The most dangerous job in the world - needs strong heart to Watch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Imagine getting to the top and realising you left your tools at the bottom

Nope, I would not do that EVEN if there was a safety line.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Yeah I wouldn't put much faith in a clip made from some assembly line and woven rope also built off of some assembly line to keep me alive. I would be hugging the nearest object I could like a sissy the entire climb. THe other guy would be like 50 feet above me going "COME ON WE GOTTA GO!!!!" and I'd be like still hugging some stanchion for dear life going "Nope! Not moving uh uh!" shaking my head no with my eyes closed. And i've jumped recreationally before. nothing too crazy like Gulf did. But still I can free fall with relative comfort. No way would I climb that thing.

Imagin if your foot slipped. Even if you caught yourself a split second later you would still run the risk of going into a full out panic attack and loosing it all together.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
i'm not scared of height's. but I still cried an wet myself.
ty.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It seems to me, if the guys who can climb up there and fix it learned how to base jump too, it would sure save time and effort on the reverse trip!

Seriously, just watching the video is about too much and I'm not prone to vertigo. Or..I wasn't. Thanks op! I'm scarred for life.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

good idea! except for the tool box, I don't know how they'd get that down. your welcome

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
my-palms-are-sweating!!!

the free climbing and the pauses between clipping in were just...well..

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Imagine getting to the top and realising you left your tools at the bottom

Nope, I would not do that EVEN if there was a safety line.

If it was only tools like screwdrivers, wrenches and hammers..... No, you have to test, and that means carrying test equipment up with you, like a network analyzer, etc, to make sure the antenna is actually working the way it was designed to. No use measuring it at the bottom after a couple of hundred meters of coax cable, that would influence your readings. You have to take this frigging heavy lab instrument (the one we used weighed about 40kg and costed about US$ 60 000) up with you, connect the antenna to it, do your measurements, and then connect the coax cables to the antenna, and then climb back down with this very expensive test equipment....

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
How about the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.
That will pucker the sphincter too. Especially when the jet wash rolls you across the deck.

Haha been there and done that lol. Worked on the flight deck for over a year, during the first Gulf War.

No fun being blown down that none-skid, or into the net. Let alone the flying pieces of prop blade when an E-2 clipped another plane on landing.

But I would do that again over climbing towers any day of the week. That is seriously scary.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I know some adrenalin junkies that would do this for free. Me?...Maybe twenty years ago,..maybe.
I climbed a grain silo when I was twelve and sat on the edge with my legs dangling off because my cousin dared me to do it, but that was nothing in comparison to these guys.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I work as a roofer. The tallest roof I've ever been on was 11 stories and ended up being about 125 feet off the ground. There was a huge, 4 1/2 foot parapet. No qualms about that. Look over the edge and you know you're safe.

I've been in these machines called genie lifts. The 90 foot one is totally mobile from the basket. If you are fully raised, when the wind blows, you sway, and THAT is unnerving. Its still pretty safe.

One of the suckiest projects I work on are the ones where we have to break out the 60 foot ladder. It doesn't happen too often, but it is typically a 4 man job to set it up. It's aluminum and still heavy as #. I seen one dude move like 8 feet by himself but he was a freak. Highly unrecommended. My tool bucket is like 40 pounds. I carry it normally. The 60 footer, tool bucket, and a hangover are a rough combo up the ladder. The actual height when fully extended is only 55 feet, but it's a workout nonetheless.

The safety involved with roofing is insane. To hear the narrator say that they skirt the safety... Of course it happens, yet insane fines may ensue. It does waste time.

I worked with a former paratrooper, he did his 3 from Ft. Campbell and became a roofer as well. Anyhow, he jumped 8 feet off this roof, it was a prison roof (medium security, and the guards were too lazy to hang out and wanted to put the ladder away) and dude broke his ankle. oh, and the admin didn't care. I digress, yet the safety was more important than getting the job done.

One of the hardest repairs I ever did was a grain elevator. Straight up ladder. 90 feet. Worst workout ever. That is what makes your thread real. Its one thing to climb high at a 1/4 ratio, its another to climb 90 degrees! Honestly, those guys are studs. Honestly, you do get used to it.

As one guy mentioned, be equipped with a packed chute just in case.

I think only adrenaline junkies may apply. Maybe 10 years ago I would've.

You might get fined though.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I thought the most dangerous job would be EOD? I watched a show about those guys trying to get rid of those old bombs (I think from WW2?). I've been trying to find that video. Those guys were very brave trying to get rid of those things.

Just one example

I would rather climb that than trying to get rid of those bombs. At least climbing is more predicable.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I would say the most dangerous job would be a taliban militant anywhere in visual range of the US military.He would die faster than the tower climber.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Totally off topic. This is supposed to be fun, not a job. But it is hard to watch (makes the soles of my feet itch). Give me my kite and I'd be fine. Walking it? Nope.
edit on 7/27/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I almost married a wacko who did this job....you do have to be nuts and no fear of anything.

He worked on towers in the middle of the night and had to be on the ground before they powered up the tower in the AM...no way to stop it, get your butt to the ground or fry.

He was one of those charming tough guys at first...then I found out what a crazy he was...nuts nuts nuts.

As far as pay, this was 20 years ago...mostly cell phone towers...remember those big cell phones? Pay stunk.

Wonder how they get paid now.
edit on 27-7-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Omg I had to stop watching, I felt like I was going to be sick, as well I felt that sensation.. You know that downwards pull, when your near a high height. For instance standing near a cliff, or in a glass elevator, you almost have this internal urge, or sensation that your being pulled toward the edge. I had to stop just as he started to climb the antenna itself. No more cage, maybe 10 pulls past the power box. Full screen, in a dark room gave me quite the sensation of being there. Damn my super, Empathic and multiple perspective powers.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
all that work to change out a defect chinese part...

made in china...right on the label..

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

That brings back memories. When the US was drawing down out of Bosnia I had to crawl up quite a few antennas and read off the serial numbers of the various equipment attached that we were signing over to the EU security forces. The guy on the ground who refused to climb kept radioing me, "Don't slip man."

What a !&$%#@!

The antennas were not as high as those in the vid, but the pucker factor was definitly there.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
I thought the most dangerous job would be EOD? I watched a show about those guys trying to get rid of those old bombs (I think from WW2?). I've been trying to find that video. Those guys were very brave trying to get rid of those things.

Every once in a blue moon a French or German farmer will happen upon live WWII ordinance today. When I was enlisted in the Army I was an 18C which is a Special Forces Engineer Sergeant. Demolitions, mines, building things but mostly blowing stuff up. Anyway, I have removed some live mines in my day, while a little nerve wracking knowing what type and where the caps are makes it relatively easy. IEDs are another thing entirely.

I have never had to disarm someone else’s handy work for a demo project and after some of the ones I made I am glad I never had to. One can make some very lethal and tricky to disarm IEDs. An IED is like breaking down someone’s homemade engine for a mechanic. The key parts are all the same in principal but you don't really know how they have them all rigged for redundancy.

All that said, I'd take and EOD job over that tower climbing gig any day of the week.

I don't mind heights even I am a HALO jumpmaster and enjoy the view off the tailgate of a C130 at 18999 (max training altitude) feet. Being an officer sucks sometimes I only ever got to jumpmaster in training since my NCOs did it oh so much better and as I need to keep my interval for proper tracking in the air for command and control.

It’s beautiful; however, since there is nothing to use as a frame of reference for height the ground just looks like a patchwork of colors during the day and a map of lights at night. It doesn’t look real.

Besides, I know I have not one but two chutes on should I fall somehow. It would be the kiss of death career wise for a jumpmaster to fall out during an operation - hell that fear was more pervasive than the actual fall ever was. I can only imagine what one would be thinking on the way down lol. Is there a way to look cool while explaining total failure to one's team and Commander??? That and it would be a long walk to whatever drop zone you were intending to hit.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

If my main don’t open wide,
I’ve got another one by my side!

If that chute don’t open too,

LOOK OUT BELOW…IMA COMIN’ THROUGH!

Ah…the memories.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by adept333

he only uses the safety rope at certain intervals, in the audio of the video they tell you he is free climbing and safety lines take up too much time.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join