It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The devil proof reading the bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
My wife found this painting for sale on eBay, and I couldn't resist...

Proof Reader, the devil proof reading the bible painted by Todd Hamilton, acrylic paint on illustration board.

Source

I did some googling, and could find zilch on Todd Hamilton. Any one familiar with this artist?

My question is, what was the artists intention? Is he insinuating the devil himself wrote it?

edit on 7/26/2012 by Klassified because: First question was moot...

edit on 7/26/2012 by Klassified because: correction

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

"Ah, yes, my faithful servants have done me well. It is a masterpiece. Delusion, lies, deceit, hatred, propaganda, disinformation... yes, it is the perfect recruitment manual, better than anything I could of conjured up myself. Well done my fellow hell dwellers! Well done!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. That is a great picture though, lol.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Thought-provoking indeed.

Perhaps he's curious to find out what the man upstairs said about him?

I guess if I were the antagonist in a book, I'd want to know exactly what people were saying about me.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Dude I'm jealous. Kind of creepy though. He kind of looks like the green goblin from spider man. Great find. One of a kind I'm sure

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Check out this Todd Hamilton masterpiece! Perfect for many on ATS, lol

Todd Hamilton original acrylic painting

With that in mind, I wonder if this is your guy: Todd Cameron Hamilton, science fiction artist.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Amazing artwork friend. Dark Knight your avatar looks like he's doing a little something under his cape if you catch my drift...hahahahaha Watching it makes me laugh. Good stuff.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I think you found him.
At least it seems to be the same guy from that little bio.

Another interesting work. The alien is picking the guys pocket with his fourth hand.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

LOL!

Seems, judging from the title "Proof Reader", that he's part of a team. I can think up some other "captions" that would change the 'meaning':

"Cramming for Finals"

"Checking the Manual"

"Spy Games"

"When All Else Fails..."

"The Latest Edition, Still No Updates"

"Library Reference Use Only"

It's hilarious, really. But, given that the title is what it is, and named by the Artist, it seems to mean "God" gave it to him for a final check for errors. ???????

Or yeah, I don't know. The guy is a science fiction artist, and apparently, according to this brief professional bio, he's my age....right on, brother!

Todd Cameron Hamilton, first became known to SF fandom as the talented artist that he is in the late 70s, while still a high school student. He won many awards, was the top selling artist at the Chicago World SF Convention in 1982, and has actually made a living from his artistry.

He has done book covers, cover and interior art for Analog. He has done illustrations for various books, including the guides to Pern and Amber. He illustrated a series of Star Trek juveniles, and has done many other projects.

He was also the president of ASFA, the Association of Science Fiction Artists for several years, and did a lot for that organization.

www.conclavesf.org...
Check out the picture of him....very telling grin on that young man!!
I'd say he's got a brazen style, indeed.
However, since he appears to be a very popular "illustrator" (cover art for SF books, interior art for others) more than anything, it would be necessary to know the book for which this was painted (if it was), and to discover the book author's premise.

It's one thing to come up with a provocative image and title it yourself, presented as a unique and visual stand-alone message -- and quite another to "illustrate" someone else's message.

Still, good laugh...! Interesting. I'll do some more digging to see if I can ID the origin for this image (whether his own idea or a depiction of another's idea).

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Wildtimes, you are a gem. Kudos to you and adjensen for finding that page on him that somehow I missed in my own searches. I would be interested in whatever else you find.

edit on 7/27/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Hey, Klass....
little bit further digging, and it turns out there is a companion piece for sale as well:
www.ebay.com...
entitled "Rune Scribe"

Very little info on the pieces, but the link above gives 3 images. The piece is a candle in a stick, a feather, a calculator with rune digits, and a sheet of paper with various "scribbles"....really interesting.

Original/Reproduction: Original
Medium: Acrylic
Listed By: Dealer or Reseller
Subject: Science Fiction
Signed?: Signed
Date of Creation: 1970-1989

This is a magnified image of a thumbnail. Sorry my skills are lame....

edit on 27-7-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Proof Reader, the devil proof reading the bible painted by Todd Hamilton, acrylic paint on illustration board.

Source

I did some googling, and could find zilch on Todd Hamilton. Any one familiar with this artist?

My question is, what was the artists intention? Is he insinuating the devil himself wrote it?

Im familiar with this artist. Nothing implied....he just has a strange sense of humor and a stranger imagination!
He was VERY prolific for about 15 years then just dropped off the map. He workrd WITH Anne Mccaffery, Piers Anthony, Roger Zelazny and many many covers and interiors for Analog magazine and many others. He had the exclusive contract to illustate the Star Trek juvie novels from Simon and Schuster as well. You can see his work on the Facebook page The Weird World of Todd.

By the way, Im Todd (waves hi).
Thanks for rescuing this oldie but goodie and I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it. If there's any way to get a good photo of it I would love to add it to my archive. Best, TCH

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Source

Im familiar with this artist. Nothing implied....he just has a strange sense of humor and a stranger imagination!
He was VERY prolific for about 15 years then just dropped off the map. He workrd WITH Anne Mccaffery, Piers Anthony, Roger Zelazny and many many covers and interiors for Analog magazine and many others. He had the exclusive contract to illustate the Star Trek juvie novels from Simon and Schuster as well. You can see his work on the Facebook page The Weird World of Todd.

By the way, Im Todd (waves hi).
Thanks for rescuing this oldie but goodie and I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it. If there's any way to get a good photo of it I would love to add it to my archive. Best, TCH

top topics

join