It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American pleads guilty to trying to export missile parts to Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

American pleads guilty to trying to export missile parts to Iran

www.news.az

Telemi, a naturalized US citizen from Iran, had been indicted in 2009 along with Iranian national Davoud Baniameri, 39, also of California. Baniameri pleaded guilty last year and was sentenced to four years in prison.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.army-technology.com

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
A coverup or a legitimate issue with the never ending foreign spies within the US DOD/R&D sector? I am surprised as per why would someone even attempt at times like this to conduct defense related business with Iran. NK, Iran and few other countries are already on the $hitlist. The components to be exported without permission were related to the TOW and TOW2 Anti-Tank missile system produced by Raytheon.

www.news.az
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Sometimes the Americans goes totally overboard...

I can remember designing some industrial motor controllers, using IGBT's before the Gulf war. When the product came to production, and we wanted to order some of those specific IGBT's, we learned that those specific IGBT's were all of a sudden on the "Non-export" list, because they found the same IGBT's in some stuff they found in Iraq. Big deal, I just redesigned the controller, without using that specific IGBT that we could get from Japan.

There was the same issue in another project I designed, using an encryption device.

When things like that happen, you can just shake your head. Don't they know there are thousands of ways doing something?

I often read similar articles about Americans, selling something that "might be used for a nuclear device", and when I read the specifications of it, then I go, "duhhhh"... If I can't get that specific device, I can redesign my design to use something else....

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

True. There are times when it is more political than anything else. As a technical professional, I'm sure you can innovate and derive the functionality of a particular part on your own or obtaining through another country when it comes to the DOD related materials. In this case, it is political I believe since Iran has been in the news off lately. I'm sure there have been several deals made between companies overseas that have direct or indirect ties to the adversaries.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Shocking! How dare someone try and sell military equipment to a sovereign nation.

en.wikipedia.org...

That's the job of the government!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

]
reminds me somewhat of the PGP-saga.....

Criminal investigation Shortly after its release, PGP encryption found its way outside the United States, and in February 1993 Zimmermann became the formal target of a criminal investigation by the US Government for "munitions export without a license". Cryptosystems using keys larger than 40 bits were then considered munitions within the definition of the US export regulations; PGP has never used keys smaller than 128 bits so it qualified at that time. Penalties for violation, if found guilty, were substantial. After several years, the investigation of Zimmermann was closed without filing criminal charges against him or anyone else.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
looks like another unfortunate recipient of the american patsy award .... amerika grasping at straws still trying to find an excuse to invade iran ...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Zimmerman? Any relation to george? Conspiracy? Wtf? i remember this but forgot the name..

And hmm......sounds like fascism...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
reply to post by Hellhound604

Zimmerman? Any relation to george? Conspiracy? Wtf? i remember this but forgot the name..

And hmm......sounds like fascism...

It was Phil Zimmerman

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888looks like another unfortunate recipient of the american patsy award .... amerika grasping at straws still trying to find an excuse to invade iran ...
Nope it is easy to think that way. No country is stupid and invade another country based on 'espionage' or selling secret technology
(Otherwise I'm sure the entire world would pounce on China all at once for stealing patended technologies
)

This has been a problem since major world wars between several countries
Guess why? Because many countries(not all) does not spend a lot on R&D. Its just a co-incidence that the dude happened to be iranian dealing with iran. These sort of incidents have occurred several times with Chinese, Indian, Russian etc etc. Vice versa, US has been involved in espionage industry as well but generally(not all the times) they buy the technology outright and/or offer a hefty package to the company/individual into selling their product(s).
edit on 31-7-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join