It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor passing under satelites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Why cant I find a bit of information about the meteor passing under the satelites on earth ofcourse that was announced on the news somwhere in america I dunno I just saw the clip on youtube.

Does anyone know about this??

And I quote the anchor by saying "It wouldnt be a bad idea to get your affairs in order."
edit on 16.03.2011 by kera1337 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Could you post the youtube link please. Hard for anyone to help you out unless they know what you are talking about.

I will help you if I can when I see the link.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If he used the word meteor then he is referring to something about the size of a average sized rock, you will see it burn up in atmosphere because of the extreme heat. Meteors are much smaller than asteroids, so if there was any concern at all he would have used the word "Asteroid". So unless you are afraid of small rocks and dust you shouldn't lose any sleep over this.

Also keep in mind the Asteroid that killed the dinosaurs is suspected to have been 10 miles in diameter.

link   
At work now just a quick look and this

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Close but not to bad

Ok coffe break time

If want to kmow what will happen ******** IF it hit here
www.purdue.edu...

edit on 28-7-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

link   
Get our affairs in order? I think it's more likely a talking head needs to get his Resume in order if that kind of talk keeps up. lol..... Spaceweather has what I think you are hearing about and it sounds real neat, actually.

The green orbits correspond to Comet 96P/Machholz, source of the annual delta Aquarid meteor shower. Although this is a minor shower, it is fraught with interest. Some researchers believe that 96P/Machholz came from another star system. Every delta Aquarid that disintegrates in the night sky could be depositing material from across the galaxy into Earth's upper atmosphere.

Forecasters expect as many as 15 delta Aquarids per hour when the shower peaks on July 28th and 29th. The best time to look, no matter where you live, is during the dark hours before sunrise on Saturday and Sunday when the moon has set and the constellation Aquarius is relatively high in the sky.
Space Weather

Imagine that...The shooting stars could be carrying matter from some distant star system. This whole topic is just exciting to consider sometimes. I hope the view is clear tonight.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I really can't make out what he wants to say, but i THINK he is referring to this "near collission" with some recent asteroid/deep space object which was only detected in the last minute.

That's how i interpret his phrase "passing under the satellites of Earth" - meaning it wasn't detected by the "satellites" until it was very close.

There was such an event not long ago, i think shortly after the Elenin hype.

Edit: Maybe this one? www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 28-7-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Do we know which part of the world would be able to see it?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
They say it is about 45 meters wide and will pass less than 35,000 kilometers from Earth.

So what does that mean?

Anyone out there that can translate this?

How close of a call could it be?

What is the margin of error on these things?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The asteroid will not impact the Earth on February 15, 2013.[4] As of May 1, 2012, the odds of impact on 2020-Feb-16 are 1 in 37,037,000.[1] There is an estimated cumulative 0.031% risk (1 in 3,230) of 2012 DA14 impacting Earth sometime between 2020 and 2082.[1] It is rated a low −3.19 on the Palermo Scale.[5] (The risk is less than one thousandth of the estimated risk of another similarly sized near earth asteroid hitting the Earth during that time period.[6] It is estimated that there are more than a million near-Earth asteroids smaller than 100 meters.)[7] It rates 0 (No Hazard) on the Torino scale.[1] If it were to strike the Earth, it is estimated that it would produce the equivalent of 2.4 megatons of TNT.[1] The Tunguska event has been estimated at 3−20 megatons.[8] On February 15, 2013, DA14 will pass no closer than 0.000181 AU (27,100 km; 16,800 mi) from the center-point of the Earth,[9] which is no closer to the Earth's surface than 3.2 Earth radii.[4] The nominal pass will be 0.00023 AU (34,000 km; 21,000 mi) from the center-point of the Earth.[9] This is potentially closer than satellites in geosynchronous orbit. The asteroid will not be visible to the naked eye.[4] Due to the uncertainty in the observation arc of 79 days, there is a small possibility that the asteroid will pass 0.00035 AU (52,000 km; 33,000 mi) from the Earth on February 15, 2013.[9]

en.wikipedia.org...

Asteroid 2012 DA14 Won't Hit Earth, NASA Says, But Don't Rule Out Satellites (VIDEO)

www.huffingtonpost.com...

This is what I found.
edit on 28-7-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
They say it is about 45 meters wide and will pass less than 35,000 kilometers from Earth.
How close of a call could it be?

I have no idea how exactly close. But i thought i'd guess just to help get a little visual.
^My Guess^

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

This you tube video of NASA's tracking program looks like it shows it impacting on 2/15/2013, see what you think...I haven't checked the NASA website to see if it has changed.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

This is the [email protected] is the article

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Anishnaabe

Thanks for the pic....it equates to coming within 14,000 miles give or take...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Just remember, you can't trust any of the current info on it once the initial report or announcement was given, they would probably wipe the info or alter it and have numerous unlawful legislations under the sleeves for doing this, and seizing all the media and information online.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
So we have some saying it we only come within .00023au and NASA tracking saying 6.0e-4au ???

Will it or won't it??

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Before this gets too wild, and now that we seem to have settled on an object (The OP was a little hard to figure on that?) I figured I'd satisfy my own curiosity and run an impact simulation.

I ran this as a 45km object made of iron at a 90 degree entry angle and coming at the maximum velocity possible in the simulation, 72 kilometers per second. Basically, the worst possible everything for a 45km object. My point in the simulation is 25 kilometers away. Here is what happens, according to the sim.

Crater:

Crater shape is normal in spite of atmospheric crushing; fragments are not significantly dispersed.
Transient Crater Diameter: 2.29 km ( = 1.42 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 809 meters ( = 2650 feet )
Final Crater Diameter: 2.86 km ( = 1.77 miles )
Final Crater Depth: 608 meters ( = 2000 feet )
The crater formed is a simple crater.
The floor of the crater is underlain by a lens of broken rock debris (breccia) with a maximum thickness of 282 meters ( = 925 feet ).
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 0.0037 km^3 ( = 0.000888 miles^3 )
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater

Airblast:

The air blast will arrive approximately 1.26 minutes after impact.
Peak Overpressure: 23500 Pa = 0.235 bars = 3.34 psi
Max wind velocity: 50.6 m/s = 113 mph
Sound Intensity: 87 dB (Loud as heavy traffic)

Damage Description:
Interior partitions of wood frame buildings will be blown down. Roof will be severely damaged.
Glass windows will shatter.
About 30 percent of trees blown down; remainder have some branches and leaves blown off.

So, absolute worst case? I wouldn't want to be directly under it but that is about where someone needs to be in getting hurt. That, again, assumes every variable is the worst imaginable.

Purdue - Earth Impact Simulator

*Meters vs. Kilometers is a giant difference, of course. Diameter means everything. Again, this is nightmare upon nightmare for what a 45 Kilometer, not meter object would do. It's kinda overkill....but the point is clear. Nothing about it can ever be a threat, on any level.
Next date? Apophis!

edit on 28-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wow...you lost me after the first line...

From what I saw online it would be close to Tunguska.

an estimated mass of about 120,000 metric tons

If it were to strike the Earth, it is estimated that it would produce the equivalent of 2.4 megatons of TNT.[1] The Tunguska event has been estimated at 3−20 megatons.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

errr........ Check the note I added...It hit me, people might not have noticed the change in M to km in making the overkill estimate and nightmare example.

Additionally, I'm coming at this from a couple months of living Elenin and it's little buddies in Aug and Sept. By comparison to what none of those ever became, this is a cosmic pebble which I'd be shocked even made it to the surface given the real size..... I dunno... I didn't bother trying 44 Meter, as the literal measurement seems to be. We get man made junk occasionally come back down with more threat.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Just remember, you can't trust any of the current info on it once the initial report or announcement was given, they would probably wipe the info or alter it and have numerous unlawful legislations under the sleeves for doing this, and seizing all the media and information online.

Just like you couldn't trust any of the Elenin info, which, surprise surprise, turned out to be factually correct?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh no...were you thinking km?? Oh my goodness that;s scary!!

Yeah only about 150ft. Itsy bitsy....

Alot of weight though.
edit on 28-7-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join