It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most dangerous job in the world - needs strong heart to Watch

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Nope. Couldn't do it. Not a chance.

I would however, buy both those men as many rounds at the pub as humanly possible.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I hope these guys don't have IBS. Probably the type of job that requires a lot of travel and hopefully the pay is in the 6 figures range.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Thought I would share this link about their salaries....definately not worth it!!

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I am an Iron Worker in the U.S. ( we erect high rises and bridges etc.) and in most locals we crew the erection of these towers. I have a few friends who erect transmission towers specifically all across the U.S. It is a pretty fascinating erection sequence, and yes, scary as all #. Being at height and working at height are two different worlds as one would assume. You never become fearless, that mentality is non-existant; however, you learn how to use the sensation to your advantage and it becomes addictive. The men and women who do these jobs and other jobs that are equally dangerous, deserve mad props.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by decussation
I am an Iron Worker in the U.S. ( we erect high rises and bridges etc.) and in most locals we crew the erection of these towers. I have a few friends who erect transmission towers specifically all across the U.S. It is a pretty fascinating erection sequence, and yes, scary as all #. Being at height and working at height are two different worlds as one would assume. You never become fearless, that mentality is non-existant; however, you learn how to use the sensation to your advantage and it becomes addictive. The men and women who do these jobs and other jobs that are equally dangerous, deserve mad props.

Do the people doing the erecting of these towers make that ridiculously low wage that the people do who have to climb and service those towers?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I was looking at this a couple of hours ago at my brothers house and didn't want to log in over there but wow, terrifying. When I was young, a kid really we climbed all kinds of stuff we had no business messing with, great times. Long story short, about six years ago I started working construction here and there after quitting near fifteen years in the food service industry. Turns out I'm afraid of heights, badly as a matter of fact. I can't even stand to hold the ladder for people to the point that I feel like I might have a heart attack. So yeah I don't do that anymore and these guys climbing the tower, no way. It was tough to watch and I kept saying HOOK YOUR F#@$%^$#$% thing, damn it. Yup, big balls on these dudes and mad respect, something I could never do.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

No, their wages are set through collective agreement along with benefit packages, and they cannot pay below the nogatiated rate for one. The other factor is that the crews who specialize in erecting these towers are...specialized haha, and can pretty much write their own ticket with the company who employs them. They don't make gobs of money, but the few guys I know who do it make low six figures along with travel, lodging and the likes. They put in alot of overtime though to make those wages. One guy I am closer to said the biggest spook factor is sudden gales and lightning storms that rise up.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
It's stories like these that keep me coming back to ATS! Always something to expand experiences of things I couldn't dream of doing. Saying that, I might consider climbing a structure similar with a big enough dosage of confidence pills once they are invented

It reminds me of a documentary I saw that discussed how in America, when building the high rises, native American Indians were often used as for some reason it was determined they carried a gene or some sort of trait that left them without a fear of heights. Absolutely fascinating documentary - I just wish I could remember the title.

The only thing that would make this job cooler is if they travel up with a parachute strapped to their backs. That way, once the job is done, they could just launch off and float back to the lunch room!

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I'd definately take a parachute if possible.

On a windy day, that tower would be swaying heaps too.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberdaz

Yeah, man! They are the Mohawk tribe and they are some catty individuals for sure. I don't know the name of the documentary of which you speak, but the Mohawks are legendary in our field.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
Thought I would share this link about their salaries....definately not worth it!!

That's crap, hey!

I know these are the type of people who would get a thrill out of it instead of crapping themselves like we would, but the danger factor deserves a lot more than that!

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I love how casual he is with with safety line.

Looks around for a bit. "Meh... I guess I'll hook myself up now."

Then when he gets to the top he just hops on to the beacon like he doesn't give a #, doesn't bother hooking himself up until hes comfortable. Hanging out over the biggest drop I've ever seen outside of being on an aircraft.

That guys got some balls. I don't understand why they don't run a line up it they can hook a cable grab to though? Seems like that would make it a lot safer.
edit on 28-7-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I doubt if this is the world's most dangerous job.

Unless silverstein owns the building.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by decussation

For reasons purely personal - I respect people who are in the erection buisiness.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Its when he looks down then looks back up and tilts his head backwards that gets me, kept thinking he slipped!

Man my hands were all sweaty watching that

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Just watching that video made my palms sweat.

But yeah, I don't think this is the worlds most dangerous job. There has got to be more dangerous ones than that.
edit on 28-7-2012 by Sozen94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
The helmet is pointless, sorta mormon magic underwear.

The only good thing is the guy got the highest position of the company.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by adept333

Originally posted by adept333
How is it dangerous? Theyre being held up by a safety rope. If they slip they dont fall to their death. I can see one getting used to the heights.

reply to post by SoulVoid

Originally posted by SoulVoid
From what i´ve read Alaskan Crab Fisherman is the most dangerous job ever...

reply to post by Sozen94

Originally posted by Sozen94
Just watching that video made my palms sweat.

But yeah, I don't think this is the worlds most dangerous job. There has got to be more dangerous ones than that.

reply to post by davidmann

Originally posted by davidmann
I doubt if this is the world's most dangerous job.

Unless silverstein owns the building.

It definitely IS the most deadliest job.
Here are 2 of the Top 10 Most Fatal Occupations (by statistics).

#1. Tower Climber, Annual Income: $40,000-$60,000

#2. Crab Fisherman, Annual Income: $27,250- $150,000

sources:

www.wirelessestimator.com...

lmgtfy.com...

listverse.com...

www.cosmoloan.com...
edit on 7/28/2012 by ghoulardi because: add sources

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
In terms of workplace violence, convenience store clerk is the most dangerous job in the world. Probably overall fatalities too.

You can use stats to change things around order so it really depends on which survey that you read.
edit on 28-7-2012 by igor_ats because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by adept333

For the most part they are free climbing. No rope,scary as hell

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join