It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The position of the sun has changed. I can see it.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

No, not dumb, just under the impression that your only sources were computer programs. You know: old data in, old data out...

edit on 29-7-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short

Looks like you've done your homework, and that's commendable. If what you say is true, however, what am I to make of what I've heard about airports having to shut down to re-do their navigational aids?

That has to do with change of position of the magnetical poles. They are not aligned with the actual north and south pole, so adjustments have to be made now and then.
Here you can see the changes over the years:

edit on 29-7-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
reply to post by juleol

No, not dumb, just under the impression that your only sources were computer programs. You know: old data in, old data out...

edit on 29-7-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

I am sorry for using that word. I am just bit short tempered with these threads, as they keep popping up again and again and most of the time people ignore such explanations.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by MamaJ

But then please explain why astronomy software still shows the sun being in correct place as well as the stars and planets.
Also explain why there is no change where I live. It is not possible for it to change only in localized areas.

Whats the correct place? Link please....

Also.... Stars and planets in correct place?? Link please....

Where are you getting your information? LINKS!!

You have not provided me much other than your opinion whereas ive already contributed good reads and information that.... I dont think you read.

Heres more reading for you... Im nice like that.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Okay. Right now the sun is right where it normally is at this time of day. Still overhead but pointed due west. Will see what happens later. If it stays where it is it will set due west as I have always remembered. That makes it even more odd that it set so far north on Friday. Again. it could be completely normal. Just never noticed it before, so it seems odd.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Nope just picked the current year to add on on as part of my screen name. But that wont let me know if it has changed from last year. It will only tell me it is continuing to change from this year to next.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Okay. Right now the sun is right where it normally is at this time of day. Still overhead but pointed due west. Will see what happens later. If it stays where it is it will set due west as I have always remembered. That makes it even more odd that it set so far north on Friday. Again. it could be completely normal. Just never noticed it before, so it seems odd.

Someone else had said something similar and described it as looking like the planet is wobbling. This would mean that sometimes the sun appears to be in the correct position and sometimes it is off. Same about the starts.

If that is true I have no idea how to figure that our or the math that would be involved. It may explain why when people use their old programmed telescopes to find starts everything is correct. You would have to look at the right time of the wobble.. I think???

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012
reply to post by dainoyfb

Unless someone knew this was going to happen in advance I don't think your software would be able to locate these positions accurately if something was up. I don't think that scenario is likely but it is possible. I never really rely on computers. I will have to find a good compass and check these things out myself.

Just one question from Liejunkie 01.

Are you related to this guy?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I find your writing style similar.

edit on 29-7-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

That would be the easiest way to figure out if something is wrong. Plus it would save me having to do all those pesky calculations....

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Anyway watching the sky again today... I will let everyone who is interested know what I see. I still have to get a compass. I was looking for my old one but couldn't find it. I also have to figure out how to take into account the fact that magnetic north and true north differ.

Anyone know off hand?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

No relation but thanks for the link. Reading some of his postings gave me goosebumbs. It looks like we have a lot of similarities in experiences. WE even chose similar screen names. weird...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

the sun is a lie hahah

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012
I also have to figure out how to take into account the fact that magnetic north and true north differ.

Anyone know off hand?

Any nearby airport will have magnetic declination for your area listed on their website.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Or you can go here
www.ngdc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by MamaJ

But then please explain why astronomy software still shows the sun being in correct place as well as the stars and planets.
Also explain why there is no change where I live. It is not possible for it to change only in localized areas.

Whats the correct place? Link please....

Also.... Stars and planets in correct place?? Link please....

Where are you getting your information? LINKS!!

You have not provided me much other than your opinion whereas ive already contributed good reads and information that.... I dont think you read.

Heres more reading for you... Im nice like that.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Just download stellarium and check for yourself then. Me and others here have already explained why it can be proven by using such software.
You have really no case at all. And axial precession is a cycle that last for THOUSANDS of years. Not something that will be visible to naked eye at all.
I know all about all those cycles as I have read up on the milankovich cycles in the past.
Here is the link for stellarium:
www.stellarium.org...

And again I ask since you ignored me earlier.. How come there has been no change here?? I live by the arctic circle where even small changes would amplified and very visible compared to on lower latitudes. If there was even a 3 degree shift then we would suddenly have midnight sun. If it changed by 1 or even half a degree then our summer nights would have become significantly brighter.
edit on 29-7-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

You are completely missing the point. Juleo is saying that all of the sky charts written years ago agree with where the sun and stars are now. If there was an unexpected change of the sun's or Earth's position then the old charts would not agree, but they do.

I'm sorry, I can't make it any simpler for you than that. If you can't understand this very simple concept then you really have no business debating it.

edit on 29-7-2012 by dainoyfb because: of typo.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Lazarus, that is a slightly different matter.

Airport runways are named for their approximate compass orientation. A runway that ran east to west would be called runway 09 or runway 27 depending upon which end you are approaching (090 degrees and 270 degrees, the last zero is dropped).

These designations are based upon magnetic compass headings, rather than true. The magnetic pole is some distance removed from the geographical pole and is in constant motion. Currently it is over northern Canada, in several thousand years it could be over russia. The US will see greater change in magnetic directions due to the proximity to the pole. Think about how the bearing to an object changes more quickly at closer distances.

Over time, that runwaymay need changing to 10/28.

I haven't researched it as such, it is part of my job. I'm a navigation officer on merchant ships. Part of my job is to take a gyro compass bearing of the sun in order to compare the result against the true bearing of the sun as found through published tables and calculations.

Most gyro compasses are normally within 1 degree of the calculation. On an ocean-going ship, this is checked every four hours and recorded in a logbook. Any larger difference is investigated as it means the compass is on the blink. A 10 degree change would be very quickly noticed by thousands of navigation officers across the world and advisories would be issued in a notice to mariners.

I hope you don't take that as a criticism, our memory plays many tricks on us. Despite all the technology in the modern world, professional navigators still make use of the ever reliable celestial sphere in order to do our jobs. If anything changes, we would be telling the world as it would throw all our calculations out.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Not that I believe the suns position has changed beyond normal seasonal movement, but here's more fuel for the fire.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Ok I have been watching the sun. I still dont have a compass. When I originally thought the sun seemed out of sorts I tried to keep track of landmarks. Nearby trees, buildings, etc. The sun seems to be approximately 10 degrees more southward than it was yesterday. Hmmm maybe the axis is wobbling or something. Or maybe something in the sky made the sun appear to have moved. It could have been something affected or changed my perception of its location.

I guess I have to keep watching.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesyleps

That seems quite logical. If there was a deviation I am sure many others would likely have noticed it. There have been a few people who seem to have noticed something as well. I also found a few and was shown other evidence that something is up although I do not know how reliable those sources are....

You would have to think if something was up wouldn't navigators of ships and planes be telling us all that something is going on?

But I still am gonna keep checking for myself. I am the only one I know who I can trust... Unless I make a mistake... LOL.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join