I have looked over the web to find some actual evidence this actually took place but all I have is some hearsay.
I have a friend that works just outside DC in Maryland. My friend and I were chatting over a instant messenger client Wednesday and he mentioned to
me that one of his employees was bragging in the break room earlier day that there was a Kiosk just outside social services in Temple Hills, MD that
was giving out free cell phones, all that was needed as a government issued ID. He stated that his employee was showing off his new "Obama" phone.
My friend also stated the phone looked pretty nice. It wasn't an android phone but was a slider with a vibrant color touch display.
I have heard about this "Obama Phone" before. It is a government subsidized lifeline service paid for by the universal service fund. Basically
everyone that has a cell phone service pays into this fund. I checked my bill and it comes to about $1.50. My feelings on this are mixed and I'll
save that for another thread. Another ATS member posted a thread a few months back that outlines the program.
Here is a list of reasons something just doesn't sit right with me.
- First off why are people referring to this program as the "Obama Phone"? This program existed before President Obama was elected.
- If the claims of my friend’s employee are true then why was the only thing required to obtain this phone only an ID. According to assurance
wireless website, the provider for this program there are guidelines and requirements before being approved. The website states you have to mail or
fax in an application and wait
- Why was the person that obtained this phone instantly off the street outside social services referring to this as his "Obama Phone"? Was there
some kind of marketing or materials stating this was an Obama program?
- The population density in the area is quite high, just over 7,000 people per square mile. The area is rundown and crime ridden and despite what
Wikipedia states the area is host to a large number of people living around the poverty line.
Now while doing some research for this thread, I came across some a few links I would like to share. I must state in disclaimer that I am not a fan
Both the above links speak on this government program and how it appears to being spun to benefit the President and his campaign.
This link is what outrages me the most.
It appears that the Obama campaign either directly or another organization that supports President Obama is attempting to appeal to welfare recipients
in attempt to garner support.
My questions to the ATS community are:
- Does anybody have any knowledge that some agency was handing out free cell phones Tuesday afternoon?
- How does everybody feel about being taxed a buck and change every month to pay for free cells phones for welfare recipients?
- Does anybody else believe this may be some sly marketing attempt by the Obama campaign to strengthen support in poor urban areas?