It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Carlin's Greatest Moment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
No matter what happens one thing is certain.

We will NOT be able to say we weren't told.

There have been many people who have tried, ohhh Lord how they've tried.

The problem is ego.
It always has been and always will be.
Our God damned EGO is the root cause of EVERY ill on this planet.

In this case,
Most people's ego will NOT let them entertain the notion that they've been played for a fool their entire lives and that
everything they thought they knew is wrong. EveryONE they thought they knew, they don't.
People's ego will literally NOT ALLOW you to stray too far off track without reeling you back in.

Once you learn to kill Kill KILL that godforsaken thing, the whole world will open up to you and you will
once again be allowed to think your own thoughts and entertain possibilities no matter HOW many people think you are crazy for doing so.

Be warned, there IS no going back!

edit on 27-7-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

Originally posted by openlocks
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

No, he was right especially about religion. It is nothing but a purveyor of ignorance, intolerance, hatred and violence. "Love all", they say right before, "or else you will go to eternal hell". Lol...

i always think about "that" part of religion as that point in history when that one really crazy hateful fanatical individual got his hands on the bible and wrote "and if you don't you go to h*ll" right as they were about to make more bibles.

i think that whoever that was, they really corrupted the religion up....

i believe G exists and that G is a really nice and smart all powerful awareness that watches your back and protects you and teaches you, and decides certain things for certain reasons, as well as punish you accordingly when your being bad....

but i don't think anybody should have to suffer forever.

(but we really don't know how things work, that is until we... finish)

peace ^_^

(just my opinion)

Hey, believe whatever you like. I don't care if you believe Purple Unicorns carried the Earth to this point in space inside of a manger that had a cross on its side. If it makes you happy, cool. Just don't go around forcing that stuff on me and everyone else, and telling us we are delusional and hell bound because we haven't read your comic book, that is what leads to wars.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
It is a fine Carlin moment, it is not a fine moment for the audience. The audience, upon hearing the horror of the truth, hooted, clapped and laughed. And while Carlin delivers the truth in a slightly humorous way - far less funny and more serious then usual, the audience response is horrifying to me. It should have sent them into tears, instead the laughter at their own enslavement is sad. It could be gallows humor, but I doubt it, instead people just don't see the truth even when presented.

I understand your feelings, but we have to take a more organic understanding of these things... as well as a long term view.

The people Carlin is speaking about don't think in single lifetimes. We have been "trained" in a world of such instant turnaround on *some* things, that when we watch something like this happen and see an audience not leave it outraged and storming the castle, we have to pause and take a deep breath and think longer term.

Look at how much more the seed of that one night has continued to spread through the years. Add in Bill Hicks, Alan Watts, or whatever other person was showing people through humor or analogy what is right in front of them. The organic nature of the universe always erodes and consumes any mechanical structure we put in place.

These seeds were planted, and that audience hasn't forgotten it and it's only continued to spread. Natural systems operate on a critical mass manner. A mixture will continue to saturate and saturate with "information" with nothing seeming to happen, and then a certain point is reached and a certain catalyst is introduced and the entire thing transforms in a seeming instant.

What would the audience have been able to do then? I guarantee many of them went home saying "you know... he has a point" and probably talked to others, even if to say how funny yet true it was. Maybe the next time they saw a news report they had a slightly less immediate belief in its truth, etc. Many of them might very well be current "truth seekers" on the internet in whatever path they've become most intrigued by.

It takes an unfathomable number of water molecules to erode a mountain... all hitting one at a time. Occasionally the conditions are right for a landslide, but the day to day "work" is done seemingly invisibly and without fanfare.

Namaste!
edit on 2012/7/27 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedComet

What is a person if they have nothing to believe in and no hope? They are lost people. For example, Ghandi was a man of peace, and he used three different religions to promote his message of peace and non-violence, Hinduism, Muslim, and Christian. He took the best message that each of those religions had to offer and left the rest.

Religion, when used properly, gives people hope and enough faith to move mountains.

Religion, when used properly, builds things and doesn't destroy.

But make no mistake, when misused it does do a lot of damage also. People tend to focus a lot on the bad things in their life far more than they do the positive.

I think that of people would learn to do the opposite, society would be much better for people and you wouldn't see so much vitriol between the masses.

edit on 27-7-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: fixed grammar

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Be warned, there IS no going back!

Truer words were never spoken.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I also subscribe to the Carlin voting stance. Those who stay home on election day are not responsible for the perpetuation of the broken SSDP (same snip different president) system, its those who vote who are to blame. Honestly I wish I could convince everyone in America to just stay home on election day, just imagine the message that would send to our politicians.. but then I'm just a cynical dreamer

RIP George Carlin, not just a comedian, but a working-man's philosopher

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by TheRedComet

What is a person if they have nothing to believe in and no hope? They are lost people. For example, Ghandi was a man of peace, and he used three different religions to promote, Hinduism, Muslim, and Christian. He took the best message that each of those religions had to offer and left the rest.

Religion, when used properly, gives people hope and enough faith to move mountains.

Religion, when used properly, builds things and doesn't destroy.

But make no mistake, when misused it does do a lot of damage also. People tend to focus a lot on the bad things in their life far more than they do the positive.

I think that of people would learn to do the opposite, society would be much better for people and you wouldn't see so much vitriol between the masses.

First of all, you are going to have to give me some evidence that Gandhi took anything from Christianity or Islam. I have studied this man quite in depth and I have seen no evidence for what you said. Gandhi did great things, his methods of sacrifice as agents of social change were awe inspiring, but he was also an arrogant prick who refused to sit down with true sages like Ramana Maharshi and Jiddu Krishnamurti. Remember he was not killed because of his rebellion against govts., he was killed when he attempted to join government with his own party.

Now, you asked: "What is a person if they have nothing to believe in and no hope?", they are still a human just like you. The absence of hope is not the affirmation of despair, the absence of belief is not the affirmation of loss. Those are polarities, there is a middle to everything. I choose to dwell in the middle, that is where the most peace and balance is, I have found. I choose not to carry around beliefs about life because I realize I am not separate from life, I am life, so what use is beliefs about life when I am life and life is happening? What use is hope when all possibilities are here, now, waiting to be realized? Hope and belief is for the mind that is lost, the mind that feels separate from life, from its source. That's how I see it at least.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by openlocks

Ghandi himself says he his religion is Hindi, Muslim and Christianity.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I literally cried when George Carlin died.....
This segment is one of my favorites
Because
YES
He NAILED IT!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

What if you vote but put in a write in name, like say Ru Paul?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
There's not many about today who can wake people up and the ones who are trying keep getting slated and accused of being liars.
Then again. Hasn't that always been the case ?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

You have to go back to the 70s. His material changed. Some of his shows he's tired and they're not that great and if you keep researching you suddenly don't see character humor that 90 percent of the people are laughing at because they're high or drunk at these events. You enter his mind and he really channels something every single time. he wasn't a comedian. He was purely a philosopher. He never seem threatening to the system but rather toyed with mocking in fun until these past few years. then he has a heart attack. I know he had a history of heart problems but damn, makes you wonder.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join