It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I despise trendy new-age hippies.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by johnnysixguns

I do not hate new-agers, but I kinda have difficulties dealing with them. Their beliefs often lacks logic. Some of them use old, out-of-date quantum concepts to "prove" their believes right, even though you keep telling them: Mate, I studied physics and I can tell you you don't get it.
I like vegetarism, though.
Great quote about the dihydrogen monoxide, BTW. I love that joke each time I hear it...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
We were right!

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsNotReality
OP is a lonely sad muppet who needs to rant about his feeings towards other people on an internet forum to feel good about himself, pathetic
how's that low self-esteem and feeling you have to conform working out for you?

I'll try again, without sounding like you;

You need to have a good talk sometime with some of the people you despise, generally they are the nicest you will ever meet because they don't give a # about what other people think, which makes them REAL, as in, they tell you how it is, instead of putting up a mask like 90% of the western population. Hate me all you want, at least I don't pretend to be someone I'm not. It's a freakin sad thing when the few legit, honest people left out there are hated by many for no goddamn reason. And if you do believe you have reasons I'm sure you're dealing with a hypocrit.
edit on 28/7/12 by ThisIsNotReality because: (no reason given)

While I can appreciate your psychobabble, let say you are correct. Ok, doesn't change the fact that you're kind of doing the same thing.

I have talked to those people. Saw them day in and day out for years. You ate at my restaurant. I directly handled their food. No, they are not the wholesome people you'd like to say they are, which you are proving by calling 90% of the western population fake, and doing internet psycho-analysis on me. They obviously do care what others think, otherwise they wouldn't be doing the things that made me start this rant in the first place.

Next.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnnysixguns
reply to post by Trolloks

I am generally open-minded, but after a while, you realize they aren't even personality-types. They are just playing a character.

I totally get what you are saying. I feel uneasy when I'm around those crowds. The groups who flow with the trend of what the next 'positive' change should be. I find it strange and very skin deep.

For example, I know some people who go around saying how media trends influence the silly masses, and don't find the irony when they ditch being vegetarian and move on to only using public transport... because its so much more important. They then come up with a defensive, and obviously 'superior' logic in order to explain why you should be doing that as well.

They are completely missing the point in my opinion. Change can be internalized, and doesn't need to be falsely collected or displayed.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Your ego feels inadequate when interacting with these "new-age hippies." You put a label on a stratified sample of people who probably are very different from one another. Truth is, I worked at an organic food market called Dr. B Well; yeah the customers were a lot pickier than when I worked for Starbucks, but it's because they truly care what they put into their bodies. Before you say you "hate" someone or some group, look in the mirror and see how it feels to wish hate upon a person place or thing.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Vegetarians are fine by me. Vegans will get a strange look. I think the fact that we have incisors is a good argument that we came equipped to eat meat.

And no.. I don't hate these people. I despise them, but in a way that I gladly ignore most of the time. But when I see a forum called "Rant", I know I have a forum to voice that thought.

Like I said, any of those things listed in my OP are fine. But when you put them together in a character type, I have a big issue.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
loooooooool those hippie sweaters are so horribly ugly. I don't get them at all.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnnysixguns
reply to post by Infi8nity

That is true. I try not to do that either. The most fashionable thing I ever buy "character" wise, is shoes. I am particular about my footwear. Other than that, I buy the cheapest jeans I can (whether name brand or not) and wear them until they are one large hole. I also have a heavy rotation of plain grey, black, or white t-shirts that I wear for every event and occasion.

No, I'm not broke. I just don't allow myself to be pigeon-holed into something. A new-age hippies fit squarely into a niche.

I have eaten tons of free-range and organic food, and while it was good, I also saw a lot of people doing it out of status and a feeling of superiority. I don't know where you all live, but there is a cheap-priced grocery store where I live called Aldi that sells tons of things that are made with little ingredients. None are organic. I could really care less about the organic or free-range moniker.

People should probably concern themselves with less organic and free-range items and more with the amount of refined sugars that are in them, because that is a more direct and faster way to wreck your health. And you can have tons of food items without refined sugars that still aren't organic or free-range.

I know people like the ones you are describing. My city is hipster central most of them are egotistical people. They act out of fear "what will they think of me if..." Most of us act out of fear, we are a product of fear because its easier to control a person in fear. But at least these people are trying and spreading awareness. They probably contribute more to this movement then most of the people on this site do.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

I don't expect tons of people to agree with me, or even like me, and I don't take offense that they don't. If I am bested in my beliefs or opinions, it is because I didn't make myself knowledgeable enough.

I didn't start out despising them. I just naturally grew into it based on what I saw of them.

I don't believe they are that much different, because the people I am ranting against generally are in the new-age hippy uniform. If they weren't, I would have no outward basis for my assumption. They could be all of those things, except wearing American Eagle clothes, and I would be none the wiser.

To say I am concerned for my own ego in terms of dealing with them.. well, ok.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I think the flier-waving ones are at best attention-seeking social terrorists.

The rest I have encountered lumped themselves together in organic restaurants and talked about their social superiority amongst themselves.

I also don't like hipsters. Or PETA.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Take it with a grain of salt, your thoughts are very powerful. Wishing hate or negativity only subtracts from your well being buddy...And I'm that "exception" of new age hippies wearing the American Eagle, goes to a great university, and doesn't smell like top soil. Just because most Americans pile themselves up with processed and genetically modified food, have ph levels lower than 4.5, believe what their governments tell them, doesn't mean I hate them or wish to micromanage their lifestyles....I just wish them the best in their lifetimes. Yes, your ego needs some love and nurturing.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

Great quote about the dihydrogen monoxide, BTW. I love that joke each time I hear it...

That is what I mean. People see a scary chemical name, have no idea what it is, and automatically jump to ban it.

I would say buster googled it, found one of the joke sites, and then tried to make a case that it should definitely be banned based off of what he read.

I mean, he hasn't contributed since, so what else is there to assume?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The words "Hippie" "New Age" arent the problem. You said it in your thread title.

"Trendy" says it all. Its the "trend-ers" who do it because its fasionable or the thing they want people to view them as being a part of....

Reminds me of a friend who was a vegetarian and PETA supporter along with a "Save the Whale-Baby Seals' club....and she wore alligator shoes.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19

Your ego feels inadequate when interacting with these "new-age hippies." You put a label on a stratified sample of people who probably are very different from one another. Truth is, I worked at an organic food market called Dr. B Well; yeah the customers were a lot pickier than when I worked for Starbucks, but it's because they truly care what they put into their bodies. Before you say you "hate" someone or some group, look in the mirror and see how it feels to wish hate upon a person place or thing.

I agree with you. I do not think its a bad thing that people want to know what they are eating especially when Governments are sighing on to action plans like agenda 21. Every one is different just as every one has a different face and body. But all of us still have at the very least one thing in common, we are human. We all fear and most of us act on that fear. Weather its fear of what some one will think of us or its fear of what is in our food.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19
Take it with a grain of salt, your thoughts are very powerful. Wishing hate or negativity only subtracts from your well being buddy..
[snip]
...Yes, your ego needs some love and nurturing.

Even though you weren't replying to me, I'm quite confused by your post.
One can make observations without passing judgement, whereas your post ended up with you creating a distinct division between you and the OP

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I don't wish hate or negativity on them. I despise them as a character-type, much as girls of my generation have turned to calling everything "fabulous" because of a stupid show about tired-looking middle-aged women. I do wish they would just act like normal, relevant people to make their points rather than attention-seeking buffoons.

And reading your description of yourself, I wouldn't take any issue with your GMO stance, because you wouldn't strike me as a trendy new-age hippie. In which case I would point out that we can agree to disagree, and still get along just the same for it.

Processed food? I have issue with. GMO food? No, I don't. Sure, we can use less pesticides. They also lose nutritional value because they are ripened 'off-the-vine' for the sake of transport. But just the fact that we have a booming world population and shortage of food in countries is where I will always rest my sword in favor of GMO. You can grow a ridiculous amount more GMO food in 1 acre of land than you can organic. So its not even as economically feasible.

And I have tons of respect for people who take their argument, stop crying, and grow their own food. That is taking more initiative and doing more for their cause than I believe a flier or boycott is going to do.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by adrift

I take responsibility for all human beings alike, because we're all in this life together. But when an ego wishes to feel separate and hateful towards any percentage of humans, they need some love and positive reinforcement

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Thank you for clearing it up. I understand what you mean, and like the way you look at it

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This can be said about any category of people, especially when it is related to a job. I worked at a liquor store and before that retail and that saying, "I use to like people, but people ruined that for me" holds true. Not at first mind you it took years of nonsensical, disrespectful interaction. People come in complaining how they need to stop smoking and stop drinking yet they keep wasting money they don't have on the stuff. Even if their cards get declined they say ummm get me the smaller bottle and try, literally willing to spend their last cents. Or mothers literally leaving their small children in the kids section as if the clothes and shoes are babysitters then get scared when they come back and realize they didnt stay put and have the store intercom to the employees to help find them. This is a condensed version of the rant I could make. Point being its freedom of choice and I actually appreciate people trying to make better decisions for themselves and environment even if it is an attempt to fit in or as you say a character. Would rather have more that care than those that do not.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

So its more important to have the government putting that "USDA Organic" sticker on a product than just reading the label yourself?

Labeling and Marketing

Health benefits outweigh risks

Not as green as you think
edit on 28-7-2012 by johnnysixguns because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join