It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New theory on Moon creation: Impact from object larger than Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Hey all,

Came across this today:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Which states a new theory suggesting that the moon was not created by an impact with an object about the size of Mars, but:

Now, Andreas Reufer, of the Center for Space and Habitability in Bern, Switzerland, and colleagues have run computer simulations that suggest another possibility: that a far larger and faster-moving body made an even more glancing blow with the young Earth.

Previous theories are discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not that I ever put credence into Nibiru or Planet X, this is quite a blow to that belief. Now I am not saying "Here it comes! Arghhhh!", as I am sure we would have detected such a body (whatever its composition), but it does go some way to backing the theory of a "wandering" planet, or a planet with a super long orbit, or whatever.

Make of it what you will!

CC
edit on 27-7-2012 by CrazyCloud because: Poor grammar!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
the moon IS THE OBJECT that hit us , think about it , its too big to stay ON the surface , its too big to move away from our pull.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RockLobster

The guys in the actual article would disagree, as the moon is mainly composed of the same isotopes as earth (especially oxygen and titanium) which means it 99% came from the earths own debris.

Cheers,

CC

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by CrazyCloud

Not that I ever put credence into Nibiru or Planet X, this is quite a blow to that belief. Now I am not saying "Here it comes! Arghhhh!", as I am sure we would have detected such a body (whatever its composition), but it does go some way to backing the theory of a "wandering" planet, or a planet with a super long orbit, or whatever.

Not really. About 4 billion years ago, the Solar System was still sorting itself out. Large clumps of matter, proto-planets or planetesimals, were colliding with each other. Some stuck together and formed planets, others did not. Under the mutual influence of gravity, these bodies either moved into stable orbits or were ejected from the Solar System. If there was a large planetesimal that collided with the Earth to form the Moon, it has either settled down or gone far away, never to return.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Interesting, I've got a question if anyone can answer it. Are there any moons in our solar system similar to ours? (Just grey/white dust ect) I've seen photos of titan and Mar's moons and it seems that no other moon really resembles ours. Then again, I haven't gone through all of Jupiter's and Saturn's moons which are what, at least 100 combined?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RockLobster

The moon does move away from the pull of Earth, if I'm correct, about an average of 2 inches a year, maybe two feet.

new topics

top topics

join