It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Builds Gun With 3d Printer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

We’ve seen no shortage of 3D-printed masterpieces over the last several months, but this is reportedly the first time that an individual has utilised the technology to develop a firearm. It comes from a customers on the AR15 message boards, a community for gun fanatics. He utilised a Stratasys 3D printer to develop a .22 pistol. And yes, it really operates it can shoot bullets just like a normal gun.

usahitman.com...

I was wondering when this was going to happen. You see, a 3d printer can be used to make more than 3d Artwork, it can be used to make parts. I'm surprised people really haven't figured this out by now, but it can be used to make some things such as engine parts, and the like. I don't know anything about the science behind it though, it's just logic. If you can make 3d objects, you can make other kinds of viable working parts with it. I don't think you can make large objects such as a car or a jumbo jet though. Although i suppose if you had a 3d printer with enough raw materials you could. Those things are really versatile, and I wish I could have one.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I would throw it away after firing it once - in all honesty, knowing what I do about 3d printing....I would not be within 100ft of anyone firing such a gun.

3D printing is ok for prototypes but I think I would much rather a gun CNC milled & machined out of a big lump of HT steel.

Resins and 3D printing are getting better all the time but they still require precision finishing after printing. This negates any gains in an industrial/production scenario as extra tooling is required for an inferior product.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Thank you, I did do a search and didn't find anything.

It seems no matter how fast I am somebody else has beaten me to it.

top topics

join