It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when the 2nd Amendment is attacked? People Buy More Guns!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunyadammm
Lots more innocent people being shot to death.
That is what has happened so far.

Actually, the US homicide rate has been trending sharply downward over the last 20 years, despite record gun sales. The overall homicide rate is about half what it was in 1991 and in the latest year I've seen data, which was 2010, there were fewer total homicides than in any year since 1969.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

Part of it I am sure is a perception of (future) scarcity and part of it is a herd mentality (scared). If you recently bought a gun - learn safety first (especially if there are kids in the house) and then learn to shoot well (control of the gun trumps ''gun control'' per se).

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Originally posted by nunyadammm
Lots more innocent people being shot to death.
That is what has happened so far.

Actually, the US homicide rate has been trending sharply downward over the last 20 years, despite record gun sales. The overall homicide rate is about half what it was in 1991 and in the latest year I've seen data, which was 2010, there were fewer total homicides than in any year since 1969.

Actually the DEATH BY GUNSHOT rate does not coincide.
Lots of people used to get murdered in Florida.
Now less people are murdered in Florida with the same number of bodies.
How?
SYG is just one reason that homicide rates fell while justified homicide rates have been skyrocketing.
Someone shot to death that did not need to be is still someone shot to death that did not need to be no matter what category your pollster puts them in.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So what you are saying is that Obama and all Liberals are trying to take your guns away and you think it is funny because you keep getting more gun rights all while Obama and these same Liberals are still in power?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nunyadammm

Generally speaking, I'm not that concerned about justifiable homicides. I have no issue with someone defending themselves or their families from a criminal breaking into their home or otherwise presenting an immediate threat. I'm sure there are occasional cases where it didn't have to happen, but in those cases, its no longer justifiable and should be classed as a homicide.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

I appreciate the response. You've stated two(?) reasons why you want to buy a gun now. The first one is perfectly reasonable; you just want one. The second one is because you heard Obama wants to enlist people between the ages of 16-25? I don't think that's true...unless you've got something that actually says that. What kind of enlistment? Forced or voluntary? Serving in the military or serving in some other capacity?

reply to post by CosmicCitizen

So you're speculating that it's propaganda that's driving the sales of guns up? That's what I was trying to figure out. Whenever the NRA says that a democrat is going to 'get your guns' then gun sales skyrocket, irregardless of whether or not there's any tangible evidence of the action.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Some guy goes and uses a hundred round mag in a theater shooting - It jams because that's what hundred round mags do, and you go and buy some? Classic.

He had the cheap Korean spin-off rather than the BETA mags that I bought.

Besides, if a ban ever occurs those things will be worth their weight in gold!

I don't even want to think about the local shop near me. On any regular day there's a dozen people in it at least. Since the shooting, the place must be packed! I won't know though - Ever since they put up a Mitt Romney banner smack dab in the middle of the store, I decided it's time to find a new gun shop.

HAA!

It never pays when a business owner takes a political stance. Either way you swing you’re likely to alienate some customers….not a smart move.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I've never believed in having such high capacity magazines either. I figure that if I cannot take out my target within 10 shots at a minimum, I deserve to lose that dual.

Awe…come on!

It’s a novelty – kind of like owning a derringer or a S&W 500 revolver.

Besides, it’s nice to load that bad boy up and shoot for a while without a mag change.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

So what you are saying is that Obama and all Liberals are trying to take your guns away and you think it is funny because you keep getting more gun rights all while Obama and these same Liberals are still in power?

I KNOW they are trying to take our guns away…Obama recently said so but Harry Reid didn’t want any part of it this close to an election.

I don’t think there’s anything funny about it at all; it worries me. I was simply pointing out that every time they take a step towards gun control gun ownership soars even further! The anti-gun crowd is causing more gun ownership. If this cycle continues it will be virtually impossible to enforce a full ban in the future because the overwhelming majority of the country will own guns….the government wouldn’t stand a chance taking them away!

As far as Obama and his crew remaining in power....give it a few months. I think you'll be singing a different tune in November.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I KNOW they are trying to take our guns away…Obama recently said so but Harry Reid didn’t want any part of it this close to an election.

YOU KNOW NOTHING.
Obama has already been president for a term and not only did he not go after your guns, he let you have more freedom with them.

I live in reality, not Sean Hannity's imagination where you all seem to be at.

I don’t think there’s anything funny about it at all; it worries me. I was simply pointing out that every time they take a step towards gun control gun ownership soars even further! The anti-gun crowd is causing more gun ownership. If this cycle continues it will be virtually impossible to enforce a full ban in the future because the overwhelming majority of the country will own guns….the government wouldn’t stand a chance taking them away!

But nothing you just wrote reflects reality. What other imaginary things scare you?

As far as Obama and his crew remaining in power....give it a few months. I think you'll be singing a different tune in November.

Well then how is this entire premise not stupid?
You say you KNOW Obama is going to take your guns away.
You also think he will be out of his job soon.

I cannot wait to see how he pulls off both.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Generally speaking, I'm not that concerned about justifiable homicides. I have no issue with someone defending themselves or their families from a criminal breaking into their home or otherwise presenting an immediate threat. I'm sure there are occasional cases where it didn't have to happen, but in those cases, its no longer justifiable and should be classed as a homicide.

Ahh so you do not know how to read?
Homicide rate goes down.
Justifiable homicide rate goes up.
Overall people being shot to death climbs.

Need me to add 2 and 2 together for you?
Making murder legal does not really change things for the dead person.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

You sure about that? Again, the total number of US homicides per year has dropped by about 10,000 since the early 90s. According to the FBI the total number of justifiable homicides by civilians is only around 250-300.

Seems to me that the 'increase' in justifiable homicides in no way offsets the vast improvement in the overall homicide rate of the country.

And sorry, I'm not going to shed any tears if lil' Johnny Thug runs into the business end of a 12 gauge after breaking into someone else's home.
edit on 29-7-2012 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I have to accept the fact that you are playing the part of someone too stupid to be allowed to walk around town unleashed by this response.
"hey one number dropped and a different number is just a different number....look, one of them dropped."
Did you read your post before posting it?

Do you honestly think that people stopped murdering people at the same time people who deserve to be killed started running into people willing to kill them?

Does that really make sense to you?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

You're not real bright, are you? You''ve been trying to argue that the increase in justifiable homicides has offset the decrease in overall homicides over the last 20 years. The FBI says you're short about 9700 justifiable homicides per year. But don't let that get in the way of your whining and insults.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Can you tell me what percent of overall non-accidental and non-natural causes deaths that works out to be?
Keep calling me stupid.
That is winning your argument quite well when you seem to be unable to even understand what mine is.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

YOU KNOW NOTHING.
Obama has already been president for a term and not only did he not go after your guns, he let you have more freedom with them.

I live in reality, not Sean Hannity's imagination where you all seem to be at.

You live in reality, huh? Obama hasn’t gone after guns at all?

I think Obama would beg to differ! Here he describes how gun control efforts are tougher now.

In this next video he says AK47’s belong on the battlefield and not the street and the sale of guns to criminals and mentally unbalanced people should be prevented. First of all, the second amendment doesn’t say the 'right to bear arms approved by the federal government'. Any law abiding American should be allowed to own an AK47. Secondly, there are already laws on the books to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Gun laws only affect law abiding citizens and never criminals because criminals don’t abide by laws.

The REALITY is that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

edit on 30-7-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
You live in reality, huh? Obama hasn’t gone after guns at all?

If you can show otherwise, please do.

I think Obama would beg to differ! Here he describes how gun control efforts are tougher now.

Too funny. Obama complains that it is harder to control guns and you somehow hear he took our guns away?
Did you forget we were going to talk about reality? The reality is that gun control is harder.

See if you can work out what that means without me having to explain it to you.

In this next video he says AK47’s belong on the battlefield and not the street and the sale of guns to criminals and mentally unbalanced people should be prevented.

So what? He has an opinion about guns. That does not magically make them gone.

First of all, the second amendment doesn’t say the 'right to bear arms approved by the federal government'.

So you have nuclear weapons?

Any law abiding American should be allowed to own an AK47.

Especially quadriplegics, and those with nervous conditions, amiright?

Secondly, there are already laws on the books to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Gun laws only affect law abiding citizens and never criminals because criminals don’t abide by laws.

Just like drug laws only effect illegal drug users?

Oh my bad. I did not realize you forgot what you were arguing.
You are supposed to be showing me how Obama is taking my guns, not reading from NRA pamphlets about why there should be less laws than there are because blah blah blah blah.
Don't care about any of that off topic nonsense.

The REALITY is that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

edit on 30-7-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Apparently I do. I still have all my guns. Who came and took yours?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join