Olympic Opening Ceremony (LIVE THREAD)

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

I know it's being used as a distraction from the many problems we currently have in the UK, but wtf, we all need a bit of a cheer up - we can go back to criticising politicians and the self-serving system they abuse, the bankers, MSM and the elites etc when this is finished - for the next couple of weeks or so I'm going to watch TV, drink beer, (just for a change) and maybe even wave a Union Jack every now and then.

Here, Here

or

Hear Hear...

Whichever you prefer...

edit on 28/7/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

It wasn't too long ago when EVERY successful English football team had at least one or two Scots playing for them.
For some reason that talent never really transferred itself onto the international stage.

There have been various reasons put forward why there has been a decline in the standard of footballers coming out of Scotland.
I certainly don't know where the fault lies, but it's obvious their whole system requires an overhaul.

This farce surrounding Rangers won't be helping things.

Until recently Wales had been going through a bit of rough patch - perhaps The Scottish F.A. could ask their Welsh counterparts what they did to address their problems.

Whilst I can see the benefits of a UK league, and possibly even a permanent Team GB, I must admit I prefer supporting England - I don't think Platini and Blatter would let us have the best of both world's.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by bigyin

I would prefer to have seen a Scottish team instead of Team GB. Scotland is told by England it would not survive as a separate country

Many Scots believe that Scotland will struggle if independant or simply prefer to remain within The Union - you will get your chance to determine your own future when Salmond eventually let's you - until then why not just enjoy things as they are and cheer on Team GB regardless of what part of our United Kingdom they come from.

What are you all bickering about? The countries that you would identify with are all dead. Perhaps "New Africa" or "New Arabia" would be a good term for the lot of them. You likely already have special provisions and mandates already set up for minorities to encourage this. A minority is defined as "not you" if you are white. Silly to argue about the more socially acceptable lines in the sand when the people that they were meant to encompass are at deaths door regardless. Guilt, esteem, apathy, and identity are all useful playthings when destroying sovereignty. The Olympics has ushered in a new age of international citizenry where everyone will identify only with the grand authority. Give it a few years and all will be assimilated into the grand Borg collective and subjugated to its authority. Resistance is futile and destruction is immanent.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

A fair amount of the Scots playing in the English leagues were actually developed as youngsters in England. In fact, just look at the current Scottish squad, 7 players trained as Youths in England and currently, 13 play in England.

Scottish teams have a funding problem and simply can't compete with their English counterparts. If there was a UK wide league, the huge amount of money pumped into the English game would find it's way into their pockets. It has certainly helped transform lower league English clubs. I would love to see Celtic vs Man Utd, or my own team Reading vs Hearts, for example. The only thing stopping such a national league is nationalism.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotaneyed

What are you all bickering about?

Errr....don't think we are 'bickering', just having a bit of a discussion - maybe you should try and learn the difference.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogicallySpeaking
In this screen shot of a video posted on Huffington post:

we see one of the Olympic mascots dressed as the London Tower (?). The time on the clock reads 8:12. The closing ceremonies for the Olympics are held on August 12th (8/12).

Is this a foreshadowing of some type of "doom" to happen on that day?

So far, none of the conspiracies theories about the 2012 Olympics have panned out. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Link to the huff post video: www.tinyurl.com...

Big Ben was supposed to ring in the Olympics at 8.12pm (20:12) on the 24 hour clock, only someone didn't get the idea, cocked it royally up and it went off in the morning instead.

Anyway I take back my previous cynical tude to all this. I didn't get to see it all as I was running to and fro from pubs across the road from each other and managed to catch the last bit of some awesome rock band. What bit's I did see though combined with the whole atmosphere of the evening was delightful.

It's not often you can go anywhere these days without the feeling something might kick off, but never before on a friday night have I felt radiated from others such a warm and positive aura. It was like a silent group hug.

Proud.
edit on 28-7-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Joooy

Is that Camila parker bowles {Charlies wife} laughing in the background.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
All the negative comments.... What a surprise

Truth is, jealousy will kill you...

Very proud right now..

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by thebabyseagull

Yes it is..

As for the "Nazi salute", this is a still image so says nothing.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Jealousy, mixed with some warped disappointment that their false flag predictions never came true.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I predict (boom boom) that they will just rehash their theories, or somehow make out that "TPTB" changed their plans.....

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

This thread(well the earlier 30 pages) is testament to the madness that infects ATS. People having to have the whole ceremony described act by act to clear up the conspiracy theorists warped interpretation of the event. They seem to be able to find a sign or symbol in the most innocent of things. Mary Poppins coming from the sky is representing the descent of the nephlim and the emergence of the NWO or some other crap.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The ceremony was probably far better than us British expected with our national pessimism. I actually had a dream about the opening ceremony where all it was was a big buffet all the way round the stadium....!

Highlights for me were Daniel Craig and Liz, Rowan, and the forging of the rings....

Paul McCartney was rubbish though.!

You could probably find symbolism in there, but in all honesty, like others have said you can anywhere.......it was a great production for what is hopefully going to be great games!

Proud to be a Brit!!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well I laughed at the Rowan Atkinson bit and I'm not proud.
And some of it was quite breathtaking.

And I'm now supporting Equatorial Guinea in every event they compete it. All four of the team.
edit on 28-7-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)
edit on 28-7-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Indeed... This is the curse of ATS.. Lots of good content, but you have to hack your way through a significant amount of bollocks to get to it.

reply to post by spolvil

Same here! I've only seen a bit of it so far, but it looked A LOT better than I had ever thought. Even the Chinese were taken aback by it, if you read the comments in the People's Daily etc and for them to be impressed after Beijing, that is saying something.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Am not bothered about the foortball team per se, I'm talking about the whole of Team GB, and obviously there are Scots in it. Chris Hoy led the team round.

What am missing is NOT seeing the Scottish flag among all the others. Sure there is the Union Flag, but how many foreigners or even English people think that is the flag of England?

I doubt anyone will see the Union Flag and think of Scotland.

Of course there was no English or Welsh Flag either.

When I think about it maybe Danny Boyle could have incorporated the various flags from around UK into his masterpiece. Perhaps he did and I missed it.

If all these other tiny countries can show up and display their Flag and their dress then why not Scotland ?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

If all these other tiny countries can show up and display their Flag and their dress then why not Scotland ?

Pretty simple really - the Scottish athlete's are representing The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

All those other 'small' nations that you laud are independant - if Salmond let's you vote in time and if it's what you Scots want then maybe you will be parading the Saltire in Rio in four years time.

Nowadays it is actually quite rare to see The Union flag flown in England.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm not sure if said already but that ''nazi'' salute isn't a nazi salute but he was probably doing the Olympic salute -
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Not quite sure what your arguing for here..

You admit England , Wales and NI didn't have their flags.. So why should Scotland? Why treat you guys special? I have never understood this Scottish obsession with trying to promote your country above the rest of the Union, at the other countries expense.

It's Team GB, not Team GB with some Scottish people...

And no, "most English" don't think the Union flag is the English flag, what a silly thing to say! And if any foreigner thinks it is the flag of England, that is their own ignorance and nothing to do with the English at all.

If this was a person, not a country, you would think they had personal issues with a good measure of insecurity thrown in.

"Look at me! Look at me! Please tell me I am special!" Seriously, can we just drop the petty nationalism for a few weeks?

If it means that much to you, pressure Salmond to bring the vote closer. We all know he is putting it off though as he knows like the rest of us that the Yes campaign will fail and with it, the SNP.
edit on 28/7/12 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I'm telling you guys, that really was Winston Churchill waving at James Bond.

new topics
top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join