It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish unemployment hits record high 24.6 percent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Spanish unemployment hits record high 24.6 percent

SFGate.com

MADRID (AP) — The number of people unemployed in Spain hit a record high, official figures showed Friday, as the International Monetary Fund urged European leaders to quickly fulfill their promises to help the country and the 17-country eurozone.

The recession-hit country's unemployment rate rose to 24.63 percent in the second quarter, up 0.19 percentage points from the previous three months, the National Statistics Institute said. The rate is the highest in the eurozone and is worse than Spain's previous record of 24.55 percent hit in 1994, according to the country's Labor Force Survey.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i just saw this on the news , how do all those people manage?

but i think the most part of the unemployed are students, young adults

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This can't last much longer. With the Greek departure from the Euro seeming imminent and 1 in 4 Spaniards out of work.

And yet the Dow closes over 13,000 Friday on 'good news out of europe':

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- U.S. stocks rallied Friday on hopes that central banks in Europe and the United States will take steps to support the economy.

money.cnn.com

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
One have to take into consideration that Spain have close to 40% real unemplyment.

It is SUMMER, where are the season jobs, in constructions, agriculture and tourism ? If Spain have THIS HIGH unemplyment in the summer, as a country who LIVES from tourism, a country with HUGE lands...imagine the winter...if there will be any EU zone left standing until the winter.

Unrelated somehow.In my country, Romania, the EU zone sentiment had dropped A LOT, especially because Merkel and Barosso and Reding are SUPPORTING the suspended president against a coalition that have 70% popular support.

The coalition WAS centrist (one left and 2 right wing parties in it).The nationalist discourse is higher and higher everyday...I think that atm, about 90% of romanians would prefer that our country to leave EU zone.It is not like is there really any point in being slaves to Germany.

And I am pretty sure that spaniards have the same feelings toward Merkel's Germany.

new topics

top topics

join