It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do people really think this about athiests?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Dear SpearMint,

2. It IS drummed in to most Christian kids, they're not given a choice, they're taught that it's what happened and it's taught as fact. From an early age they're taught that they are right. I should know, I went to a Christian school until grade 6, by then I had already made up my mind due to my ability to think away from the crowd and make decisions based on evidence and logic. You can't deny that this is true, maybe not all, but certainly the majority.

I want to get this straight. You were beat upon to become a believer so it is okay to paint all believers in that manner. Why should every person who calls themselves a christian have to pay for the mistakes you mother and father made? I didn't try and convert you. Believe whatever you want.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear SpearMint,

2. It IS drummed in to most Christian kids, they're not given a choice, they're taught that it's what happened and it's taught as fact. From an early age they're taught that they are right. I should know, I went to a Christian school until grade 6, by then I had already made up my mind due to my ability to think away from the crowd and make decisions based on evidence and logic. You can't deny that this is true, maybe not all, but certainly the majority.

I want to get this straight. You were beat upon to become a believer so it is okay to paint all believers in that manner. Why should every person who calls themselves a christian have to pay for the mistakes you mother and father made? I didn't try and convert you. Believe whatever you want.

First of all, I'm not talking about my experience, it happens everywhere, I've seen it. To deny this is ignorance.
Secondly, I clearly said it may not apply to all Christians.
Thirdly, my Mother and Father made no mistakes, and what are you talking about "have to pay"?

People can live a kind, caring, fun, fulfilling and successful life without fairy tales getting in the way, Christian kids are taught otherwise before they can make their own decisions, because of that it's hard for them to consider anything else. You cannot deny this, it's what happens in Christian families and Schools.

I'm not even an Atheist, I don't have a strong opinion on whether there is a God or not. However, I strongly disagree with the way Christianity teaches people that everyone else is wrong, everyone else will go to hell and suffer for eternity, and yet all too often Christians have the gall to call others ignorant, blind, regardless of the complete lack of evidence or logic behind their self righteous religion. Again, this doesn't apply to everyone.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

You should see some of the posts in the religion forum, where there's a lot of threads about how atheists can't be this or atheists can't be that or how atheists can't be moral or can't be good people because they don't believe in God. Not to mention all the rotten dirty tricks and traps they use to put down and define atheists and dirty rotten evil people.

It's really disheartening to see all of this vitriol about atheists.

And the sad thing too is these people are just repeating dogma that they've been told, and don't check into things themselves.

So yes, there's a lot of Christians out there who truly believe the crap they're spouting. It's sad, really.

So on behalf of all Christians, I apologize for the brethren who continually demonize you. It shouldn't be done, really, and it really shouldn't matter what another person believes. people should be allowed to live their own lives and not be forced to conform to a singular way of though and a robotic way of life.

I am sorry that it is done at all.

The bible says love thy neighbor. It doesn't say love thy neighbor unless they're an atheist, and it certainly doesn't say constantly demonize a person just because they don't want to believe. The bible is about charity.

You don't win minds and change hearts by spouting out a lot of insults and slurs. You win hearts and change minds by example, and treating people with kindness and respect.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

You should see some of the posts in the religion forum, where there's a lot of threads about how atheists can't be this or atheists can't be that or how atheists can't be moral or can't be good people because they don't believe in God. Not to mention all the rotten dirty tricks and traps they use to put down and define atheists and dirty rotten evil people.

It's really disheartening to see all of this vitriol about atheists.

And the sad thing too is these people are just repeating dogma that they've been told, and don't check into things themselves.

So yes, there's a lot of Christians out there who truly believe the crap they're spouting. It's sad, really.

So on behalf of all Christians, I apologize for the brethren who continually demonize you. It shouldn't be done, really, and it really shouldn't matter what another person believes. people should be allowed to live their own lives and not be forced to conform to a singular way of though and a robotic way of life.

I am sorry that it is done at all.

The bible says love thy neighbor. It doesn't say love thy neighbor unless they're an atheist, and it certainly doesn't say constantly demonize a person just because they don't want to believe. The bible is about charity.

You don't win minds and change hearts by spouting out a lot of insults and slurs. You win hearts and change minds by example, and treating people with kindness and respect.

If only all Christians were like you, you're the kind that I respect.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by AQuestion

I have a problem with so called "sentience."

If GOD is a universal force, which I believe it is, it is not aware of us, imo, any more than gravity is, or any other universal force. My "GOD" is mathematical and not personified with human emotions, just IS.

Dear windword,

I believe you are looking at reality with a backwards approach. I think most people do. We should start with what we do know rather than what we believe the world is. This is a provable approach. I feel and experience, therefore I exist. I can think and symbolize thoughts, therefore I can understand more than just my experience. The next question should be obvious, "Am I the only sentience in the universe, am I alone?" If I am alone, how can I make the best of an eternity of solitary confinement? If there are others, are there others that know more than I do? The next one is about God, "Is there any sentient being that gets it all?" Answer them as you will. Peace.

Fair enough. So, lets look at things in a different direction.

I am unaware of the cells multiplying in my body, though they are part of my body. If GOD is natural, a great big body encompassing all that is, like me, it is unaware of me, and my endeavors in life.

I don't see GOD as the creator, but as the whole of creation.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

I don't feel that way..but, I'm not a Christian. I'm not an atheist either for that matter.

Judgemental people are everywhere, every religion, race, economic class etc...has them. These are the very people who find it necessary to thrust every single one of their beliefs upon anyone within earshot, and they will justify their ignorance until they find you curled in the fetal position weeping for sweet death just so you don't have to listen to their verbal diarrhea.

I find it easier to just smile and nod, all the while mentally picturing a large strip of good old silver duct tape plastered across their mouth.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
Most people dont care about die hard athiests, or about die hard religious people. Both sides are crazy to a degree, and both sides need to understand that the rest of us dont care about both of you. Beleive what you want and stop crying about how crazy and misunderstanding each side is. Youll be alot happier if you can handle that.

I think there is 2 kind of people on this planet. The ones who can look beyond dualistic views (and conditioning) and do not judge according to what a person believe but how he/she behaves and the ones who belive they know everything and everybody should think as them (and these people are caught up in themsleves/their group and cannot understand other peoples thinking). I am in the group that are a bit caught up in myself preaching that people should join the first group. And yes from my own point of view I am an biggoted asshole preaching that people should not be biggoted assholes like me

I have a father that is atheist. He has a way of looking at life and nature that in itself is very spiritual and he is extreamly wise and perceptive in his way of understanding the world/society around him. I am a person who found god a few years ago but I am still questioning all religions because from my point of view they are all a bit badly explained and that makes the followers able to interpet them in a way where they are caught up in duality/ego.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
reply to post by AQuestion

I suppose it depends on which side of the spectrum you're coming from; if you believe that god's existence is default, then denial of god is a leap of faith, and vice versa. Personally, I believe that there is a force of creation, like a god if you will, but that there is no way it would have personified or anamorphic characteristics; i.e. it wouldn't belong to any gender or concern itself with the affairs of man. In truth, god is us and we are god; we're made up of the same matter which came from creation. Like I said, though, I'm not exactly an Atheist, but I can't bring myself to believe that any god would care for mankind any more than it cares for the rest of creation. And it definitely does not have a gender.

Lol. And you say you are not a believer of god. You are just from my point of view preaching nonduality driven god that I can find both in Jesus teaching, Buddhas teaching and Bhagavad Gita.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Thank you, I appreciate the comment, but I am not Christian.

I'm more like A Deist.

Right now though, there's still a lot of details I'm trying to sift through.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join