It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does billboard comparing Obama to alleged shooter go too far?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by beezzer

I think it makes an excellent point fairly tamely.

He and fellow globalists like Kissinger think of our beloved best and brightest in the military as

canon fodder and great candidates for population reduction efforts in foreign adventures doing globalists' dirty work.

132."Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy." Henry Kissinger, quoted by Bob Woodward in The Final Days, 1976

133."The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissinger

Source link:

twoday.net...

Our military is all volunteer.
So you are saying that people in the military are too stupid to deserve to exist?
Not really sure I understand how you can besmirch people that use wars to waste lives without applying the same to the people that hear that, know that, and ask where to sign.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
You know, I came into this thread fully expecting just to see a long list of posts condemning this.... Instead I find a good portion of posts saying either "what a great billboard" or, "this doesn't go far enough!"

Wow....

Really?

See, the thread title is asking if the billboard goes too far... And it would seem that all those in favour have understood this to mean "is it abusive enough towards Obama" or "does it bring in to question his inegrity"
Well, if this is the question then I guess you could argue either way...

However, when I saw this question I didn't see it as a political question, a question of whether it sufficiently (or conversely, overly) calls into question the policy or integrity of the man but as a question about human decency.

I read it more like "is using a horrible tragedy, perpetrated only a week ago, and still fresh in the minds of the families who have lost children and loved ones, and those who have forever been traumatised by their experience, to take a cheap shot at an opponent, in order to try and win a few votes going too far?"

it's a question of "is it right to exploit this tragedy in order to get some attention" and the only answer to that, surely, is no, it's utterly disgusting....

And, if those who asserted that this billboard was great, or in fact "didn't go far enough", thought for a second and viewed this as a question about decency, empathy, respect and humanity as opposed to a political question then I would think (or at least i hope) that they would change their mind....

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Milkflavour

The title of the thread was the title of the article cited.

Per T&C it's a rule.

I asked in my OP though, if it had gone too far.

I have not been too surprised by the answers.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

CALDWELL, Idaho (KBOI) - A Caldwell billboard is raising questions in the Treasure Valley as it compares President Obama to accused Colorado killer, James Holmes.

The billboard on Franklin Road equates the actions of the president's foreign policies to the acts of Holmes, who's suspected of killing 12 people in the theater shooting.

The group that owns the board, The Ralph Smeed Foundation, says it wants to draw attention to military men and women dying overseas.

"(It's) way over the line, and I am not an Obama supporter," Lynn Davis Hathaway, said on the KBOI 2News Facebook page.

A spokesman for the group says everyone has the right to their own opinion. | Additional photos of the billboard

Ashley Helton, who also wrote on Facebook, agrees with the group.

"It's a free country, this group has a right to voice their opinion no matter what anyone thinks about it," Helton said.

President Obama recently visited the Pacific Northwest - making stops in Portland and Seattle.

www.kboi2.com...

What say you ATS? Is this going too far? I think there are many ways to voice your dipleasure, this though?

Yes.

Too far.

beez

Doesn't go nearly far enough imho. How many people has Obama killed with his drones by now? Does anybody have a drone-kills by the Obama administration thread or link?

& why not have the O-camp put out a similar billboard about Romney & all the people that I'm sure he helped kill by downsizing & outsourcing American jobs.

We are in a heap of trouble here folks.

I quote Indiana Jones at this point,..."Snakes!,.. why'd it have to be snakes? (sighs)"

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Milkflavour
You know, I came into this thread fully expecting just to see a long list of posts condemning this.... Instead I find a good portion of posts saying either "what a great billboard" or, "this doesn't go far enough!"

Wow....

Really?

See, the thread title is asking if the billboard goes too far... And it would seem that all those in favour have understood this to mean "is it abusive enough towards Obama" or "does it bring in to question his inegrity"

However, when I saw this question I didn't see it as a political question, a question of whether it sufficiently (or conversely, overly) calls into question the policy or integrity of the man but as a question about human decency.

I read it more like "is using a horrible tragedy, perpetrated only a week ago, and still fresh in the minds of the families who have lost children and loved ones, and those who have forever been traumatised by their experience, to take a cheap shot at an opponent, in order to try and win a few votes going too far?"

it's a question of "is it right to exploit this tragedy in order to get some attention" and the only answer to that, surely, is no, it's utterly disgusting....

And, if those who asserted that this billboard was great, or in fact "didn't go far enough", thought for a second and viewed this as a question about decency, empathy, respect and humanity as opposed to a political question then I would think (or at least i hope) that they would change their mind....

I don't like that James Holmes was used, because we don't know if he killed anyone.

To look at Obama ordering the murder of someone without trial, as 'politics' is disgusting. It is a matter of 'decency, empathy, and respect' for the families of Obama's murder victims, to show his ongoing crimes as comparable to any murderer.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

Wow....

Really?

I don't like that James Holmes was used, because we don't know if he killed anyone.

To look at Obama ordering the murder of someone without trial, as 'politics' is disgusting. It is a matter of 'decency, empathy, and respect' for the families of Obama's murder victims, to show his ongoing crimes as comparable to any murderer.

You're right Trystst, perhaps I was being callous & too quick to type. It's just that these rotten SOB's have really all pulled a big number on us & I think we'll all be a lot better off when we all realize that neither party is going to help us. It's just the way I feel sometimes & I like to think Thoreau was right when he said, "
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." but I barely see ANY hacking going on anymore at all it seems.

I hope I'm wrong, forgive me & love to you & yours too.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
People have every right to have a bad opinion of Obama - in that respect, this billboard does not go too far.

The thought that this billboard goes to far is because of the Holmes side of things. There is no reason to be plastering his face and name on a billboard for either financial or political gain. The fact that someone would do this, or OK it to be done, shows just what kind of person they are.

Want to put up a billboard complaining about Obama? Thats fine, go for it. But this one is just complete and utter bull ....... poop.

As a side note, I live about 10 miles from where that billboard stands. I'll be taking the time to find out who owns that particular ad space, then making a phone call or sending off an email to them about it.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Well, I'm sorry if you read it that way but, I think it's fairly clear to anyone who reads my post that I don't think ANYONE being murdered is "just politics"... The question wasn't about murder it was about whether this billboard is insensitive and disrespectful to the families of those that were killed last week...

If they (the opposition) wanted to make a point about how Obama has been in charge of an administration that has been responsible for many countless deaths then fair enough (although the whole people in glass houses thing comes to mind, which is why i said you could make a case either way), but make it in a way that isn't disrespectful towards ANYONE, not those who have lost their lives in stupid wars OR lost their lives in senseless murders... What you just said is that, disregarding the dignity, feelings and respect of those who died in the shooting is a matter of decent and respect towards those who died by the hands of the government... Now I'm sure that's not what you meant (at least, I hope it isn't), it doesn't need to be one or the other, they could have chosen to run a billboard that made their point AND ensured no disrespect to anyone... Like I said in an earlier post, I might not want to vote for a guy who had overseen plenty of deaths during his term as president but, I wouldn't especially want to vote for a guy who would use a horrible tragedy to score some cheap points either...

Edit: could they not just have run a billboard that said "this guy is responsible for X number of deaths and they gave him a Nobel peace prize?!" for example?
edit on 30-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
im a righty & even i think thats too far, obama is the malado jimmy carter but, that billboard doesnt make sense , they need to leave the guy alone to some extent

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Well, I'm sorry if you read it that way but, I think it's fairly clear to anyone who reads my post that I don't think ANYONE being murdered is "just politics"... The question wasn't about murder it was about whether this billboard is insensitive and disrespectful to the families of those that were killed last week...

If they (the opposition) wanted to make a point about how Obama has been in charge of an administration that has been responsible for many countless deaths then fair enough (although the whole people in glass houses thing comes to mind, which is why i said you could make a case either way), but make it in a way that isn't disrespectful towards ANYONE, not those who have lost their lives in stupid wars OR lost their lives in senseless murders... What you just said is that, disregarding the dignity, feelings and respect of those who died in the shooting is a matter of decent and respect towards those who died by the hands of the government... Now I'm sure that's not what you meant (at least, I hope it isn't), it doesn't need to be one or the other, they could have chosen to run a billboard that made their point AND ensured no disrespect to anyone... Like I said in an earlier post, I might not want to vote for a guy who had overseen plenty of deaths during his term as president but, I wouldn't especially want to vote for a guy who would use a horrible tragedy to score some cheap points either...

I have little doubt that you care about the victims of the Colorado massacre, and like "pagedisciple" pointed out, the politics in this country seems hopeless. But, I see nothing wrong in comparing the U.S. president with a murderer. When 9/11 happened, one of the main talking points in the media was not to question anything about it, because it is somehow hurtful to the families of the victims. This makes no sense to me. What Obama is doing is continuous. He's not in prison. When I watch videos of families mourning loss after loss of their loved ones, pleading for the U.S. to stop killing, then my empathy is moved to sympathy, because we here in the U.S. are closer to stopping those murders ordered by these presidents, than the victims across the ocean are.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I will say that I do find the billboard to be disrespectful to the victims and their loved ones but the billboard is bang on. The truth hurts sometimes huh?
edit on 30-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: spelling

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
What does foreign policy have to do have to do with an American shooter killing Americans?

Just another ignorant rightwinged hick who only knows how to compare liberals to bad guys, even when done incorrectly.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But to compare the two is disingenguous.

Obama is a killer, he orders the death of people without trial. He has a kill list so how would comparing the two be "disingenguous"?

It's a fair comparison.
edit on 30-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by beezzer

But to compare the two is disingenguous.

Obama is a killer, he ordersers the death of people without trial. He has a kill list so how would comparing the two be "disingenguous"?

It's a fair comparison.

Compare the two, fine. Compare whatever two people you want, its your right. But a billboard next to the freeway is not he place for this comparison to be made. Not at this time, and not for political gain.

This state is crazy nuts Republican in nature, so its no real surprise that this is where it happened.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

i dont care if you hate obama, if you applaud this you have problems.

That is your opinion and nothing more.

My opinion is that if you disagree with this billboard you have problems.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by elitegamer23

i dont care if you hate obama, if you applaud this you have problems.

That is your opinion and nothing more.

My opinion is that if you disagree with this billboard you have problems.

I disagree with the billboard, and I am not a fan of Obama. One is comparing a tyrantical foreign policy that gave itself a license to kill against a mentally ill person who killed a bunch of people in a movie theatre. I found it disingenuous because of that.
There are countless other legitimate issues that culd have been brought up. This hateful sign weakens any further arguments against Obama.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Well, like I said, they could make their point without reference to the recent killings... Couldn't they just say "Obama has killed (edit: has been responsible for the deaths of) X number of people, how stupid is it to award this guy a Nobel peace prize"? Hell, why not make one saying "this guy's a war criminal!" if you want to go down that route... That's making the same point but without being disrespectful or insensitive towards those families who lost loved ones last week....

I agree that there should be an open discussion about what has happened and what continues to happen... Whether its Obama, Bush, Tony Blair (and many more of course).... They have all been in charge of a country that has been involved in dubious and highly damaging wars. I agree that there should be serious discussion about this, however, this billboard wasn't designed to do that, it was designed to be shocking and to score some points and curry favour close to an election, and that's what I find distasteful....
edit on 30-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Comparing Obama to a mass murderer is showing deep hate for the president that goes well beyond disagreeing with his policies. Whether you're a republican, democrat, libertarian or independent, making a comparison like this simply shows your ignorance.

Sorry, I'm not a very big fan of murderers, and Obama is a mass murderer.

Pardon my ignorance

edit on 30-7-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Can't say that I don't find the billboard distasteful. I don't agree with many of Obama's policies/decisions. Then again, I don't think our country has had a great leader in some time. I can see the point this is trying to make, but think it could have been portrayed better.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The social attack this billboard is on the knee jerk reaction by the public which is good and appropriate, tactical at it's pursuit to open the eyes of those out there who are unaware of the media war commenced on the people.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join