It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic Opening Ceremony (LIVE THREAD)

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by The X
No welsh players made the team either, how can it be "Team GB" with only "England" represented.
Makes me want to puke.

What are you talking about?

Are you mental?

Joe Allen, Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy, Aaron Ramsey & Neil Taylor.... ALL WELSH

I guess you haven't seen any of the football.... or know anything about team GB Football team

And we're ignoring...

TEENAGE taekwondo ace Jade Jones is hoping becoming the Welsh Olympian perfect 10 can inspire her to golden glory in London this summer.

Jones joins boxing pair Andrew Selby and Fred Evans, swimming quartet Jemma Lowe, Georgia Davies, Ieuan Lloyd and David Davies, sailor Hannah Mills, shooter Elena Allen and hockey star Sarah Thomas as official Welsh members of Team GB, while triathlete Helen Jenkins and rhythmic gymnast Frankie Jones are only awaiting official confirmation.

Read More www.walesonline.co.uk... jhcR

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Well I heard that no Scottish players were even in the running for the squad, but I'm sure that's just something they said after not being able to pick them.

Although apparently they weren't actually "blocked" from playing (the players) but I'm sure they were leant on.

Just stupid the whole thing.

We'll run together and swim and dive and shoot and hurdle and whatever else together... but we wont play football with you.

Like I said, I know that's not accurate... there are concerns FIFA will implement a permanent "Team GB" instead of allowing all nations to have separate teams.... but I'm pretty sure an agreement is in place now otherwise we would never have done it or jeopardised are own Identity.

Who knows.
edit on 28/7/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

And we're ignoring...

No, we're not.

We're talking ONLY about Football, not any other sports.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

That's the same logic as us saying "all Americans are thick as pig crap" based on the observation of a small data set. Or claiming that all Frenchmen are arrogant, cheese eating surrender Monkeys.

I also dispute the fact that it is the way she is perceived in the US at all, but rather what you and perhaps a few of your mates think because of a lack of a) interest and b) any attempt to educate yourself. From what many other Yanks say, the Queen is quite popular and comes across as a rather sweet old Grandma, which is all she is. She is a lovely lady, actually.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

FIFA can't do bugger all without the agreement of the Home Nations. That's the way it is setup. No rule changes can be done without the express permission of the FA's in the UK (little known fact, that). It is, after all, our game. Any "fear" of being amalgamated is entirely in the minds of petty nationalists.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

the Queen did not jump out the helicopter, such a thing would be absurd.

Poppycock. She jumped out of the helicopter with James Bond to show everyone how youthful and cool she is.

When she landed, it's obvious she madly sprinted inside the stadium in spirit of the Olympics.

What you didn't see was when Mr. Bean sang God save the Queen directly to the Royal family.
edit on 28-7-2012 by Utopia2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

So what's the crack then?

Why didn't we just have a GB team?

All four Nations?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
cool bit of info: i just learnt that the name bearers are wearing dresses with photos of all the name bearers.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I think it is because back when FIFA was formed we already had the national teams and even then, there were too few other teams so we made up the numbers with our 4. It has since stuck as the way things are done.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Utopia2012

Indeed, I can spot a wind up merchant when there is one

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I think it is because back when FIFA was formed we already had the national teams and even then, there were too few other teams so we made up the numbers with our 4. It has since stuck as the way things are done.

What I mean is if Wales and England could do it and there was no risk to us or any of the 4 nations losing their national team, why didn't they all just do it?

Weird.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

reply to post by acmpnsfal

That's the same logic as us saying "all Americans are thick as pig crap" based on the observation of a small data set. Or claiming that all Frenchmen are arrogant, cheese eating surrender Monkeys.

I also dispute the fact that it is the way she is perceived in the US at all, but rather what you and perhaps a few of your mates think because of a lack of a) interest and b) any attempt to educate yourself. From what many other Yanks say, the Queen is quite popular and comes across as a rather sweet old Grandma, which is all she is. She is a lovely lady, actually.

Lol, calm down man jeez. No, im not the only one that thinks this, its been discussed in the media pleanty you are taking this as a negative when its actually the reason a lot of people respect her, and while Americans view her favorably, nobody really cares about her day to day. Shes more or less like a celebrity to us and most people don't know much about her to be honest. Anywho heres a little tidbit for you.

She may or may not be an interesting person — there are different schools of thought on this point — but it doesn’t really matter. She isn’t supposed to be interesting, she is supposed to be steadfast, consistent, patriotic. And she is. At the end of the day, the queen is one of the few public figures who can always be relied upon to keep her emotions under control. She used to be mocked for her stiff upper lip, but no longer: In a world of kiss-and-tell books, vengeful memoirists and television confessions, her unrevealing face, reliable public smile and formal appearance make a welcome contrast. There are too many emotions on display in the public sphere at the moment, and it’s a relief that one celebrity, at least, can be relied upon never to show any at all.

Source
edit on 28-7-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Petty nationalism, plain and simple. The Scots especially hate the idea of a United team, whereas the idea has always had some traction in England. I think the scots fear that they wouldn't have many, if any players in the team because, let's face it, Scottish football is generally a step below the English leagues.

Disclaimer for any lurking nats: This is not an Englishman looking down on Scots, but just a plan and simple fact. Scottish football lacks the money and infrastructure to develop youngsters, unlike England which has many, many more clubs.

I have actually been a proponent of a UK-wide league, which would benefit Scottish football with a lot more money, but again this has always been stubbornly resisted by the Scottish FA.

England happily lets Welsh clubs play in the English leagues, they do quite well and it shows when you look at their national team and the quality of their players.

The Scots essentially are cutting their noses of to spite the face.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Also for any UK peeps, you can watch all the events here....

Including *cough* Beach Volleyball *cough*

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 28/7/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

She smiles all the time, don't be such a pleb.

I do believe that you have misconstrued her countenance for whimsy when she is in fact growling in those photos.

Here are some clearer images:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Well maybe that's one way of looking at it... I don't really know.

I've always thought that it would be good to have some Scottish teams in the Premier League... but whatever I guess, doesn't really bother me.

Now that Rangers are in the Scottish Third Division (the Equivalent of the Isthmian League or something) I very much doubt that will happen.

I dunno

Maybe everyone should have their own leagues?

I mean we only have 2 welsh teams right?

Wales still has their own league and plays in The European Cup Competitions so it's not exactly like "all" Welsh teams play over here... just a couple.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

It's more like 5 teams, but only 2 in the top "tiers" (Cardiff and Swansea). From what I understand, provided both the FA's agree, there is nothing stopping other Welsh teams playing in the English league. Likewise, some English clubs play in the Welsh league.

I think Cardiff and Swansea prefer the English league as the standard of competition is better, they make more money and get more prestige.

Rangers and Celtic should have, years ago, joined the same way and they would be much stronger for it.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I would prefer to have seen a Scottish team instead of Team GB. Scotland is told by England it would not survive as a separate country

Many Scots believe that Scotland will struggle if independant or simply prefer to remain within The Union - you will get your chance to determine your own future when Salmond eventually let's you - until then why not just enjoy things as they are and cheer on Team GB regardless of what part of our United Kingdom they come from.

I have had a negative approach to these games - I find it an insult that so much has been spent, predominantly in London and the South East, whilst the country is struggling with austerity cuts.
But with all the false flag / NWO etc threads and anti-UK sentiment being expressed recently I couldn't help myself starting to defend the games.
With The Games now upon us, and after Danny Boyle's imaginative and original opening ceremony, I am now looking forward to enjoying the sporting spectacle and cheering on the British competitors and hopefully some success.

I know it's being used as a distraction from the many problems we currently have in the UK, but wtf, we all need a bit of a cheer up - we can go back to criticising politicians and the self-serving system they abuse, the bankers, MSM and the elites etc when this is finished - for the next couple of weeks or so I'm going to watch TV, drink beer, (just for a change) and maybe even wave a Union Jack every now and then.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

We don't sing the national anthum everyday.
It is only sung at events such as this where the Queen is present and at football matches etc.

I remember staying with relatives in Canada and I went to school with my niece for the last week of term. They had speakers everywhere and we all had to sing their national anthum each morning. I notice from TV shows that there are similar speakers in American schools too so I assume they do the same?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
what I have seen from the opening of the Olympics was total simbolics .. like people holding the flag of the Olypics and swearing to this flag after had been entered the stadium by militiary personel. . it was just like the blood flag of nazi germany which would be hold by htiler in video clips i watched on youtube.
Almost a nwo event with this symbols and the way all was shown. should be shocked to see a new world currency called the Olympia

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join