It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After delays, massive US bunker-buster available

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Two things come to mind.... The cost of this bomb..? How many million dollars did it cost, and how many did they build.
The second item is what will this do to the crustal plate? Surely the distribution of force to the surrounding strata can't be good. Will tremors and earthquakes follow the blast, will it trigger a much larger earthquake?
And beyond the 'two' things, how much of the 'Kill Iran' propaganda can we believe, how much is created to further Israel's agenda.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Great maybe we can use them on the DUMB's...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

If you honestly believe that Russia would sacrifice major cities like Moscow, or China sacrifice major cities like Beijing for some Middle Eastern crap hole like Syria or Iran via a full scale nuclear exchange with the U.S. and NATO then you're in for a big surprise. There's no way in hell modern civilized nations would destroy each other over these crap hole countries that contribute absolutely NOTHING to the human race except misery and a vile repugnant ideology called islam.
edit on 27-7-2012 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

If you honestly believe that Russia would sacrifice major cities like Moscow, or China sacrifice major cities like Beijing for some Middle Eastern crap hole like Syria or Iran via a full scale nuclear exchange with the U.S. and NATO then you're in for a big surprise. There's no way in hell modern civilized nations would destroy each other over these crap hole countries that contribute absolutely NOTHING to the human race except misery and a vile repugnant ideology called islam.
edit on 27-7-2012 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

Best post of the day.
Agree 100%

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
OMG THE USA HAS WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!!

QUICK SOMEONE INVADE THEM FOR THE BETTERMENT OF MANKIND!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Propaganda is only wrong when it lies. And you'd have a great deal of problem convincing me Syria doesn't need intervention. Iran is another story, but they are slowly going their way to the grave.

That said, to assume US intervention is another story as well. I like how Libya ended up. I see no reason to cease such a policy over Syria.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Look! We have more tools of destruction! This will just be more death weaponry for tptb to use. I don't see why bombs exist. After seeing some of the videos posted of the tptb murdering tons and tons of people - this will not be any different! Just mass murder. And for what? Freedom? What is freedom, do we have it, and is it worth taking a life. Why are we fighting for gun laws? Lemme guess - to call ourselves in-control, protected, or safe? Not with this thing in their hands.

After all, who are we fighting? The powers that be, or each other? Yes, I consider the US government tptb.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyinghaggis

Is this weapon the MOAB, FOAB, or maybe GOAB?

no it's Massive Ordnance Penetrator

MOP.

uhhhh heheheh... penetrator.
uhhhh hehehe

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: S&F!

Now they have something that MAY do the job ... what miltary assets can carry and deploy such extremely heavy ordinance?

Personal Disclosure: No point having such things if they can't deploy it in a war theater of operations!

Never seen a "b-52"? The heavy bomber not the"love shack folks"

[ext]this project’s goal is a GPS-guided, hard-penetrating weapon that can be carried aboard B-52 Stratofortress or B-2 Spirit bombers to defeat “a specialized set of hard and deeply buried targets” like bunkers and tunnel facilities. Some graphics show expectations of over 60 feet of concrete destroyed, and a USAF article stated that the bomb was meant to penetrate 200 feet underground before exploding.[/ext]
www.defenseindustrydaily.com...
edit on 27-7-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Given the fact that the B-52 is over 60 years old and easily taken out with the latest SAMS, and the 30 year old B-2 which only a hand full were ever built what was the point of the thread?

Warmongering just because a weapon system was built means war!!!!

That is hilarious, and the Moab could only be carrired by a C-130 Hercules.and has never been used in a theatre conflict.

Golf clap for the arm chair "defense anaylist's".

Syria built Chemical weapons that means they are going to use them!!!

Iran is building nuclear weapons that means they are going to use them!!!!.
edit on 27-7-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Originally posted by Juggernog

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Originally posted by Flyinghaggis

Is this weapon the MOAB, FOAB, or maybe GOAB?

It's the "MOP" aka the Massive Ordnance Penetrator.

The ladies must love this

Man that was funny!

I hope as many people as possible see it before it gets taken down.

Ladies reply : Are you calling me fat?!
I couldn't resist,

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Given the fact that the B-52 is over 60 years old and easily taken out with the latest SAMS, and the 30 year old B-2 which only a hand full were ever built what was the point of the thread?

Warmongering just because a weapon system was built means war!!!!

That is hilarious, and the Moab could only be carrired by a C-130 Hercules.and has never been used in a theatre conflict.

Golf clap for the arm chair "defense anaylist's".

Syria built Chemical weapons that means they are going to use them!!!

Iran is building nuclear weapons that means they are going to use them!!!!.
edit on 27-7-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Neo, read the thread again.

The fuel/air MOAB is not the topic.

What is with the jab towards the couple of us who research this type of subject matter well enough to have an opinion?

I did my bit over 25 years ago years ago, studied aerospace engineering in school and have my private pilot certificate (expired)

I may be an armchair analyst but I am a knowledgeable one who is participating in a friendly, non technical Internet discussion.

What's the problem with that?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This would be a pretty neat bomb if it was still relevant to the discussion. Unfortunately.....Development for this began a decade ago and it may have been effective .....a decade ago. Since then? Well....

And..according to this:

Quick Reference Poster for Fordow Nuclear Facility (PDF)

The base is believed to be 80 meters or considerably further below that. Now, as my math goes....that comes up short enough to start a war with no mission accomplished on even the single location at Fordow. Ouch...and that is IF a new weapon works eactly as the tests went. Oh, that always happens, of course.

They are basing this war on entirely too many new and fancy systems that are just TOO new for an enemy that is likely going to fight BACK with everything they have

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Its all about the shock wave, the bomb does not need to reach the depth of its target to destroy it.

I am not rooting for an attack on Iran however if the USAF is tasked with destroying Iran's nuclear facilities they will succeed.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Well, they sure had better. If you checked the PDF, it shows the projected performance going all the way up to using the nuclear penetrator in the inventory. IT doesn't even show shock waves making it deep enough on the scale to collapse rooms in the base itself.

If they get this wrong, a whole lot of people will pay an unthinkable price in the war that follows. I don't know about you but I've been watching our leadership which includes Panetta and people like the Lt. General in Kabul running the little house of horrors hospital with 150 million of our tax money and I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling this time around.

They're actually doing this with far LESS than Iraq was being done with after Saddam had been depleted under a decade of sanctions. It was too few then and we paid...it's LESS now and Iran is many many times the size with no such sanction handicap to live under. Nothing remotely like it. So...I sure hope they get it 100% There is no alternative.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree with your sentiment although I would make the distinction that unless something changes this is nothing like the action against Iraq in that nobody is talking about putting boots on the ground and hanging Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Perhaps small actions with special forces operators in a scenario where bombing is not feasible or undesirable but as far as I understand current western political intent, a land invasion to effect an overt regime change is out of the question.

I Think the 1981 Israeli strike against the Iraqi Osiris nuclear facility would be a better comparison.

yes I read the PDF, cool graphic.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I thought the MOAB was used in Afghanistan a couple times for a "psychological" effect? Does anyone know if it was ever deployed for use in Afghanistan?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

The BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter" was used a number of times in Afghanistan. That was 15,000lbs and considered the Mother of All Bombs until this latest version popped out for all to see.

Gary Bernsten led the 'Jawbreaker' team and wrote a book of the same name about the experience. That was the CIA command element that helped the Northern Alliance take Kabul and chase Bin Laden into Tora Bora before the Bush Admin called him and his team off...some believe...just before bagging the biggest trophy in the world.

Anyway... His book described in detail, calling in a couple of these strikes and doing assessments on foot afterward. Wow.. This little one, on open ground against AQ fighters just erased them. As if nothing had ever been....gone... poof. It's a pretty staggering thing to consider. Anyway.. You asked and I know that book is one to specifically detail a 1st person account of bomb damage assessment after a MOAB strike.

*Quick note before someone catches it... The GBU-43 is a larger version at 10 tons/22,000lbs and it became available in 2003, but I can't see records of it being used? Maybe someone else knows about it being dropped in combat?
edit on 29-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

*Quick note before someone catches it... The GBU-43 is a larger version at 10 tons/22,000lbs and it became available in 2003, but I can't see records of it being used? Maybe someone else knows about it being dropped in combat?

From the Directory of U.S. Military Rockets and Missiles...

The first guided flight of an inert MOAB occurred on 7 March 2003, and four days later the first live drop was successfully conducted.In April, a single GBU-43/B bomb was shipped to Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom, but in the end it was not used. No information is available about how many GBU-43/B units were built, or how many (if any) are currently in the USAF's inventory.
AFRL GBU-43/B MOAB

Global security has a decent write-up on the GBU-43, quoted in part below...

MOAB Chronology

In early 2002, the AF Munitions Directorate began to investigate the possibility of upgrading the large BLU-82 weapon with a guidance and control capability. Such an upgrade would allow the delivery aircraft to fly higher for better survivability and safety from the weapon's blast. It would also give the weapon greater range and accuracy, opening the door to additional target sets. After several design iterations gave the weapon a more aerodynamic shape, the current configuration of the MOAB was born. Work on the program began in 2002 and was set for completion in 2003.

Within nine months, the MOAB program went from development contract award to the completion of three highly successful flight tests. During the flight tests, the MOAB detonated upon contact with the ground. The program culminated in the successful demonstration of a suite of technologies supporting large weapons.

Testing began at Eglin as part of an Air Force Research Lab Technology Demonstration Project. With support from the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Natick Army Soldier Center, Naval Coastal Systems Station- Panama City, Air Transportation Test Loading Agency, Detachment 1 of the 46th Test Wing at Hurlburt Field, and Dynetics, Inc., directorate engineers rapidly and successfully designed, fabricated, integrated, and tested the huge MOAB weapon.

On 11 March 2003 he Air Force tested its Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) weapon at the Eglin Air Force Base Air Armament Center's western test range, dropped from a C-130.

Eglin Air Force Base's Air Armament Center conducted the second live test of the largest conventional bomb in the US inventory at approximately 2:30 p.m. EST 21 November 2003. Designated the GBU-43/B, the 21,700-pound bomb was launched from an MC-130E Combat Talon I aircraft flown by a crew assigned to Eglin's 46th Test Wing. One objective was to collect more data and provide it to the user to assist in targeting. Also, the Air Force wanted to certify MOAB on the Combat Talon I aircraft as previous launches had been made from the MC-130 Combat Talon II.
GBU-43/B "Mother Of All Bombs" MOAB - Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb

Here is a short bit from the Discovery Channels Future Weapons series that gives a few more details and shows some impressive test footage.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join