It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012, possible scientific explanation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

This week researchers announced that a storm is coming--the most intense solar maximum in fifty years. The prediction comes from a team led by Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). "The next sunspot cycle will be 30% to 50% stronger than the previous one," she says. If correct, the years ahead could produce a burst of solar activity second only to the historic Solar Max of 1958.

Dikpati's prediction is unprecedented. In nearly-two centuries since the 11-year sunspot cycle was discovered, scientists have struggled to predict the size of future maxima—and failed. Solar maxima can be intense, as in 1958, or barely detectable, as in 1805, obeying no obvious pattern.

source

Science admits that they have not had much luck at predicting solar activity.

Establishing the mechanisms by which the solar wind enters Earth's magnetosphere is one of the biggest goals of magnetospheric physics, as it forms the basis of space weather phenomena such as magnetic storms and aurorae.

source

This was/is so important because it would offer an explanation to whether or not solar activity can affect Earth weather. Well, we have a pretty good idea of how it happens now.

"We call them X-points or electron diffusion regions," explains plasma physicist Jack Scudder of the University of Iowa. "They're places where the magnetic field of Earth connects to the magnetic field of the Sun, creating an uninterrupted path leading from our own planet to the sun's atmosphere 93 million miles away."

Observations by NASA's THEMIS spacecraft and Europe's Cluster probes suggest that these magnetic portals open and close dozens of times each day. They're typically located a few tens of thousands of kilometers from Earth where the geomagnetic field meets the onrushing solar wind. Most portals are small and short-lived; others are yawning, vast, and sustained. Tons of energetic particles can flow through the openings, heating Earth's upper atmosphere, sparking geomagnetic storms, and igniting bright polar auroras.

source

These X-points or pathways offer a magnetic bridge to leach energetic material from the sun to the Earth's upper atmosphere, where energetic particles flow through on a regular basis. They enter our upper atmosphere, and then begins to circulate along our own magnetic field, allowing the planet to remain warm and hospitable. This is probably a requirement for life to evolve on any planet. The weather on Earth, is directly related to the "weather" on the sun. This is important because of the very active solar cycle we are experiencing right now.

My local weather station has a lightning strike counter they use to display it in realtime. I wonder if they know that the most important thing on my screen is the ever increasing lightning strikes?

We have something similar here on Earth—the Great Ocean Conveyor Belt, popularized in the sci-fi movie The Day After Tomorrow. It is a network of currents that carry water and heat from ocean to ocean--see the diagram below. In the movie, the Conveyor Belt stopped and threw the world's weather into chaos.

The sun's conveyor belt is a current, not of water, but of electrically-conducting gas. It flows in a loop from the sun's equator to the poles and back again. Just as the Great Ocean Conveyor Belt controls weather on Earth, this solar conveyor belt controls weather on the sun. Specifically, it controls the sunspot cycle.

Solar physicist David Hathaway of the National Space Science & Technology Center (NSSTC) explains: "First, remember what sunspots are--tangled knots of magnetism generated by the sun's inner dynamo. A typical sunspot exists for just a few weeks. Then it decays, leaving behind a 'corpse' of weak magnetic fields."
Enter the conveyor belt.

"The top of the conveyor belt skims the surface of the sun, sweeping up the magnetic fields of old, dead sunspots. The 'corpses' are dragged down at the poles to a depth of 200,000 km where the sun's magnetic dynamo can amplify them. Once the corpses (magnetic knots) are reincarnated (amplified), they become buoyant and float back to the surface." Presto—new sunspots!

source

Not only do these "belts" have a profound impact on the weather of our sun, and our planet, but the situation becomes less and less stable as the number of sunspots increases. If our magnetic fields were bombarded with too much energetic material, or too little, things could change quickly.

Large flares are often associated with huge ejections of mass from the Sun, although the association is not clear. These coronal mass ejections (CMEs) are balloon-shaped bursts of solar wind rising above the solar corona, expanding as they climb. Solar plasma is heated to tens of millions of degrees, and electrons, protons, and heavy nuclei are accelerated to near the speed of light. The super-heated electrons from CMEs move along the magnetic field lines faster than the solar wind can flow. Rearrangement of the magnetic field, and solar flares may result in the formation of a shock that accelerates particles ahead of the CME loop. Each CME releases up to 100 billion kg (220 billion lb) of this material, and the speed of the ejection can reach 1000 km/second (2 million mph) in some flares. Solar flares and CMEs are currently the biggest "explosions" in our solar system, roughly approaching the power in ONE BILLION hydrogen bombs!

source

According to the science, the energetic matter being produced and circulated along the sun's magnetic field can and is leached to Earth via magnetic pathways.

In the first type of polar reversal that may occur in 2012, the effects on the environment would be serious, but manageable. The ocean currents would reverse, ice-caps melt, and winds and precipitation levels alter drastically. However, if the second type of polar reversal were to occur in 2012, i.e. the entire the planet flips over as well as the Poles, there would be additional energy shifts causing tectonic plates to move. This would result in devastating earthquakes and considerable volcanic activity. The impact to Earth would be similar to a major meteorite impact, causing mass extinctions of species that marked the end of the age of the dinosaurs.

source
Earth
Sun

I'm not going to tell you that everything on that first site is true, but rather ask you something. What do you think would happen if both Earth and the Sun underwent a magnetic pole reversal at the same time during or right after solar cycle 24? This is what is unique about the year 2012.

I also will not bore you with proof of previous ice age climate changes. That is also self evident on a site like ATS.

The signs are there, the science is there. What more do you need?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Sun cycles are natural and happen every 11 years, as we have stated. The poles reverse and shift back and forth every cycle. Solar Cycle 24 is getting a lot of attention though from NASA science these days concerning the 2012 upcoming cycle of the pole shift on the sun. Solar Cycle 24 is predicted to be 50% more solar activity than normal, for some reason. It could be because there are other celestial influences this time compared to the other sun cycles that have happened in the past. If Niburu, Planet X is for real, that could have some influence. The passing of the Earth and this entire solar system through the galactic equator could have some influence, and there may be influences from within the sun itself that no one really knows much about. There are various reasons that NASA scientists are putting out as to why there might be more violence in the sun's cycles with the upcoming Sun Cycle 24 in 2012.

source

What will happen? I really don't know. I guess that it probably won't be anything good.

My personal hypothesis is this. The worst of the solar activity is over, but when the Earth's and the Sun's magnetic fields reverse during the same year the temporary loss of these "portals" will result in an excess of energy in the Sun, and eventually cause a cooling trend in the sun itself. This will trigger an ice age for us. The Earth will immediately begin to slowly heat up after the pathways are restored, and in 25,000 years another species like us will go through it all over again.

I am curious to know if any other celestial bodies in our solar system will also have amagnetic reversal this year. I can't find any information though. All the information I have found states that they really don't know much about Jupiter and Saturn's magnetic fields. Mercury and Venus do not have a magnetic field, and they really don't know about the planets beyond Saturn.

Maybe Phage knows the answer to that?

Excuse me, I have an apointment with a concrete bunker.

edit on 27-7-2012 by AnarchysAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Your first source is extremely dated (2006), before the last solar minimum. More recent predictions called for below average activity and are proving to be correct.
solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

This was/is so important because it would offer an explanation to whether or not solar activity can affect Earth weather. Well, we have a pretty good idea of how it happens now.

There is little evidence that solar particle activity has any effect on weather.

These X-points or pathways offer a magnetic bridge to leach energetic material from the sun to the Earth's upper atmosphere, where energetic particles flow through on a regular basis. They enter our upper atmosphere, and then begins to circulate along our own magnetic field, allowing the planet to remain warm and hospitable.

Solar particles do not warm us. Electromagnetic radiation from the Sun does.

What do you think would happen if both Earth and the Sun underwent a magnetic pole reversal at the same time during or right after solar cycle 24? This is what is unique about the year 2012.

It is possible that the Earth is currently undergoing a magnetic reversal (it is also possible that it is not). It has done so in the past (last time was about 780,000 years ago) however most indications are that such reversals take thousands of years to occur. There is also no indication that anything particularly dramatic has occurred during or after any of them.

The signs are there, the science is there. What more do you need?

The science part. Work on that a bit more.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
All your sources I click are old news, what do have that is new. Not 10 plus years ago?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AnarchysAngel

Lemme try to get this straight....

Are you saying that this prediction, which may or may not come to pass exactly how it has been predicted, is some sort of a scientific explanation of an event which will most likely never occur anyways?

Ok... Well, I have another lil question:

This week researchers announced that a storm is coming

When you copied and pasted this↑ part, why did you leave off the preceding sentence, which showed that 'This Week', was 6 years ago?

March 10, 2006: It's official: Solar minimum has arrived. Sunspots have all but vanished. Solar flares are nonexistent. The sun is utterly quiet. Like the quiet before a storm.

This week researchers announced that a storm is coming

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

That was an opening source that was used to explain that scientists had very little luck with predicting solar activity.

I'm saying that if you read and understand what is going on, you will understand how an ice age happens. I think it's a sound theory when we take the new information about the so called "portals" and check it against old information we already know about 2012 and the magnetic reversal of both the Earth and the Sun.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Very informative
. Have to wonder how HAARP plays into this, experimenting as it does within some of the same regions that are already volatile at this time. Perhaps every 24,000 to 26,000 years, man invents HAARP and brings destruction down on himself.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnarchysAngel

I'm saying that if you read and understand what is going on, you will understand how an ice age happens. I think it's a sound theory when we take the new information about the so called "portals" and check it against old information we already know about 2012 and the magnetic reversal of both the Earth and the Sun.

Personally, I think that seems like an awful lot of what if's; could be's; mights; and maybes.

A prediction? Yes.
but an explanation? nah.

The only explanation needed for 2012, is that of a basic mathematics explanation, wherein 2012 comes after 2011, and before 2013.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
2012 - no solar chaos, no pole shift, no mayan ET's, no earth destroying quakes, no niburu.

If anything this year, maybe some false flag stuff from the gov to start wars, but that's about it.......

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

It's such a complicated theory to lay out and properly source. It requires a bit of knowledge of astronomy, or 20 or so sources cited. Let me see if I can remove some of your "what if's".

The Earth and the Sun share a common bond due to the alignment of their magnetic fields in certain places. These alignments provide a magnetic "highway" if you will, where energetic particles are pulled from the Sun. This deposits them into the Earth's upper atmosphere, and travel along Earth's Great Ocean Conveyor Belt in normal times. It helps to warm and stabalize the Earth's climate.

When the sun goes into it's volatile solar cycle, it produces these particles in excess when sun spots and CMEs occur. This is normal, and it happens every 11 or so years. It goes into this cycle because the Sun is reversing it's magnetic poles during this time.

This is solar cycle 24, the strongest solar cycle since 1755. The Earth, according to scientists is due to reverse it's own magnetic field sometime in the near future. When this happens, the "highways" I spoke of will stop leaching particles from the sun again, at that time. The Earth's own magnetic field may become weaker or even disappear for a time. This is important because the Sun uses Earth as a "power sink" for these particles.

At first glance it may not seem to matter because the Earth is small right? The Earth is also the closest planet with a magnetic field, meaning it probably has the strongest magnetic attraction with the Sun. Venus and Mercury do not have magnetic fields. Mars, is further away and smaller. Jupiter, is very far away and the gas giants may not have a conventional magnetic field. This leaves only one. Earth.

I'm proposing that when this happens, the Sun will become hotter for a time due to the excess energetic particles, and then cool as this will be a short term change with long term effects. The Earth will reform it's magnetic field over time, but the reformation may be slow. Without strong flow of energetic particles, the Earth would be a very different place. The combonation of the cooling effect on the Sun, and the destruction of the magnetic alignment "highways" between Earth and the Sun, may trigger an ice age, imho.

You can believe the NASA propaganda if you want. I've seen some truely terrifying pictures of the Sun this year. Even if it were not a nasty solar cycle right now, the fact that the Earth may reverse magnetic poles at a time when the Sun may need to use us as an energy dump, is scary enough.

Most of that information is in my sources that I cited. Some of it isn't. I'm not linking it all.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

This is solar cycle 24, the strongest solar cycle since 1755.
This is Solar cycle 24, the least active in 100 years.

The Earth, according to scientists is due to reverse it's own magnetic field sometime in the near future.
Incorrect. There is no pattern to past reversals. No reason to expect a reversal. The last reversal was 780,000 years ago. There have been wider gaps and narrower gaps.

This is important because the Sun uses Earth as a "power sink" for these particles.
That is nonsense. The amount of particles captured by the Earth's magnetosphere is an insignificant fraction of the amount of particles emitted by the Sun.

I'm proposing that when this happens, the Sun will become hotter for a time due to the excess energetic particles, and then cool as this will be a short term change with long term effects.
The particles were emitted. Some are captured by the magnetosphere, most are not. Flux transfer events allow a greater amount of the plasma to enter the magnetosphere. Those which are not just continue on out into the Solar System.

Without strong flow of energetic particles, the Earth would be a very different place.
The Earth is in its present orbit due to its angular momentum and the gravitational attraction between it and the Sun.

You can believe the NASA propaganda if you want.
Propaganda like information about flux transfer events? The sunspot number is NASA propaganda?

Most of that information is in my sources that I cited. Some of it isn't. I'm not linking it all.

None of what you said is in any of your sources, except perhaps the "University of Metaphysical Sciences". Which, by the way, is an oxymoronic name. I didn't read it.

Your science is still lacking.

edit on 7/27/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You're not doing my thinking for me, nor are you going to convince me your propaganda is truth. You didn't even bother linking any. Why not?

Every source I have says solar cycle 24 is the peak solar cycle, as I said.

I guess you didn't read, that those magnetic pathways can pull ridiculous amounts of energetic particles through them, when they need to, did you? Additional pathways "open up" when there is enough energetic particles to provide sufficient charge. That's probably why the Earth is heating up this summer, and lightning storms are so common. Try going outside sometime. The planet isn't right, to say otherwise at this point shows a lack of involvment in society.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

As I pointed out in my first post, your sources are obsolete. The data shows they were wrong.

I guess you didn't read, that those magnetic pathways can pull ridiculous amounts of energetic particles through them, when they need to, did you? Additional pathways "open up" when there is enough energetic particles to provide sufficient charge.
Isn't that just NASA propaganda about flux transfer events? I guess you don't understand that they have nothing to do with "charge" but with magnetic field connections.

Approximately every eight minutes, the two fields briefly merge or "reconnect," forming a portal through which particles can flow.

science.nasa.gov...

That's probably why the Earth is heating up this summer, and lightning storms are so common.
Why? Flux transfer events have been going on...forever, but they've been known about for a long time. Here's an article from 1979:
www.agu.org...
Here's one from 1973
www.agu.org...

I get outside fairly often. That's me on my avatar.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

My original source is newer. It answers the question posed in your article, "why does this only happen every 8 minutes". Your science, is outdated. Go ahead and read my source. It says 2012, not 2008.

That's the source in my original post. The one you still haven't read.

Regardless of how it gets here, the influx of energetic particles combined with the magnetic reversal of the poles could trigger an ice age.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

My original source is newer.

This one? It's the only one that says anything about cycle 24 being a strong one. And it is obsolete, it is from 2006.

March 10, 2006: It's official: Solar minimum has arrived. Sunspots have all but vanished. Solar flares are nonexistent. The sun is utterly quiet.

Like the quiet before a storm.

science.nasa.gov...

The sunspot data shows that this is the least active cycle in 100 years. You are wrong. Wrong. Wrong. See the wiggly line? That is the sunspot number. The actual data.

Regardless of how it gets here, the influx of energetic particles combined with the magnetic reversal of the poles could trigger an ice age.

Why? Your guessing is not science. It is guessing.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnarchysAngel
reply to post by Phage

You're not doing my thinking for me, nor are you going to convince me your propaganda is truth. You didn't even bother linking any. Why not?

I guess you didn't read, that those magnetic pathways can pull ridiculous amounts of energetic particles through them, when they need to, did you? Additional pathways "open up" when there is enough energetic particles to provide sufficient charge. That's probably why the Earth is heating up this summer, and lightning storms are so common. Try going outside sometime. The planet isn't right, to say otherwise at this point shows a lack of involvment in society.

don't listen to phage, he is a propagandist by nature. Something is truly going wrong with the planet and we all know it. Average temperatures over the past have been increasing. The weather patterns are strange and storms are increasing. Volcanic activities increasing along with more earthquakes. Fires, droughts and land masses sinking. On average over the years the Ice is retreating. Water currents in the ocean changed. Animal die offs all over the world. More and more people asking the same questions. WHY is this happening. For people that deny this, really need to open their eyes. WHY, because it is all getting worse. All the information out there just slamming you in the face. How can you deny it?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You really believe that NASA was telling us for so long that it would be a killer cycle, and then only after these prophicies came out, they've reduced their claims. You believe that? Despite the fact that the pictures of the Sun have been showing some pretty terrifing sun spots? The fact that they've been removed from existance while they were being discussed on ATS?

You really think that NASA is going to be honest with you? The prospect of an apocolypse would destroy the world long before anything from the Sun. The fallout of those prophecies is still being felt, despite the lies being cranked out of the world's space programs.

My main sources are all sufficiently covered. I'll admitt that the one explaining the transfer of the energetic particles was misleading, but that's not really my fault, and it really doesn't matter how it gets here.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

It's such a complicated theory to lay out and properly source.

For starts you have to get your facts right.

1. There is no magnetic highway for particles
2. Energetic particles are not pulled from the Sun
3. The solar wind particles do not warm the Earth
4. This is not the strongest solar cycle since 1755
5. The Sun does not use the Earth as a power sink for these particles
6. The Earth is not the closest planet with a magnetic field
7. The gas giants do have magnetic fields - why do you claim they are not conventional?
8. The Sun will not heat due to this. The Sun continues to heat up as it has over the age of the solar system.
9. There is no indication that anything happens to life on Earth when the Earth's magnetic field reverses

Obviously you chose not to use your sources and instead substituted many mistakes. Better start reading your sources to get the info right.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Despite the fact that the pictures of the Sun have been showing some pretty terrifing sun spots? The fact that they've been removed from existance while they were being discussed on ATS?

You really think that only NASA provides sunspot data? You really think there are more sunspots than what is being reported? You think nobody else observes the Sun?

How many sunspot cycles have you been observing? In your vast experience, do you think this has been an extreme cycle so far (in comparison to #23)?

What threads have been removed?

The Sun has been very calm in comparison to previous cycles.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Using out of date material leads to mistakes.

I see you choose to expand you list of mistakes.

Part of the Earth does heat up in summer. That is due to the length of the day. It has nothing at all to do with particles captured by the magnetic field of the Earth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join