It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most expensive sportsday in history. why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This olympic games is the most expensive in history mostly paid for by the uk taxpayer.

www.paydayloan.co.uk...

What is the point of spending this much in times of austerity?

Who cares if some guy in a pair of Nike sponsored shorts takes 0.05 seconds off of a personal best?

I suspect a lot of illicit drug profits have been converted into real-estate in the area.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I don't know if they Government will make it back, but surely having a massively disruptive event that brings millions to your country has to benefit someone?

Business owners?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Insurance Companies are making a killing.

Sub-Contracting policies are through the roof with Private Manufacturing, Installation & Security companies (G4S) taking one-off contracts for the Olympics with sizeable premiums no doubt.

A fair point to say Lloyd's of Londons' pockets just got a lot heavier.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Its not a bad financial move in all honesty.

You better believe the politician s will be using this opportunity to expand trade links etc. The knock on commercial effect, not sure. Tourist numbers will be down which means mid-low end market will suffer a bit, but this may be a benefit if the games are positive as it will attract more in the future.

high end will do very well out of this and thats still good as this trickles down.

It all depends on the outside perception I suppose.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Rather like the Roman infatuation with gladiatorial events while their empire crumbled around them, isn't it? You can see the same thing in most countries though, especially America. Huge amounts of resources are expended in the USA every year just so grown men and women can watch grown men and women throw balls to or at each other. Meanwhile, the economy continues to grow worse and natural resources continue to dwindle. It is a time when we, as a species, should be focused on reversing this unsustainable trend of ecological destruction and resources extraction, and yet we focus on everything except just that. Sad, really. I always wonder what aliens would think of our sports when viewed alongside our rampant destruction of everything. "Hey, look, their world is burning and...wait, what are they doing over there? There's thousands of them watching people run around on a field throwing objects at each other. They look so happy about it, too. How stupid are they?" *Epic alien facepalm*

top topics

join