It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you like to be blissfully wealthy or poor with your lover ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The OP has been on ATS twice since my last response... I guess I didn't specifically ASK for a response, so now I will.

Questions for the OP:

1. What is "pain and suffering" to you? Can you be specific as to the pain and suffering you're talking about? Is it worse than the pain and suffering of losing the only baby you'll ever be able to have? Is it worse than watching one's mother wither and die? Is it worse than having breast cancer and losing both breasts? Or chronic, daily pain? Please be specific.

2. Who will experience this pain and suffering? Just me? Or would my husband and child also experience it? BIG difference!

3. And as long as I'm asking questions that will probably not be answered, WHY do you ASSUME that the choice of being homeless with one's loved ones would be the selfish choice? Oh, never mind, I have answered my own question. You ASSUMED it was.

You asked a "trick question" and then got up on your high horse so you could cast shame on us for being selfish and dishonest... I can only wonder as to the motivation in doing such a thing...
I honestly cannot imagine purposely setting people up, only to shame them for this supposed "dishonesty"... It's just so weird.

By the way, I read my previous reply to my husband and he agreed 100%, except he hates it when people say, "I'm just sayin'" so he told me he didn't like that part, but the rest was completely right on. If he were still posting here, he'd tell you himself.
edit on 7/29/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I agree with BH. You left that opened to the member to interpret.

For instance, BH assumed you meant she would be in horrible suffering but not our loved ones. So she decided to stay with her loved one. Very noble in that she would accept pain for them.

As for me, I assumed we would all have horrible suffering and be riddled with disease, starvation, and poverty. If that is the case then there is no way I'd let my family go through that just so we would be together.

It's like if the nazis were breaking down my door to take us all to a concentration camp, would I want us to all be arrested and suffer just for the sake of being together or would I shove them into an escape spot knowing we'd never see each other again but they'd be safe? I'd do the latter.

Members interpreted you question differently so just be more clear next time.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The OP has been on ATS twice since my last response... I guess I didn't specifically ASK for a response, so now I will.

Questions for the OP:

1. What is "pain and suffering" to you? Can you be specific as to the pain and suffering you're talking about? Is it worse than the pain and suffering of losing the only baby you'll ever be able to have? Is it worse than watching one's mother wither and die? Is it worse than having breast cancer and losing both breasts? Or chronic, daily pain? Please be specific.

2. Who will experience this pain and suffering? Just me? Or would my husband and child also experience it? BIG difference!

3. And as long as I'm asking questions that will probably not be answered, WHY do you ASSUME that the choice of being homeless with one's loved ones would be the selfish choice? Oh, never mind, I have answered my own question. You ASSUMED it was.

You asked a "trick question" and then got up on your high horse so you could cast shame on us for being selfish and dishonest... I can only wonder as to the motivation in doing such a thing...
I honestly cannot imagine purposely setting people up, only to shame them for this supposed "dishonesty"... It's just so weird.

By the way, I read my previous reply to my husband and he agreed 100%, except he hates it when people say, "I'm just sayin'" so he told me he didn't like that part, but the rest was completely right on. If he were still posting here, he'd tell you himself.
edit on 7/29/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

1. Pain and Suffering: Meaning beyond the ATS users past and/or current experiences.
2. Does it really matter which group of atoms suffer?
3. Assumed is incorrect: All human actions are 100% selfish. Without your selfish-drive you wouldn't add value to the entities in your current state of existence.

My motives / plans are incomprehensible.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

Originally posted by Alyssa
1. Pain and Suffering: Meaning beyond the ATS users past and/or current experiences.

Personally, I could stand more pain than I have had. I can't believe how strong I am and how the pain I've experienced has shaped me to be the person I am. I am actually appreciative of the pain I've experienced as it has formed the person I am today and I really kind of like that person.

2. Does it really matter which group of atoms suffer?

Absolutely. It matters to me. Personally, I know I can handle the childhood sexual abuse that I've experienced, but to add something like that to my husband's or child's life experience? I couldn't choose that, and I may very well choose the other option.

All human actions are 100% selfish. Without your selfish-drive you wouldn't add value to the entities in your current state of existence.

I totally disagree. I DO have a selfish drive. Not denying that. Most things we do, we do for selfish reasons. But not 100%. If you're saying that you have never experienced what it's like to perform an act of selflessness, I'm really sorry.

My motives / plans are incomprehensible.

Agreed.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alyssa
So much dishonesty in this topic. A nice warm large home, Tons of food, Beautiful (or handsome) looks, you basically have a very relaxing life. By NOT picking choice (A) you people are being selfish. All of you went with (B) because it made YOU feel good.

Choice (A) was about natural logical comfort that had nothing to do with selfishness.
Choice (B) was about YOU picking it because YOU thought it was the right thing to do. YOU want to be with your loved one because it makes YOU feel good. If choice (B) didn't make YOU feel better most of you wouldn't have picked it. All your acts of warmth and kindness toward loved ones are pure selfishness based on how good it made YOU feel.

Personally, it would be pain and suffering for me to have to live a life of excess and never see my children again.

You don't know what pain and suffering are to everyone else. I feel pain every day of my life. I'd have a life of pain, regardless of which option I chose. I choose not to suffer, though. I would be as happy living on the streets as anywhere else - I choose to make the most of any situation.

There is no choice. Family > Money.

Not a choice.

You don't know what's going on in other people's lives. Money isn't everything. It's absurd that you are implying that people who would choose to feel pain and suffering if it meant they'd always be around their loved ones are being selfish.

Not to mention the fact that if one were to choose to live a life of excess rich, having abandoned all one's family members, it is likely any of those family members depending on the choice-maker would become homeless and thus suffer greatly due to the choice to run away and be wealthy.

Selfish? Think about it. Choice A is all selfishness - screw everyone else, you get whatever you want. Choice B is only partially selfish - care about loved ones and work together to get what you need.
edit on 7/29/12 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

So much dishonesty in this topic

I'm not going to defend my choice, but I will tell you that it was not made flippantly, nor without consideration. I will only add that both m'Bride and me are most comfortable in well-worn boots that have seen some miles.

peace.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join