It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I despise trendy new-age hippies.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I despise trendy, new-age hippies.

No, I'm not talking about people who buy locally, or grow organically. I'm talking about the types who would sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide, just because someone shoved the clipboard in their face.

I'm talking about hypocritical, egotistical, whiny, "Everyone in the world needs to have a canvas bag for their groceries while I shove this flier in their face" types.

The type who are against genetically altering produce so that it yields more, just because its "unnatural", nevermind the hunger that goes on around the world. The type who think anything irradiated will cause you to get cancer and damage your chromosomes.

These people can generally be spotted by their "original" tattoos consisting of flowers, farm animals, and pop-art iconography. The 00 gauges in their ears and the cute nose ring, set to accentuate the obnoxious "hand-woven" sweater that cost $38.

Generally under-weight, their lanky frames and Buddy Holly glasses, the aura of "green" that radiates from their presence, you get the sense you're being accosted by Gumby. An anorexic-Hulk.

They generally will not eat meat, sticking to the "nuts, fruits, leaves, and roots" ideology. If you eat a burger, you're accosted. They will pay high dollar for organic coffee while they whine and ridicule you over the damage Foldgers is doing to the rainforest.

I could go on and on.

If you think someone should round all these people up, coat them in vegetable oil, and let them swim in plastic bags, we probably think the same.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Just think of all the poor trees that get cut down every year to make the paper for all those petitions they make

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
So the OP is defending genetically modified foods because "hippies" dont like it? Perhaps the OP needs to squelch his or her rage and find the truths that not only "hippies" believe. You may have your own dispositions against people, but do not generalize people into categories and labels. You are falling into the same trap that this government wants you to fall, divide and conquer. The truth is, GMO foods are bad for your health, and bad for the environment. To say that you despise a group of people shows me that you have a long way to go before finding happiness and peace of mind.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

I worked in an organic restaurant for a long time, and these types were always in there. After the nitpicking over every ingredient in the food, I got tired of it.

I am generally open-minded, but after a while, you realize they aren't even personality-types. They are just playing a character.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by johnnysixguns

it's Ok, Mr. 6 Guns... the Hippies Love you anyway, despite your cantankerous rancor.

peace.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by chadderson

I am generally happy. My peace of mind is ok, imo.

And no, you picked out 1 piece of text in my little diatribe. Do I have a problem with GMO food? No. Do I have a problem with people who do? Generally, no. As long as they don't fall into the rest of the that long list.

The organic food phenomenon is just as big of a cash cow as any other business. They are making money off of fear.

I see a bigger problem when starving nations are turning away GMO food because of the blathering of some people.. like trendy new-age hippies.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
We haven't seen anything yet; just wait till the kids that were born with facebook pages become “trendy”.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by johnnysixguns

I despise stereotypical categorization.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnnysixguns

I am generally happy. My peace of mind is ok, imo.

And no, you picked out 1 piece of text in my little diatribe. Do I have a problem with GMO food? No. Do I have a problem with people who do? Generally, no. As long as they don't fall into the rest of the that long list.

The organic food phenomenon is just as big of a cash cow as any other business. They are making money off of fear.

I see a bigger problem when starving nations are turning away GMO food because of the blathering of some people.. like trendy new-age hippies.

If you do not have a problem with it, do not bash the folks that do have a problem with it. There are reasons folks do not eat american meats, because they are laced with hormones that change your internal structure for the worse. There are reasons people do not want GMO crops because they destroy the ecosystem and also the human cells on the microRNA level. To say that you BASH "hippies" because some know what they are talking about, while others are merely following intuition without actually knowing the truth.... you are saying that being pointed in the right direction is a bad thing.

Lose the hate bro. Lose it. If you feel the need to question some of the folks that are "following" without knowing, then QUESTION THEM. Is that too hard to do to obtain peace of mind? Who said life is easy??
edit on 28-7-2012 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
People dont buy GMO's because their are study's witch prove they are bad for you intestine and can cause infertility after generations. I do not know how trust worthy those study's are, but I think its suspicious that the FDA has approved crops with out testing them because Monsanto's loby's in the FDA. The FDA "trust" Monsanto's own test.
I do not eat GMO's because they are trying to take over the farming industry. They are patenting plants, with the crazy world we live in we could one day wake up to illegal fruits and vegetables because they are not patented.
edit on 28-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I think a defined a category pretty well.

Do I take issue with anything of those things separately, or on an individual basis? Nope.

Do I take issue with them, when as I stated, they are no longer a personality but a character that falls in line with a trend? Yes. Yes I do.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnnysixguns
reply to post by Trolloks

I worked in an organic restaurant for a long time, and these types were always in there. After the nitpicking over every ingredient in the food, I got tired of it.

I am generally open-minded, but after a while, you realize they aren't even personality-types. They are just playing a character.

I agree %100 with this comment BUT you might as well fell the same way about the entire US because most of us play character's. If you watch TV YOU are conditioned to play these characters.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Old, but still valid.news.bbc.co.uk...

I have questioned these people. The owner of our restaurant would host conspiracy movie nights, where tons of these people would come in, and everyone would talk afterward. It was half headache, half chest thumping to debate with them, but you got a smile when they were at a loss for words.

Meat being full of hormones and steroids? Yeah. I also don't eat much store-bought meat, because I hunt. I have had a freezer full of deer meat since November. Am I going to turn down a steak, though? No.

Also, I would like to see some literature on your destruction at the RNA level.

As I stated, these are my feeling towards a character type, which I clearly defined. I can only assume that your stance is because you fit neatly in that type.

Also, this is the 'rant' section, so I believe this is squarely at home here. I could just as easily say "If you don't like it, don't read it", as so many of the more outrageous conspiracy people do.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Anyone with half a brain would want to ban dihydrogen monoxide. And sometimes you have to act a little crazy to wake the sheep up.

dihydrogen monoxide

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You can blame government for the hunger in this world, then you can blame all of America for wasting food especially Canada. We really don't need to go modifying life because as far as I know, it's not for us but to rather claim the seeds as their own creations just to starve us even more. GMO is not the answer, never will. We love what we got right now, we just have dumb governments telling us we can't grow gardens or drink raw milk. But we can't really blame them, the ignorant people we can though, you know those who cry "but raw milk may kill you" or "marijuana is bad for us" never to research in to hemp and it's amazing benefits that would literally knock out many industries.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

That is true. I try not to do that either. The most fashionable thing I ever buy "character" wise, is shoes. I am particular about my footwear. Other than that, I buy the cheapest jeans I can (whether name brand or not) and wear them until they are one large hole. I also have a heavy rotation of plain grey, black, or white t-shirts that I wear for every event and occasion.

No, I'm not broke. I just don't allow myself to be pigeon-holed into something. A new-age hippies fit squarely into a niche.

I have eaten tons of free-range and organic food, and while it was good, I also saw a lot of people doing it out of status and a feeling of superiority. I don't know where you all live, but there is a cheap-priced grocery store where I live called Aldi that sells tons of things that are made with little ingredients. None are organic. I could really care less about the organic or free-range moniker.

People should probably concern themselves with less organic and free-range items and more with the amount of refined sugars that are in them, because that is a more direct and faster way to wreck your health. And you can have tons of food items without refined sugars that still aren't organic or free-range.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Dihydrogen Monoxide is water.

Dihydrogen = 2H

Monoxide -1 O

h20.

I put that there intentionally, because you would be signing that petition.

Water is the universal solvent, it is in everything. And all those things you listed are 100% true.

Lets ban water now.

edit on 28-7-2012 by johnnysixguns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
OP is a lonely sad muppet who needs to rant about his feeings towards other people on an internet forum to feel good about himself, pathetic
how's that low self-esteem and feeling you have to conform working out for you?

I'll try again, without sounding like you;

You need to have a good talk sometime with some of the people you despise, generally they are the nicest you will ever meet because they don't give a # about what other people think, which makes them REAL, as in, they tell you how it is, instead of putting up a mask like 90% of the western population. Hate me all you want, at least I don't pretend to be someone I'm not. It's a freakin sad thing when the few legit, honest people left out there are hated by many for no goddamn reason. And if you do believe you have reasons I'm sure you're dealing with a hypocrit.
edit on 28/7/12 by ThisIsNotReality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join