It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kittens eyes sewn shut in experiment.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I am rather uncomfortable with this as i am a massive cat lover. That said though, i still believe in testing on animals for medical purposes only - and that is what this seems to be.

Won't be long though until these practices are no longer needed. We almost have the tech right for doing away with any live test subjects. I would certainly envisage this being rolled out in the next 5 years (or shorter) based on current models (which are effective but only at the very top end).

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

There will be, as expected, conflicting views regarding this issue. Some will see animals, especially their pets, as creatures to love and adore, while others might seem them as mere tools, to be used by humans to sustain and advance ourselves. It is a tough conundrum for sure. In your case, it helped your son tremendously, and that is fantastic.

I don't see why it can't be both?

I love my dog, I have chickens, I have tortoises, I don't kill the snakes in my yard, and I don't mind when an owl or a hawk snags one of my chickens every now and then. I don't mind when the raccoons, and squirrels, and catepillars eat up some of my garden, I planted it bigger than I need just for that reason.

At the same time, I appreciate the work scientists are doing, and I understand the necessity for it. I also understand that some animals are farm-raised specifically to be FOOD. If we were not farm-raising them for food or experimentation, they might never have existed in the first place, so which is worse? Is it worse to never have been born, or to be born and live a relative short-life that helps others live better?

Along those same lines, what about the humane (I use that term reluctantly) societies that are killing dogs and cats daily? The animals are living as strays, doing fine for themselves, and then a dogcatcher comes along, picks them up (for their own good
), cleans them up, gives them shots, gets them checked out by the vet, doctors them up to be healthy, waits a week, and then intentionally kills them.
At least the scientific research is doing some good, these so-called humane societies are just committing mass murder for the their own good?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
People are mad because kittens are cute and many of us have them as pets. If this was done to rats or worms or fish nobody would care much, except PETA. The obvious questions is - would you be so outraged if this led to you or your child regaining vision lost in an accident or due to a birth defect?

These unfortunate things are necessary for the advancement of humanity, which eventually (in my opinion) helps advance the entire planet. I'm not talking just technologically advanced but also morally because as we advance we become less animalistic and more enlightened. I'd say we are way more advanced then we were 70 years ago and we treat we cats better today on the average. Go to a less advanced country and see how they treat animals. I just returned from the Dominican Republic and was shocked that none of the locals thought anything wrong about throwing rocks at dogs.

But I'm all for going about it in a less cruel way if possible.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It is not as horrible if you think about it. Kittens are not sapient, dont anthropomorphise them too much. They sure suffer when they feel pain, for example. But as long as the kittens in this experiment were properly anesthetised, fed and otherwise well treated, I doubt they suffered much because of a loss of vision for a few days.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
There are three soft spots for me... Children, the elderly, and animals. I can't believe someone who does this is considered human!!! It must have been terrifying for those kittens to wake up "blind"!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Human beings are not special or better than the other creatures of this planet.

You can try and justify these actions with "its in the name of science" all you want, doesn't change the fact that you are a horrible person and living in the past.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HiroProtagonist
Human beings are not special or better than the other creatures of this planet.

You can try and justify these actions with "its in the name of science" all you want, doesn't change the fact that you are a horrible person and living in the past.

So, we can assume you've never benefited from science? Never visited an emergency room, never taken a medication, never had a cavity filled or worn eye glasses, or had a stitch or a staple. No makeup? Pure Hare Krishna, Karma-free diet? No meat, no roots, no seeds? Never used bug spray around your house? Treated wood? Don't drive a car that ploughs thousands of bugs on each trip and pollutes the air?

Feel free to call us all horrible people if you can honestly attest to all of the above.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

You need to take off your blouse and cool down and not shut yourself off to what is happening in our world or put up an have your eye lids sewn shut and maybe have your fingers sewn together and maybe if you speak like you type maybe your mouth as well...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join