It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selective Outrage: How The U.K. Press Reacted To Obama’s Numerous Anti-British Gaffes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
OK, so this is what Romney said:

“The stories about the private security firm not having enough people…that obviously is not something which is encouraging,” he said.

boston.cbslocal.com...

Because this is what the Security company said previously:

as G4S chief executive admitted two weeks ago that he could not guarantee the firm’s promised number of trained and screen security guards.

boston.cbslocal.com...

It does seem to be blatant media bias. Blowing this small comment way out of context in order to bash Romney.

So how is that insulting London or bad?

It shows a real concern to me and apprantley it is a concern echoed by London because they called in:

Almost 7,000 British military troops were called in last minute to provide additional security,

Its very simple. British society is very self deprecating but does not appreciate others from outside attempting to belittle our efforts.

Basically, its not ok to just come to the country and slag us off. Its ok for us to do it but not Romney.

As an aside, you may find this interesting. Dinner with Romney slashed from $25,000 to $1,000 - sounds desperate!

order-order.com...
edit on 27-7-2012 by citizenx1 because: forgot the link!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

...but not our language :p

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by citizenx1

So little London got your feelings hurt...who's playing victim now?

When you are hosting people from all over the world and are responsible for their safety be prepared to be questioned....it's not just Brits who are in danger if something happens...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

So little London got your feelings hurt...who's playing victim now?

When you are hosting people from all over the world and are responsible for their safety be prepared to be questioned....it's not just Brits who are in danger if something happens...

Not the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is that Romney has no business representing the US on the world wide stage. Just like Palin had no business, and Obama fell flat for his first two years making apology and gaffe after apology and gaffe.

Hell, Say what you will about Bush, but he puked on people and still represented our country better than these clowns.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

I'm not hurt, i'm not even slightly bothered! The G4S issue was a shambles but that isn't what we're really discussing.

The OP asked why the papers are so against Romney, i'm just telling you why they and the general public as a whole do not appreciate what he said.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

He never said he was representing the US...that was assigned to him because he is the assumed nominee (not final yet). He was voicing concern for everyone at the Olympics.

Any citizen of any country involved in the Olympics has that right.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

He never said he was representing the US...that was assigned to him because he is the assumed nominee (not final yet). He was voicing concern for everyone at the Olympics.

Yes, absolutely they have the right. Doesn't mean it will go uncriticised.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

And I am saying that is to darn bad if feelings are hurt...the papers are using this to bash Romney over hurt feelings when the important thing is the safety of those at the Olympics.

The message was right even if you hate the messenger.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

And I am saying that is to darn bad if feelings are hurt...the papers are using this to bash Romney over hurt feelings when the important thing is the safety of those at the Olympics.

The message was right even if you hate the messenger.

I accept that is what you are saying. Feelings aren't really hurt - you can consider the response a big middle finger gesture to Romney!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

What I'm seeing is;
Romney said some supid stuff.
The British tabloids reported it.
The US news reported that the British tabloids reported on it.
The British news is reporting that the US news is reporting on it.
The US news will report that the British Press won't stop talking about it.
The British news will report that the US news won't stop talking about it.
(meanwhile, aliens landed and took the royal family to planet Greebly)
The US news will claim that the UK is outraged by showing all the news reports in the UK.
The UK will report that the election is over because the US won't stop talking about Romney in the UK.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hi Beez,

It really wasn't stupid...the British press is just portraying it that way because Romney said it...check my previous post for what he said....not stupid at all...quite called for.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Hi Beez,

It really wasn't stupid...the British press is just portraying it that way because Romney said it...check my previous post for what he said....not stupid at all...quite called for.

How about if David Cameron (or more appropriately in this circumstance - Ed Miliband) came to the US and remarked that the nation can't even protect its citizens watching a movie.

Would that offend you? Would the US media go crazy?

Damned sure it would.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'm British and I've come across plenty of support for Romney over here.

Although whether it's true support for Romney or just a reaction against Obama, I'm not sure...

Obama's term has disappointed the British, it's fair to say.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Hi Beez,

It could have been akin to the Gettysburg Address.
They would have nailed him anyway.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
I'm British and I've come across plenty of support for Romney over here.

Although whether it's true support for Romney or just a reaction against Obama, I'm not sure...

Obama's term has disappointed the British, it's fair to say.

Thats true, he's done bugger all on the global stage.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Not the same comparison at all.....fail

The movie was not an international event that was responsible for the safety of numerous citizens from numerous countries....Cameron had no stake in the safety of US citizens at that theater...now if a British citizen were killed there...I would expect him to say something in defense of his citizen.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Can I just say as a brit, that I couldn't give a rats ass what any us politician has to say about the UK because US politicians are the same as british as in the way to tell they are lying..... their lips are moving.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Not the same comparison at all.....fail

The movie was not an international event that was responsible for the safety of numerous citizens from numerous countries....Cameron had no stake in the safety of US citizens at that theater...now if a British citizen were killed there...I would expect him to say something in defense of his citizen.

Doesn't matter, he'd be free to say it. You're just playing semantics and it doesn't wash with me.

If you want to play that game though - *nobody* has died due to London 2012. Not a single person.

link   
It is funny the way the British establishment went all weak at the knees for Obama. The Queen was rolling out all the special treats for the Obama's. The kids got a go in the horse drawn carriages around the palace grounds.

Mitt Romney certainly doesn't have the charisma that Obama has. Obama looks a lot more comfortable behind the camera, while Romney looks a little shifty. These are just obvious human attributes.

I like most have been disappointed with Obama, but we don't vote in American elections, so it matters not what our opinion is. But, from a purely personality aspect, which is all we care about really, Obama comes across a lot more personable. I'd rather leave my pet dog with the Obama's over the Romney's.

link   

He doesn't have to say that he is representing the US, the fact is that he IS representing the US at this time.

Voicing concern for everyone at the Olympics? What about everyone in Myanmar, or the Congo, or Gaza, or Afghanistan, or Colorado, or the border states that we can't protect? Being a guest in another country, politicizing the visit, and then criticizing a hypothetical while ignoring ongoing REAL problems seems highly inappropriate to me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join