Meet 'Rakshasa,' The Malware Infection Designed To Be Undetectable And Incurable

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So is this a ploy to make us buy new and improved technologies? Is it a way to phase out the older computers that they in all actuality cannot control against the privacy of the individual?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I use DAZ loader myself, got sick of calling india to get my 7 to work every few months. It's sad that people that pay like 400 for a OS, has more problems then the pirates. If it has affected my PC negatively, it is really good. PC and router firewalls have never found nothing suspicious. I would move to linux altogether and be done with windows, if the software I used supported it. It runs so much better than microsoft.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
computer viruses make me laugh.

they can be defeated by pressing the power button to off on your desk top.

maybe it makes you laugh, but not eCommerce people like me, who would loose the job immediately, the moment customer data gets compromised, or worse financial customer data

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Hmm there has been viruses capable of this since the internet. I know of a few that used to do this. Of course, they no longer work, since they used to work under XP anyways. Still, this idea of how the virus stays alive is not an new concept. It's as old as the internet itself. As a matter of fact, I think I "might" even still have such a virus on an old floppy. (I kept all my viruses.. I used to build them in a Lynx Lab back in the 80s to toy with. My own fun creations. Dont worry, they never seen another persons PC.

I'm not 100% but wasnt the Natus virus capable of this same ability? The one I am thinking of, used to hide itself in the old dial up modems. It could also do the same to bios, but pulling the battery usually fixed that pretty quick. Same with any other component. It'll only hold the memory so long as it holds a charge. Remove all sources and no more charge. Of course you'd have to format your HD right away, but pulling all power and battery from a PC should release the virus. The only thing it can "stay in" without power is the hard drive. Everything else wipes clean upon reboot.. But Bios does have a battery, so ya have to remove it and let it sit for probably 24 hours to assure you no longer have any left over information lurking in your system.

I dont ever expect to see a Virus among Viruses.. For every one you see, there will always be a counter or an improvement. They'll never just be one end all bug. Someone will always make better based off of old ideas. It only gets more advanced.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Actually, the term rakshas is a Sanskrit term that means entities that harass innocent beings, they are highly negative and oppose the very thought of existence of something that is good. Buddhism doesn't has much to do with it , it actually comes from texts of Hinduism but given that Buddhism comes from Hinduism it makes sense that Buddhism also derived this term.. Many of us westerners are made to belive that Hinduism and Buddhism are two independent religions when in fact, Buddhism is the next gen of Hinduism... Aid think its time we start knowing more about others in an accurate manner ...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by The X

So if im understanding you correctly no one else is saying that the windows patch you are talking about ( i assume is the Daz loader ) is infecting machines except you?

Im not saying you are wrong its just if there is other information out there about the DAZ loader or similar windows loader programs containing an advanced BIOS resident virus installed through patching SLIC tables then i would very much like to read it.

Maybe it is incidental and there is some other infection somewhere else, but even after buying ssd's and using DOD spec "Secure enhanced erase" to completely clean everything including the host protected area, on reboot a 50kb file appears everytime as if by digital magic.

I bought new motherboards eventually for ALL the pc's in my home this is how certain i was it was happening and couldn't be anything else, im not a software engineer, i have been called by the police in court "Highly Observant", maybe i am also a little paranoid at times, Please accept my apologies if i am wrong, but i am sure i have been seeing something for quite some time allowing unfettered access, and, my e-mail was compromised around the time the second hand machine came in, (No ram in it, so that was New/clean, and i changed the HDD for a faster brand new one), message from microsoft telling me the account has been compromised possibly as they detected spam coming from it.

Also i think i infected my dads machine within 12hours something had logged him off "You have been logged off" (he wasn't happy) and a remote re-boot was initiated, never could find the virus on it, even after help from the good guys and girls at Laurence abrams site "Bleeping computer".

Of course the transmission of infection is ALWAYS the users fault, and in this case the reason why it is now unremovable without the board being RMA'd is the dual bios setup gigabyte boards have, at some point the back up bios has been written to with the payload so now all you get from the board is bios+payload.
It also will not let you reflash the main bios with a clean file.

If you want the motherboard the infection is on, i have it here, if nothing shows up im more than happy to send it to you free of charge, gigabyte ep41 ud3l socket 775, i am pleased you are taking the time to look at this, even if it is only to call me a paranoid idiot later, i need to know.
(ill put "ATS's resident paranoid idiot" as a signature for a year if i am wrong)

Do you think DAZ being unwilling to release his source code is in anyway suspicious? and the fact it is heavily encrypted?, there were other boot loaders available before DAZ's for win 7 and they were discontinued and no longer supported, the boot loader had such penetration into peoples machines, and the amount of people who used it was enormous, it is the perfect route for maximum presence.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
In my opinion, that's almost as if computer design 'required' the ability to be infected.... so there's one conspiracy angle for you.

Why design a boat with a hole in it? So you can sell corks to stop the leak?

1 - yes so they can sell corks to stop the leak
2 - government needs their backdoor

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
If a man made it, a man can destroy it.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Microsoft sponsored FUD imho.

Microsoft are desperate to get their Trusted Computing crap into the mainstream, thereby eliminating ALL competition instantly.

The theory of Trusted Computing is that Microsoft will have to sign off on any code to be executed with a cryptographic key. Unsigned code just wont be allowed to run on the CPU. They have tried persuading hardware manifacturers to adopt it, and were rejected. They tried legislature, and were rejected, so are now trying FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt).

Dont get me wrong, Trusted Computing would block these, and all other viruses, the problem is, it would place microsoft in control of mine (and yours) pc. They would decide what Im allowed to run, and not allowed to run.

Such technology would also criple opposing OSs. Microsoft say they will sign off on Linux etc without issue, and they probably will, to appease people and get the technology trusted, at first. But for how long. Do you really trust them to keep signing their key to opposition made OS's? I don't.
edit on 28/7/2012 by BMorris because: typo

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I use DAZ loader myself, got sick of calling india to get my 7 to work every few months. It's sad that people that pay like 400 for a OS, has more problems then the pirates. If it has affected my PC negatively, it is really good. PC and router firewalls have never found nothing suspicious. I would move to linux altogether and be done with windows, if the software I used supported it. It runs so much better than microsoft.

An OEM Windows 7 license is usually $100 but sometimes you can get it for less. Individuals are not supposed to buy them for themselves, instead they are supposed to buy the retail version, but it's not like this is enforced. It's really not much when you consider the total cost of a computer. Up until a month ago I was using the Daz loader but I was not able to install updates, and after a while Windows was de-activated. So I bought it.
edit on 28/7/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

If you want the motherboard the infection is on, i have it here, if nothing shows up im more than happy to send it to you free of charge, gigabyte ep41 ud3l socket 775, i am pleased you are taking the time to look at this, even if it is only to call me a paranoid idiot later, i need to know.
(ill put "ATS's resident paranoid idiot" as a signature for a year if i am wrong)

I live in Australia and would like to have a look. I should have a spare socket 775 processor, some DDR2, HDD, videocard, and power supply somewhere. But only as long as shipping is under $20 USD.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

A few weeks ago I installed an update for IE8 from the Microsoft website.... I can't do anything with IE now... its totally locked down.... I cant find any virus and i cant uninstall IE8 because this thing is stuck on my computer... somewhere.....

BTW... does anyone know why anti-viruses produce new definitions every bloody day?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I have the "SMART data retrieval" virus on my pc and apparently with something else unknown as my computer guy cant figure it out and he and his father do work for the US Govt (GSA). Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by The X

Because the DAZ loader is the most widely used Microsoft loader in the world it has been very closely scrutinized by the boffins at MyDigitalLife. Especially by the Linux guys there. They have all said that it is safe to use.

But the possibility for abuse of this system of 'cracking' Windows certainly exists. Daz himself is very active on MyDigitalLife , maybe you should contact him with your concerns?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
DAZ loader works great. I can install windows updates and everything, but I also downloaded from a private website.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Oh, make sure you get your DAZ loader straight from the source.....
I wouldn't put it pas MS to be putting out infected DAZ loaders to torrent

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by Maxmars

A few weeks ago I installed an update for IE8 from the Microsoft website.... I can't do anything with IE now... its totally locked down.... I cant find any virus and i cant uninstall IE8 because this thing is stuck on my computer... somewhere.....

BTW... does anyone know why anti-viruses produce new definitions every bloody day?

Hi TruthxIsxInxThexMist there is a Computer help forum here at ATS if you want some help with this problem. Just make a post and we will see what can be done. Id go into it here but it's off topic from the OP

Anti virus programs bring out new virus definitions every few days because there are probably millions of virus's and trojans to deal with. so every few days they work out which ones are affecting systems the most and then instruct the program to scan for them. Also there are new viruses being crated every day than need to be added to the virus definitions list.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Yea this is certainly an issue that can compromise societal infrastructure which relies on internet and computer technology. this is basically a FUD RAT (fully undetectable remote access tools) which bypass all security measures. These already exist.

I believe that there's simply going to need to be massive overhaul of the computer industry. What are we going to do when FUD RATS can bring down society?

Highly regulate code writing software?

Remove all hacking tools and information from the internet?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Rakshasa:

in Hindu mythology, a type of demon or goblin. Rakshasas have the power to change their shape at will.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by The X

Because the DAZ loader is the most widely used Microsoft loader in the world it has been very closely scrutinized by the boffins at MyDigitalLife. Especially by the Linux guys there. They have all said that it is safe to use.

But the possibility for abuse of this system of 'cracking' Windows certainly exists. Daz himself is very active on MyDigitalLife , maybe you should contact him with your concerns?

I have seen them assuaging other people continuously that it is safe to use, the only way i would be completely satisfied is if he released the source code, it's not exactly propriety information, and the fact that this loader is now not being as actively supported as it was, what has he got to lose by releasing the encryption key.
I also have great trouble believing someone would do all this work out of the goodness of their heart, especially when a botnet of the potentiality the boot loader would give could earn some very big money.
He has point blank refused many times to release the source code.

I admit that i could be wrong about it, but i was sure enough to go and spend nearly £400 on new motherboards and drives.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Utopia2012
Yea this is certainly an issue that can compromise societal infrastructure which relies on internet and computer technology. this is basically a FUD RAT (fully undetectable remote access tools) which bypass all security measures. These already exist.

I believe that there's simply going to need to be massive overhaul of the computer industry. What are we going to do when FUD RATS can bring down society?

Highly regulate code writing software?

Remove all hacking tools and information from the internet?

The UK is about to pass a law making the ownership of "Metasploit" an offence punishable by a MANDATORY 2years for posession of it.
This actually cause much mirth amongst some programmers and hackers, it might even have been someone here who said "What are they going to do?, make API's illegal, because any hacker worth his salt can write a custom program that can do the same job and it will remain undetected for a while".

The programmers toolkit is extremely articulate, they cannot legislate against continually evolving language, to even try shows a real lack of understanding by those making the laws.
I honestly believe we are at a moment in time which we will never ever see again, right now, there are a bunch of people who would normally be outside the loop, actually maintaining it.
If these people realised how important it is for them to do for humanity what we all need to see, to provide evidence of the ongoing illegality and fraud that is perpetrated against us by governments and security agencies, it would be the best chance we ever have of realigning the playing field.
I hope it is a black hat with a psycho streak and an extreme dislike of government that writes the very source code of freedom.
I # you not, i pray for that daily, time is slipping by, the longer it doesn't happen, the less likely, it becomes that it will happen.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join