It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That is very COOL!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
"It's getting space research into new hands"

Lot's of hands actually....

Last month, the group started a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter, a website that solicits donations from the general public. Their initial target was $35,000. When the campaign wound down last Sunday, the tally stood at $106,330. Those donations came from 676 backers around the world. The single largest contribution came from CatN, a British internet hosting company that paid $10,000. But the majority of donations were from private space enthusiasts, says Jeroen Cappaert, an aerospace engineer on the NanoSatisfi team. Those who paid at least $325 have the chance to design a custom experiment using ArduSat’s sensors. (Smaller contributors can use the satellite to take pictures or broadcast a personal message.) The team is also working out how best to spend the extra $65,000 their Kickstarter campaign netted. Ideas include expanding the dimensions of the existing satellite, or building additional ones.

This is really cool, I like the fact that those 676 people will share to discover their own information, I like it.
It shows people can move together in positive directions, if that's what their into of course, but the sharing is cool.

I reckon they should do another one straight up, it's clear there is a great interest for it, as in being able to do this for yourself if you wanted to, good job guys

You essentially get to include your own experiments, own measurement on what it is you are interested in, but I'm sure that every one would share their individual findings as well.

NanoSatisfi has to build a satellite that will survive not only the rough trip to space, but also the harsh environment it will find once it gets there. The tiny package doesn’t allow room for backup components, so both the hardware and the proposed experiments have to be tested exhaustively. If all goes well, the team hopes to have ArduSat in orbit in about a year. If successful, ArduSat may open the doors to further crowdsourced missions, bringing space science into yet more hands — possibly even yours.

You can read the rest here but I should think there would be some nerds (x) here on ats that would dig this very much.

link

Still one of my favourite sites.

Thanks for listening

What is it you would measure if you could?
Please give it to me in idiots terms though

edit on 26-7-2012 by AussieAmandaC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
That is pretty cool. Good find. Thanks.

That website looks interesting too, bookmarking it.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
lol
lol:

I just realised I put it in the freshman's forum, that is a classic!

Mods please leave it there, I like it.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC
lol
lol:

what a noob.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC
lol
lol:

what a noob.

knob sprung to mind

Ta but.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Awesome,amanda.

To cool.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Hey there K nice new face, how's the ole boy doin lately?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

He is doing just grand,I chat with him almost everyday.
He has been spreading his "wisdom" over at the chani project.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
So cool!

I think, I can't remember if I read this post or not.

join