maybe a form of time travel? I dunno just suggestion. Did he say this WOW in person or send it. Maybe time works different and we just got a new/old WOW? Everything makes me think a little. Not saying this is the case of course.



posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy
 





Here's something else to throw into the equation - facebook has released a new game. Alien SimCity Invasion Now, this could either be a way of prepping countless people via fb, or it could just be a harmless meme.


Jeez, clutching?

On Enceladus, this moon definitely sounds worth a visit. If NASA of the ESA aren't on it hopefully the Chinese or/and Russians can send an advanced probe to investigate.



posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The thread's theme is a very proper one, I believe.

Here's my take on a new book that serves as prologue to the next leap in exploration:

www.jamesoberg.com...

The solar system could be teeming with biological activity on a dozen worlds or more.



posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by taoistguy
 


I agree such could very well be a possibility.
I'm not sure the "wow" is in the same league and the SETI "wow", but more in line with, "Wow, there's an atmosphere here very similar to some of the conditions we postulate regarding Earth's Precambrian and Cambrian period of early life development."

In regard to:

Originally posted by greyer

I think SETI stands for 'Silly Effort To Investigate' - Stanton Friedman.


Stanton Friedman? The guy that quit nuclear physics because he could make more money working less, by touring around the country, pandering to the gullible in speaking engagements, telling stories about UFOs?

He did some decent research in his early days, but, after that, he's devolved into just another circus actor that lives off of selling his books on the subject and getting paid to say the same opinionated thing over and over, still billing himself as a former nuclear physicist though he's spent more time being a circus clown that he ever spent applying himself to the trade of a physical science.

Sure, let's give weight to someone's opinion who's turned their back on real science in favor of a paycheck made from entertainment in the form of validating a mythology from a position of illusory authority.



edit on 28-7-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)


You might want to be a bit more generous with your strong opinion on him. First, it is a just cause he has taken based on the evidence of UFOs and constantly growing evidence of ETs. Second, what wonderful job have you chosen for yourself that allows you to belittle him for his choice of a career (even if he is paid by Uncle to push his version of UFOs?



posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy
 


*Yawns* OId news

I read YEARS AGO about water found on Enceladus.. I will be realist and say there will be nothing there just like there is nothing on Europa. It's partly how I feel and Enceladus will be a proof to prepare people for disappointment that despite the water found, will not be holding any organisms. Look else where, perhaps the exo planets if the technology will ever do anything in any near century.



posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy
 


I think people see the word atmosphere and get excited. There are so many things about Earth that make life flourish, not just an atmosphere. Which is a very complicated and unique atmosphere. I'm not saying it's impossible, just don't get your hopes up.



new topics

top topics


active topics

 
5

log in

join