It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Speech can cross to Hate. Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
There is political speech. There is political satire. There are even attack ads and the politics of outright bad taste.

This goes beyond all that.

CALDWELL, Idaho (KBOI) - A Caldwell billboard is raising questions in the Treasure Valley as it compares the president to accused Colorado killer, James Holmes.

The billboard on Franklin Road equates the actions of the president's foreign policies to the acts of Holmes, who's suspected of killing 12 people in the theater shooting.

The group that owns the board, The Ralph Smeed Foundation, says it wants to draw attention to military men and women dying overseas.
Source

I don't like Obama any more than the next guy this season but this is just vile. Some suggest conservatives never call their own out when they take things too far. Well, here is one for the books to note how it sure does happen. I hope this isn't up for long. It's just hateful

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
There is some truth in it so I don't see a problem with it let people say what they want

People in here will complain over and over that we are losing free speech, but then ask/hope something like this comes down, seems hypocritical to me

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Truth hurts... That's why folks are offended. They are confusing hate with hurt. There is nothing about the billboard that needs to be removed IMO. It's the truth just shoved right out there on a silver platter and nobody likes to be reminded of it.
edit on 7/27/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I did mention....I am anti-Obama as well, right? It isn't that it's calling Obama a killer. I find that almost humorous in the irony. Obama was thrilled to see this portrayed about Bush and probably enjoyed it just a bit too much in 2008. Payback on THAT part of it is karma.

It's the exploitation of the Colorado Shootings for a cheap political point that tends to rub me real wrong here. It hasn't even been a full week. This is a very fresh and open wound for so very many in the U.S. for the shock of it.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I did mention....I am anti-Obama as well, right? It isn't that it's calling Obama a killer. I find that almost humorous in the irony. Obama was thrilled to see this portrayed about Bush and probably enjoyed it just a bit too much in 2008. Payback on THAT part of it is karma.

It's the exploitation of the Colorado Shootings for a cheap political point that tends to rub me real wrong here. It hasn't even been a full week. This is a very fresh and open wound for so very many in the U.S. for the shock of it.

It is indeed an exploitation, but I can not (myself) think it is right to remove it because of free speech the dreaded slippery slope and all that jazz. IMO it is too soon as well and they may wind up turning more people off than on by doing it.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Oh goodness... Star for your point and if by free speech you mean forcing them by Government or any authority to take it down, I never meant that. I have to remind myself at times, that is actually happening. The world has changed so much....

I'd like to see pressure from the public. Billboard makers are usually pretty sensitive for obvious reasons in their business.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Oh goodness... Star for your point and if by free speech you mean forcing them by Government or any authority to take it down, I never meant that. I have to remind myself at times, that is actually happening. The world has changed so much....

I'd like to see pressure from the public. Billboard makers are usually pretty sensitive for obvious reasons in their business.

I still have to do the same thing at times. It is hard to believe, looking back that we are facing censoring of free speech more than ever before. It's a sad thing to be sure.

I think the public will definitely be making some calls on this one, and it will probably land on a few news stations. I also think that was probably the main attempt all along. Free advertisement in places most could not afford to pay for. They will probably wind up taking it down sooner or later.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Only problem I have with that sign, is that it is premature. James Holmes hasn't been convicted of anything yet.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Obama had "signed off" on alot of predator strikes but this is just in bad taste. More political chicanery

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HamrHeed
Obama had "signed off" on alot of predator strikes but this is just in bad taste. More political chicanery

That really is the bottom line Hamr. I agree completely. I don't necessarily disagree with the right side of the billboard but that isn't the point. The fact the left half is even seen in anything but a news photo this early on is.

new topics

top topics

join