It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Yes, I did build that". Well, not really...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This is a great example of the hypocrisy and sheer wrongness of those attacking the President for daring to state that people don't actually succeed in life alone. The truth that most adults know is that no man is an island- everyone gets help from someone or somewhere, often government.

‘Yes, I Did Build That,’ Says a Businessman — but It Turns Out He Got Some Help
By ROBB MANDELBAUM

President Obama has taken a lot of heat from the Romney campaign and its conservative allies for his “If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that” comment two weeks ago in Roanoke, Va. The presumptive Republican nominee cut a commercial in which a New Hampshire small-business owner took exception to the president’s words. “My father’s hands didn’t build this company? My hands didn’t build this company?” Jack Gilchrist, owner of Gilchrist Metal Fabricating Company, asks resentfully. “Through hard work and a little bit of luck, we built this business. Why are you demonizing us for it?”

But now comes reporting from the field that makes Mr. Gilchrist’s indignation about Mr. Obama’s remarks seem a bit hypocritical.

Mr. Obama was not suggesting that people like the Gilchrists did not create their businesses, only that they had some help in the effort. Here is exactly what he said:

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

Based on the Romney commercial, it might sound as if Mr. Gilchrist is one of those Ayn Rand-styled individualists who don’t actually need all of the things that many others rely on government for. Except that it turns out he’s not. On Monday, The New Hampshire Union-Leader reported that Mr. Gilchrist had received a lot of government help over the years: $800,000 in tax-exempt bonds from the state of New Hampshire, a nearly $500,000 loan guaranteed by the Small Business Administration, federally financed trade adjustment assistance and even nearly $90,000 in military contracts since 2008.

The federally financed tax-exempt bonds most likely provided Mr. Gilchrist’s company with a lower interest rate than a loan, and the S.B.A., as Agenda readers know, guarantees loans that banks wouldn’t otherwise make.

Mr. Gilchrist told a Union-Leader reporter, John DiStaso, that he didn’t believe he’d “compromised anything or misled anybody,” adding:

“I’m not going to turn a blind eye because the money came from the government. As far as I’m concerned, I’m getting some of my tax money back.

“I’m not stupid, I’m not going to say ‘no.’ Shame on me if I didn’t use what’s available. As a matter of fact, right now, I’m driving on a road.”

boss.blogs.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Why do you feel the need to tell us what Obama was thinking? He was doing nothing more than promoting government. Bigger and better helpful government.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
And your point is what?
WHY did you make a thread about this on ATS?

Obama Mama camp is spending more dough then Mitt campaign with false information?

I really do not understand your posturing or postitioning.

You sound too logical to make pointless theads.

You can have another 4 years of Obama. I could care less. Or more.

Go watch them swim laps in England. You deserve that too.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

And your point is what?

The point is that all the people up in arms about Obama's little speech are overreacting if not lying outright and I'm tired of it.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

And your point is what?

The point is that all the people up in arms about Obama's little speech are overreacting if not lying outright and I'm tired of it.

When they don't have an argument they argue the semantics

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well, it's all about Perception isn't it ?

"People" Saw the absolute arrogance in the videos.

"People" Heard the absolute arrogance in the audio.

Now just what exactly is anybody to think ?

The political campaigns are NOT college classroom lectures.

The Obama Campaign has made dozens and dozens of these "gaffes".

The "Roanoke 9 Words" gaffe has irreversible damage.

Two videos --- one a comparison, the other the real "rebuttal".

The "damage Control" is doing more "damage" than the original gaffe !!

I wonder how many "takes" it took to get this right ?

Did he have his fingers crossed behind his back ?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Anybobody that wants to argue Obama or "Mitt" on ATS doesn't deem my time.

Just sayin.

I'd rather hear Sempter call me an idiot then argue who's better for president.

I can deal with reality if I have to.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
What about me.
Quicksilver.
You could distort this great song as sung by Richie Havens and turn it into a political adgenda and that would be just wrong.
One of the nicest guys I've ever met too.
He really is as sincere as he sings.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Im still not sure why you bothered to make this post. Most people here on ATS prefer to be blind and believe what ever Ran Paul and others like him say. Pointing our facts isnt gonna help here.

You post is accurate though in stating that when people succeeded, they had help from some one. They just choose to ignore it and think that they alone did it. Its all delusions.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I disagree. YOUR dillusional if you actually believe the government is an asset and not a liability.

For Obama to proclaim he and the governement is an asset is a mistake.

WTF? And I'm no Republican payed shill either.

Where on Earth did you get the idea the government created my idea's and own them?

Simple question.

How many idea's has President Obama taken from Idea to Product? How many?
Argue ALL DAY off shore sourcing whether good or bad. But at least the idea was tested to market.
Answer? ZERO
While He got paid as a government official.
I'll vote Mitt for the tie breaker.
Both suck, one has a nut sack, even if his Dad paid for it.
Terrible options, but don't blame free market.
At least Mitt understands it,even if his dad paid for his wealth.
I'm trying to do the same thing for my kids.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Gorgi? You ARE confused. You posted to challenge ATS memebers ?

Good for you. Welcome. Kinda feel the "pulse" and throw down.

It's "all good"

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

you spelled "you're" wrong. you are = you're . not your

crap. i forgot what this thread was about... Oh yeah;
politics are dumb.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

The fact that Romney and the anti-Obama folks got so very wrapped up in this statement he made shows how terribly desperate they are to turn people against Obama. Of course, they had to take his words out of context and basically lie about what he said to make it work for them... because they really don't have a lot to go on.

I saw a Gilchrist video where he said himself that he did get help... basically said exactly the same thing Obama did. I can't find the video right now. Grrr!

Here it is. From FOX News! (No wonder I couldn't find it...) Here's Cenk Uygur reporting on it...

edit on 7/29/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by floppynoodleson666
reply to post by niceguybob

you spelled "you're" wrong. you are = you're . not your

crap. i forgot what this thread was about... Oh yeah;
politics are dumb.

Oh cool. Thanks. Yeah, What was the topic again? Oh, politics is/are dumb.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

F&S for the OP.

I've come to expect nothing less from the party of ignorance, lies & hypocrisy. The Republican party of old is dead and gone. The GOP has been taken over and this new right wing movement is currently being led by some of the most radical ideologues in american history. They have adopted a newfound acceptance for lies and willful ignorance at a level never before seen, so much so, that they now ooze with hypocrisy in their every move.

I would just sit back and laugh if it weren't so sickening.

new topics

top topics

join