It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon’s 30,000-pound bunker-buster ‘superbomb’ ready for use

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
We've been hearing about bunker busters for years with MOAB and all its variants in the U.S. and in the RF. No doubt, they did not work well enough in Tora Bora which was the last place I heard of them being used. The guy walked out in the dead of night. So, mark me down as someone who would be fairly comfortable 1000 ft below the surface with a mountain above me - no matter what the bomb experts say - they haven't done enough testing in real world situations.

The real issue here is whether Iran is within its rights to seek nuclear power and/or nuclear weapons. Well, they're a sovereign nation. We might not like much of what they do but unless we can pinpoint approaches that they take in reaching their goals that either involve criminal enterprises, violation of their treaties, or acts of war, i.e. an armed attack, we should go back to fixing our own broken economy. 'Armed attack' definitionally encompasses preemption so they can't put a nuke on top of a ballistic missile and aim it at somebody and not expect a phone call. (That 'right' appears reserved for the super powers by the super powers so maybe argue with them. )

If I were Iran, I would very carefully analyze the cost-benefit of a nuke approach. Besides the high cost of just building and maintaining the junk there is a huge downside politically. They have rich neighbors that they aren't on good terms with. They are intelligent people and can understand theories of escalation even in the absence of actual offensive capabilities, i.e. take your hand out of your pocket to prove you don't have a gun, 'cause if you don't, I'm walking across the street to buy one. Why spend hard earned cash on this nonsense when nobody is trying to invade your sovereign territory? Better to build great buildings, feed your people for free, and do research into problems nobody has solved.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BSTStar
So, mark me down as someone who would be fairly comfortable 1000 ft below the surface with a mountain above me - no matter what the bomb experts say - they haven't done enough testing in real world situations.

this sounds like the perfect opertunity for more testing.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Messageforhumanity

Look - the OP started a reasonable thread. If you're the Mahdi, then go get back on your horse and do your thing. If you've got something to say about the use of a 30,000 lb bunker buster, then say it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join