It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do people really think this about athiests?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I was on CNN and found a story titled My Take: CNN readers' 7 answers to 'Where was God in Aurora?' It's an utter joke of an article in which the writer "explores" why gods don't intervene with the matters of man. It was a stupefying read, to say the least, but the comments section really shocked me. As soon as I scrolled down I came upon the following comment:

Atheists = Anti-American

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:

† Atheism is a religion that makes you angry, stupid, brainwashed, ignorant & blind.
† Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
† Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet atheists)
† Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
† Atheists are misguided and causes problem in our religious & public society.
† Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
† Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
† Atheism making you agree with Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler (denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders who killed religious people because of their religious cult!
† No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
† Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
† Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
† Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
† Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
† Most atheists are uneducated... No atheists could run for presidency.
† Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
† Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
† All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
† The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
† Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
**Only 2-3% of the U.S. are atheists/agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

PS! the USA is a † nation and will always be. You know it's true and stop being ignorant and arrogant!!
(Take a look at our federal/state holidays, 99% of our presidents, blue laws in parts of the nation, the majority of people, some laws, calendar, culture, etc.)
rightremedy.org...

At first I thought it was sarcastic troll post because it's so awful and void of all intelligence, but then I realized the commenter was quoting scripture and posting links to back up his claims.

This kind of narrow minded bigotry really makes my blood boil. Do people really think these things? I'm not even a full-on atheist, though I do identify with some aspects of atheism, and I'm still appalled by this. How can someone possibly be so dumb and call other people ignorant?

America may have been founded on Christian ideals, but last I checked, the Europeans fled here to escape religious persecution. As a result, they wanted to build a nation where people couldn't be persecuted for harboring or rejecting certain beliefs; they didn't want a repeat of Europe. Why are people so damn intolerant of other people's beliefs? Can't we just live and let live?

Where does religious fundamentalism even sprout from? Most Christians aren't bible-thumping imbeciles, most Muslims aren't hellbent on martyring themselves, and so on. Someone take the internet away from these people so we can all browse in peace.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Dear DestroyDestroyDestroy,

Of course there are bigoted and ignorant people who claim to be Christians that believe these things. There are also bigoted and ignorant atheists that believe pretty much the same about all believers. Do you really think all Christians are stupid and all atheists are smart? The best part was where you say the person quoted scripture as if that means anything. People misuse scripture all the time, believers and non-believers.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Most people dont care about die hard athiests, or about die hard religious people. Both sides are crazy to a degree, and both sides need to understand that the rest of us dont care about both of you. Beleive what you want and stop crying about how crazy and misunderstanding each side is. Youll be alot happier if you can handle that.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I think both Christians and Atheists can be abhorrently stupid, though I tend to see more logical claims coming from Atheists than I do people of faith. This makes sense, of course, because for one to have faith requires one to take a leap of faith, so to speak; there is little logic in most theology.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

Yeah I agree, I just wish die hards would stop voicing their opinions in such a disgusting manner.

ETA: I mean there are civil ways to disagree, even over the internet.
edit on 26-7-2012 by DestroyDestroyDestroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
All that was written by a dumb ass. Not a christian, a dumb ass.

I'm atheist, but i do not take offence from this at all, because it is not a christian attacking atheists, it's a dumb ass with a keyboard.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

† Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet atheists)

LOL, sounds like the person posting this stupid stuff is an atheist!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I think both Christians and Atheists can be abhorrently stupid, though I tend to see more logical claims coming from Atheists than I do people of faith. This makes sense, of course, because for one to have faith requires one to take a leap of faith, so to speak; there is little logic in most theology.

LOL. I disagree, I think atheism requires a leap of faith; but, then my belief in God comes partly from my belief and understanding of what sentience is. In either case, we agree that both belief sets have followers that are idiots and jerks. Peace.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

LOL. I disagree, I think atheism requires a leap of faith; but, then my belief in God comes partly from my belief and understanding of what sentience is. In either case, we agree that both belief sets have followers that are idiots and jerks. Peace.

No, no faith involved. It may take a lot to let go of the nonsense drummed in to your average Christian from a young age though, from a person on the fence though, it's extremely easy.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm not a label (athiest) I'm a human being who chooses not to believe in gods or fairys at the bottom of the garden.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I suppose it depends on which side of the spectrum you're coming from; if you believe that god's existence is default, then denial of god is a leap of faith, and vice versa. Personally, I believe that there is a force of creation, like a god if you will, but that there is no way it would have personified or anamorphic characteristics; i.e. it wouldn't belong to any gender or concern itself with the affairs of man. In truth, god is us and we are god; we're made up of the same matter which came from creation. Like I said, though, I'm not exactly an Atheist, but I can't bring myself to believe that any god would care for mankind any more than it cares for the rest of creation. And it definitely does not have a gender.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Dear SpearMint,

No, no faith involved. It may take a lot to let go of the nonsense drummed in to your average Christian from a young age though, from a person on the fence though, it's extremely easy.

Let's see. My tone was civil, my words were kind and I attempted to avoid all conflict. You choose to ridicule, fair enough. Show us your genius, explain sentience and then explain why we should believe that their is a sentience greater than ourselves or you end up calling yourself God, the sentience of the universe. That does require a leap of faith or that you deny that anything is more conscious than you. Another choice is to start your own thread on your point rather than attempt to derail this thread.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Do people really think this about athiests?

Fortunately, most atheists and Christians alike, are of average or better intelligence. But there will always be those like this person who are looking to hate on someone or something. Their life just isn't complete unless they are feeding their demons(pun intended).

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I have a problem with so called "sentience."

If GOD is a universal force, which I believe it is, it is not aware of us, imo, any more than gravity is, or any other universal force. My "GOD" is mathematical and not personified with human emotions, just IS.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Im not religous so I guess im a atheist, but I will still say Merry Christmas to others. It drives me crazy when I hear about some atheist group demanding some religous symbol taken down, if you dont like look away, dont go there or find a hobby cause obviously they have to much time on their hands.

With that being said I also dont like religous people trying to push their beliefs on others, like demanding college campuses to remove vending machines that sell the birth control( "morning after pill") because its against god will or whatever bs they said. Also these religious group in Colorado tried to pass a proposition in my state of Mississippi to ban all abortions even when its a rape victim. They said we want to pass it in every state but we will try missisippi first cause they are people of faith.. Stay in your own state and keep your religion to yourself. The best part was the vast majority voted not to pass the propisition so these religious nuts gave up trying it in other states.

Thats my problem with religious people. They want everyone to live how they feel we should and believe what they do. They have proved it many times that if you dont go along with them they use violence. I believe religion is very bad and dangerous. religion caused many wars and millions of deaths, I dont recall Atheist starting a war.

The best part is these priest, ministers, and fathers are preaching to us about doing evil things and going to hell while they are raping and molesting children and murdering thier wife because she found out about his mistress. Even the higher ups in the church knew about the child abuse and they did nothing. Thats how religious people think DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO.

The only reason religious people do good is because they think it will get them into heaven, pretty shallow if you ask me. I dont need a priest to tell me whats right and wrong and I dont need the threat of hell to be a kind and giving person.

sorry, I sorta ranted.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Dear SpearMint,

Let's see. My tone was civil, my words were kind and I attempted to avoid all conflict. You choose to ridicule, fair enough. Show us your genius, explain sentience and then explain why we should believe that their is a sentience greater than ourselves or you end up calling yourself God, the sentience of the universe. That does require a leap of faith or that you deny that anything is more conscious than you. Another choice is to start your own thread on your point rather than attempt to derail this thread.

Where did I ridicule and how am I derailing?
edit on 26-7-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I suppose it depends on which side of the spectrum you're coming from; if you believe that god's existence is default, then denial of god is a leap of faith, and vice versa. Personally, I believe that there is a force of creation, like a god if you will, but that there is no way it would have personified or anamorphic characteristics; i.e. it wouldn't belong to any gender or concern itself with the affairs of man. In truth, god is us and we are god; we're made up of the same matter which came from creation. Like I said, though, I'm not exactly an Atheist, but I can't bring myself to believe that any god would care for mankind any more than it cares for the rest of creation. And it definitely does not have a gender.

I almost did not respond to your reply because I was afraid I was getting off topic; but, as you are the OP, I guess I can respond. I assume that any sentient being, a self aware, conscious being would have a preference, a personality. I was blessed to be born autistic and I view people by their choices more than by their appearance or attitude. I view people's personality as nothing more than what choices I can expect them to make, how they define themselves. I believe God knows what we will choose to accept and allows us to be that which we choose. This is really metaphysical; but, worthy of consideration.

There are many "new age" believers that say that we choose what type of person we will be and what type of events will occur in our lives before we are born into this world. I see it differently, we choose who we are and then we come here to test those choices. Who are you? That is the question we all must answer. The question of who we are rather than who we think we are.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

I have a problem with so called "sentience."

If GOD is a universal force, which I believe it is, it is not aware of us, imo, any more than gravity is, or any other universal force. My "GOD" is mathematical and not personified with human emotions, just IS.

Dear windword,

I believe you are looking at reality with a backwards approach. I think most people do. We should start with what we do know rather than what we believe the world is. This is a provable approach. I feel and experience, therefore I exist. I can think and symbolize thoughts, therefore I can understand more than just my experience. The next question should be obvious, "Am I the only sentience in the universe, am I alone?" If I am alone, how can I make the best of an eternity of solitary confinement? If there are others, are there others that know more than I do? The next one is about God, "Is there any sentient being that gets it all?" Answer them as you will. Peace.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Dear SpearMint,

Referring to people who believe as I do as "average christians" and believing whatever is drummed into our brains is definitely not respectful. I didn't have anything "drummed" into my brain. I was Catholic and left the church at age 12 because I didn't believe in some of their doctrine. I was agnostic for a decade and researched other religions and atheism. I didn't follow anyone's garbage when I became a Christian other than my own beliefs. You can ridicule them and call them stupid; but, they are mine and I take credit for them and blame nobody else for them.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Dear SpearMint,

Referring to people who believe as I do as "average christians" and believing whatever is drummed into our brains is definitely not respectful. I didn't have anything "drummed" into my brain. I was Catholic and left the church at age 12 because I didn't believe in some of their doctrine. I was agnostic for a decade and researched other religions and atheism. I didn't follow anyone's garbage when I became a Christian other than my own beliefs. You can ridicule them and call them stupid; but, they are mine and I take credit for them and blame nobody else for them.

1. Your average Christian... Meaning the large majority, a common Christian. How is that disrespectful.

2. It IS drummed in to most Christian kids, they're not given a choice, they're taught that it's what happened and it's taught as fact. From an early age they're taught that they are right. I should know, I went to a Christian school until grade 6, by then I had already made up my mind due to my ability to think away from the crowd and make decisions based on evidence and logic. You can't deny that this is true, maybe not all, but certainly the majority.

So as you can see, I was not disrespectful and remained very much on topic.
edit on 26-7-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join