It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sees Israel, tight Mideast ally, as spy threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

US sees Israel, tight Mideast ally, as spy threat

hosted.ap.org...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The CIA station chief opened the locked box containing the sensitive equipment he used from his home in Tel Aviv, Israel, to communicate with CIA headquarters in Virginia, only to find that someone had tampered with it. He sent word to his superiors about the break-in.

The incident, described by three former senior U.S. intelligence officials, might have been dismissed as just another cloak-and-dagger incident in the world of international espionage, except that the same thing had happened to the previous station chief in Israel.

It was a not-so-subtle reminder that, even in a country friendly to the United States, the CIA was itself being watched.

My favorite parts,

In a separate episode, according to another two former U.S. officials, a CIA officer in Israel came home to find the food in the refrigerator had been rearranged. In all the cases, the U.S. government believes Israel's security services were responsible.

&

In addition to what the former U.S. officials described as intrusions in homes in the past decade, Israel has been implicated in U.S. criminal espionage cases and disciplinary proceedings against CIA officers and blamed in the presumed death of an important spy in Syria for the CIA during the administration of President George W. Bush.

&

The CIA considers Israel its No. 1 counterintelligence threat in the agency's Near East Division, the group that oversees spying across the Middle East, according to current and former officials. Counterintelligence is the art of protecting national secrets from spies. This means the CIA believes that U.S. national secrets are safer from other Middle Eastern governments than from Israel.

How rude, to break in and snoop through an allies spy things! The USA is Israel's #1 fan!

Yet, in their own house, they are spying on their guests. I suppose the spy world is naturally without trust, but at least have the common decency to make it look like no one broke in. These are either the bench warmers or is Israels intel community is sending the CIA a message? From the looks of it, my guess, they're sending a message. Ouch Israel, not cool man. But forgive and forget, besides, the US spies on Israel too, and according to the article has been spying on Israel before Israel became Israel

The National Security Agency historically has kept tabs on Israel. The U.S., for instance, does not want to be caught off guard if Israel launches a surprise attack that could plunge the region into war and jeopardize oil supplies, putting American soldiers at risk.

Matthew Aid, the author of "The Secret Sentry," about the NSA, said the U.S. started spying on Israel even before the state was created in 1948. Aid said the U.S. had a station on Cyprus dedicated to spying on Israel until 1974. Today, teams of Hebrew linguists are stationed at Fort Meade, Md., at the NSA, listening to intercepts of Israeli communications, he said.

edit on 28-7-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
doesn't the cia believe in cctv. a little camera pointed at the front door activated by a motion detector could instantly let you know if you've broken into and by whom.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
doesn't the cia believe in cctv. a little camera pointed at the front door activated by a motion detector could instantly let you know if you've broken into and by whom.

I'm sure spies have some kind of electronic scanner.
edit on 28-7-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
So let me get this straight.. spies who are spying with other spies on other spies are spying on the other spy spying on another spy?..

Sounds so stupid, this is the state of the world with live in.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
So let me get this straight.. spies who are spying with other spies on other spies are spying on the other spy spying on another spy?..

Sounds so stupid, this is the state of the world with live in.

This is how it has been done throughout history. Spying has always been an incestuous, tangled and confused business. A good spy trusts absolutely no one and believes absolutely nothing.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Pasted from OP link, apparently it goes both ways:

The National Security Agency historically has kept tabs on Israel. The U.S., for instance, does not want to be caught off guard if Israel launches a surprise attack that could plunge the region into war and jeopardize oil supplies, putting American soldiers at risk. Matthew Aid, the author of "The Secret Sentry," about the NSA, said the U.S. started spying on Israel even before the state was created in 1948. Aid said the U.S. had a station on Cyprus dedicated to spying on Israel until 1974. Today, teams of Hebrew linguists are stationed at Fort Meade, Md., at the NSA, listening to intercepts of Israeli communications, he said.

Style points for the guy that rearranged the refrigerator

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
There's not a leader, politician or embassy anywhere in the world that is not wired up for Israeli spy devices and I'm sure the CIA has also double dipped and put in their own.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Here's the thing...one never knows what the Company has in it's plans. Although not perfect...when the Company makes a mistake...that Mistake is ALWAYS SUSPECT as people of this level rarely make mistakes and if they do...it is almost impossible to tell if they actually screwed up or were playing the field.

Does anyone actually thinks a CIA Station Chief actually reports and activity by Israel and this is made public for NO REASON?!? THERE IS ALWAYS A REASON! The real game is in DISINFORMATION as to have the other side so confused by conflicting bits of information they have no line of logic to make a viable determination on what is actually GOING ON!

Israel and the CIA could be working together on this as to put out a perception of a rift between the Company and the Israeli Government. Or this could be real. Or this could be half real. They have done their job...confuse the HELL out of the Enemy! Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Yeh, If this was true they'd go to great lengths to keep it quite, though Mossad's standards have been slipping lately. Maybe they've got food police making sure kosher and non kosher food were kept separately.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I've always believed the CIA (a collective of different organisations both domestic and foreign) have their good guys and their bad guys. I probably could also say the same for the "Illuminati", Military, Police etc.

Disinformation......and also blackmail. But some where within those organisations there ARE some good men and women working for the greater good.

Just my view.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I've always believed the CIA (a collective of different organisations both domestic and foreign) have their good guys and their bad guys. I probably could also say the same for the "Illuminati", Military, Police etc.

Disinformation......and also blackmail. But some where within those organisations there ARE some good men and women working for the greater good.

Just my view.

This is true. There are people who have worked for the Company and given their all...and besides a STAR on a WALL...that will be the only recognition for paying and sacrificing with their life...things that have made us all safer and no one will ever know the what, whens and whys of these things.

These people on the Majority are TRUE PATRIOTS and the work for one Big Picture Goal...Keeping things in a state of STABILITY as without this balance...everything soon goes to HELL very quickly. Many times when things get leaked...you only hear about the Bad things never knowing what Good was accomplished even from the Bad. You cannot look at the Companies actions from one or two examples as they do not operate that way. They work in a complex methodology to use leverage to accomplish goals that in an of themselves those goals show very little...but when put into the Big Picture...they add up to EVERYTHING. Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
not surprising there. If the CIA came clean to the US government about what it knows Mosad has done, it would be asked to carry out an all out war on them for acts of war against us.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ
not surprising there. If the CIA came clean to the US government about what it knows Mosad has done, it would be asked to carry out an all out war on them for acts of war against us.

Even though Mosad has done a few things that piss of the Company...believe me...Mosad knows who butters it's bread! Right now...MOSAD is throwing a Temper Tantrum as they want to Fly into Iran and take out their Nuclear Facilities. The U.S. has told them...THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE THEY ALLOWED TO DO SO!

The Company has a PLAN on how to handle IRAN and it is a GOOD PLAN! Patience is the KEY! Just a little patience can achieve more than any amount of Bombing EVER could in THIS circumstance.
Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

join