It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nation's Gun Laws: Helps or Hurts?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Here is my reply:batr.org...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
State lines apparently make worlds and worlds of difference. I was hurting in just reading what you have to go through in New York state. It's like a different nation from this region (outside Illinois).

Anyway.. Thanks for sharing op! It makes me feel very happy to live in Missouri. Oh, and for those who'd think our lax (by comparison) gun laws would lead to shootouts all over, the crime rate is comparable in the two major cities and low outside them as a general rule.

Amen - I say move to a State with better laws, I had some neat job offers (some more than 250k a year) in the DC area being a retired Field Grade Officer with a background in Special Operations and Military Intelligence; however, the restrictive gun laws in Maryland and DC were one of the reasons I chose not to take them.

I love Missouri - took me 1 day for the course, which was 75.00 and then 50.00 and 3 days for the finger prints to come back then same day they came back I had the paperwork to the DMV within 10 minutes to leaving the Sherriff's office.

We don't need the federal government involved in the regulation of firearms either with carry laws or type restrictions. What works in NY for them will not work here and vice versa. Hell, our county is so small I know all 5 of the Deputies by name as well as the Sherriff.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I believe there was a shooting not to long ago near you guys " on the other side of the pond" that happened in Norway, maybe you remember. Norway has stricter gun laws than the U.S. but that didn't stop him from killing all those people did it. Another shooting happened in Canada about a month ago at Toronto's Eaton Centre Mall, Canada's gun laws are stricter than here in the U.S. again didn't make a difference to the killer. I just don't get the u.k.'s obsession with U.S. gun laws, you guys have all the restrictions you could hope for, a perfect utopia.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
How I wished I lived in the UK, Canada, or anywhere else that has such a perfect peaceful society so that no one has to think twice about a violent act commited against them.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Singularity

I believe there was a shooting not to long ago near you guys " on the other side of the pond" that happened in Norway, maybe you remember. Norway has stricter gun laws than the U.S. but that didn't stop him from killing all those people did it. Another shooting happened in Canada about a month ago at Toronto's Eaton Centre Mall, Canada's gun laws are stricter than here in the U.S. again didn't make a difference to the killer. I just don't get the u.k.'s obsession with U.S. gun laws, you guys have all the restrictions you could hope for, a perfect utopia.

I think it's more a bafflement that these massacres keep happening again and again and nothing gets done. We've only had two major gun-related incidents in this country over the past 25 years, Hungerford and Dunblane. Both scarred the country and led to a tightening of the gun laws. Dunblane was in 1996 and we haven't had one since. That doesn't mean that we'll never have one again, but the odds have certainly been cut down. As for that lunatic narcissist in Norway, when someone's that crazy then it's always going to end badly. Can I also add that it was the only major gun-related atrocity in the modern history of Norway.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7

Here is my reply:batr.org...

Errrmmm.... Ok. That's a very worrying site. Seems to be a tad paranoid.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

All I am trying to point out is that inanimate objects are not the problem, people who wish to do harm to others is the real problem it doesn't matter where you live. Also the u.k. is about the size of Wisconsin, i.e you guys have a significantly smaller population than the U.S. less people = less crime. People do get beat to death and stabbed to death over there don't they? I don't wake up every morning in fear that my neighbor who owns a gun is going to shoot me in a uncontrolable blood rage. A violent crime is a violent crime doesn't matter what the PERSON used to commit the crime.

Does it make me a bad person that I enjoy shooting? Does it make you a bad person for having a different view than me? I was curious, have you ever fired a gun before? I belive you guys are still allowed .22 rifles am I correct? Anyway the problem before us is one of behavior and the mind not a piece of metal.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

All I am trying to point out is that inanimate objects are not the problem, people who wish to do harm to others is the real problem it doesn't matter where you live. Also the u.k. is about the size of Wisconsin, i.e you guys have a significantly smaller population than the U.S. less people = less crime. People do get beat to death and stabbed to death over there don't they? I don't wake up every morning in fear that my neighbor who owns a gun is going to shoot me in a uncontrolable blood rage. A violent crime is a violent crime doesn't matter what the PERSON used to commit the crime.

Does it make me a bad person that I enjoy shooting? Does it make you a bad person for having a different view than me? I was curious, have you ever fired a gun before? I belive you guys are still allowed .22 rifles am I correct? Anyway the problem before us is one of behavior and the mind not a piece of metal.

I have fired a gun, and it was great fun - I was in Tennessee visiting a mate of mine from university and his English girlfriend and I got a lesson in basic gun safety in a sunken lane near his parents house (in the process getting bitten to shreds by the bloody gnats there). I think we used a .22, a Colt and a python that damn near broke my wrist.
I think that it comes down to society here and in the USA. There's no doubt that you need guns in places - I've been to Idaho and been warned about the bears there, and the wolves in other places. There are genuine dangers in the US. But there aren't in the UK - we don't have bears here, or wolves and the nearest dangerous wildlife is the odd mangy fox or psychotic squirrel. There isn't therefore a perceived need for guns in this country outside the armed forces.
The best way that I can illustrate this is a simple anecdote. The first time I saw an armed British policeman I shuddered with a deep feeling of unease. It didn't look right and it didn't feel right. Armed Bobbies? No thanks. That's why we Brits find it deeply strange why there aren't more rules and regulations surrounding firearms - we judge things by our own experiences.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

I have fired a gun, and it was great fun - I was in Tennessee visiting a mate of mine from university and his English girlfriend and I got a lesson in basic gun safety in a sunken lane near his parents house (in the process getting bitten to shreds by the bloody gnats there). I think we used a .22, a Colt and a python that damn near broke my wrist.
I think that it comes down to society here and in the USA. There's no doubt that you need guns in places - I've been to Idaho and been warned about the bears there, and the wolves in other places. There are genuine dangers in the US. But there aren't in the UK - we don't have bears here, or wolves and the nearest dangerous wildlife is the odd mangy fox or psychotic squirrel. There isn't therefore a perceived need for guns in this country outside the armed forces.
The best way that I can illustrate this is a simple anecdote. The first time I saw an armed British policeman I shuddered with a deep feeling of unease. It didn't look right and it didn't feel right. Armed Bobbies? No thanks. That's why we Brits find it deeply strange why there aren't more rules and regulations surrounding firearms - we judge things by our own experiences. [/quote

Very cool I'm glad you had fun over here besides the gnats ruining the fun. I tend to agree that it comes down to the society you grew up in. We are all influenced by the surroundings we grow up in. I grew up shooting with my mom and dad, went hunting with my father and uncle so I have a heathly respect for firearms. In the U.S. each state has different rules and regulations. There are states that do have very restrictive laws like: Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, California, and Illinois if I remember right to name a few. In Massachusetts for example you have to go to the police station in your town, fill out a paper background check, get fingerprinted, pay a fee for the license, wait about 6 to 8 weeks and if every thing checks out you get your license. You are also restricted to 10 round magazines. But if for example you get a drunk driving conviction you lose you firearms license and get fined. I was also curious did the police over here give you the same feelings the armed bobbies over in the u.k? Anyway I hope you get to visit the U.S again and I am glad we got to converse in the manner we did.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
In Calif its easier to get a permit for explosives then a CCW.

there is no training before you buy explosives and they have no requirement that you even know how to use explosives.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Thank you for your opinion. I hope you haven't actually got a myopic perception but the facts seem to point to that very conclusion.
There is an air of hostility wafting out of Washington who seem to have forgotten who they work for.They are now paid by people who are decidedly not working for our best interests.How will far they go how much will they take?My assault weapons make a clear and blanket statement.
I also do not feel the need to accommodate crazy people,they are misaligned from common behavior.They are not my problem.So I'll keep my weapons and maintain them to fight what ever shows up if nothing happens at least my firearms are being controlled by a trained pro ,me.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
In Calif its easier to get a permit for explosives then a CCW.

there is no training before you buy explosives and they have no requirement that you even know how to use explosives.

So there is not even a written test on safety, rigging and transporting of the explosives? I remember the test being a bear having to know what placards to place on the vehicle where and what route clearances are required for what amounts. Actually, now that I think about it the test was all about the regulations and rules rather than the proper employment and use of each type...

I haven't bothered to get my State explosive permit because I have a federal explosives license courtesy of my military training - the standard for that was pretty stringent as I recall. I need to check and see when it expires - I think it’s every three years.

Do they at least have the requisite NACs and such? I think there was some kind of course (training requirement for the FEL but that was covered in the SF Engineer course as part of the curriculum.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Just wanted to clear up a common misconception. Contrary to what some ignorant canadians living in some scumhole city may say, canada and the united states have pretty similar gun laws. It varies province to province, and scumhole cities where everyone is getting raped and murdered and whatnot, is where the strict gun control presides for the most part.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join